All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am

Post subject: OPEN CALL: Ideas for Balin Moria Reclamation Campaign
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:17 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Greetings One-Ringers!

For those of you who don't know me, (pretty new here, but been SBGing since launch) I a bit of a sucker for huge boards and big campaigns. I just finished my most recent project; a massive Osgiliath board, designed for a long-form Resource based Campaign. See the vid below;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP9mfJNltlI&t=3s

THE BOARD
The next board I'm looking at designing, is a multilayered Moria complex, that replicates all the key landmarks of Khazad Dum, compressed into one continuous space. It will be 9 feet long and five feet wide. On one short end will be the Hollin gate and the other the Dimrill gate. In between, spread across three playable layers, there will be the 1st and 2nd and 21st halls, The Chamber of Marzarbul, the Crossroads and the bridge of Khazad Dum, plus a whole host of other Dwarven infrastructure.

Cramming all of this in whilst maintaining a functional playable board is very important so I've spent the last week measuring out a full scale architectural drawing and then compressing that into a layered scale drawing using trace paper for each layer. Here is that scale drawing;

Level Three:
Top of the stairs, 21st Hall, Chamber of Marzarbul

Level Two:
First few lights of stairs, assorted Chambers, Dimrill Gate, 1st Hall, Crossroads

Level Three:
Base of stairs, 2nd Hall, Bridge of Khazad Dum, Hollin Gate

THE CAMPAIGN
So, apart from being a great board to play some Fellowship scenarios the main goal is to play a series of linked scenarios representing Balin's reclamation of Moria. The Campaign will cover his initial retaking, his 10 year tenure as king, and his defeat.

The way the campaign will function is through an EVENT DECK. The Campaign will have a fixed intro Scenario to represent the initial Reclamation. Then in the Campaign Turn the Dwarven player will flip over a card from the event deck which will determine what the next scenario to play is. These scenarios will represent various event in the Timeline of Balin's Tenure that challenge his rule; Goblin Raids, troll raids, resource shortages etc. In each scenario the Good and Evil player will have objectives and score points. Then after the whole scenario the player with the most points wins. The Campaign will end when the Dwarven player flips the card in the event deck that triggers the End Scenario; Balin slain at Mirrormere and the defeat of the sons of Durin.

THE QUESTION

SO. After all that backstory, here is where I need you guys. I've been obviously doing a lot of research and development but I'd love ideas for the following:

- Ideas for Scenarios in the Event Deck (Stuff in the vein of Goblin Raids, Troll Raids, Dragon Attack, especially keen on more left field ideas than a standard battle, what stuggles could the dwarves go through, famine, disease etc.)
- Ideas for General Dwarven Archiecture (What features of Moria could I pack in, store rooms, forges, mines, infirmary. Rooms that can translate into gameplay effects are of particular importance.)

I hope this is interesting to some of you guys, and thanks in advance to everyone.

Cheers,

~Hasufel

EDIT:
Here is a google doc of all sugestions so far from you incredible people <3
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

PS MODS

Please move this thread to where is appropriate, I had no idea where to put it <3

Last edited by Hasufel on Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: OPEN CALL: Ideas for Balin Moria Reclamation Campaign
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:50 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I saw your Osgiliath board and it was absolutely stunning, I only dream of terrain like that. For your Moria campaign I'd advise looking at the Shadow and Flame sourcebook and Moria one. These both have scenarios in from Balin's reclamation of Moria (especially Shadow and Flame) and both have pictures of Moria boards in. Will there be a similar video about the Moria board with a overview and small tutorial?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

1. Hostage taking of Balin's expeditionaries, with new rules for those models.
2. Goblins with access to uruk-hai bombs, or something to that effect. Goblins can destroy passages, sealing off individual units. Goblins can climb and leap according to old rules, but Dwarves cannot. Dwarves have to climb over the blockages or remove them in some fashion.
3. Scouts report a self-titled goblin king, Durbruz. Invade his lair and destroy it. Do not allow him to escape.
4. The watcher in the water has taken up residence in the pool of stars. It has conscripted an army of allies to protect it. Fortunately, the wood elves are more than happy to assist their allies in removing it.
5. The watcher in the water has taken up residence in a cavern that can only be crossed by a thick bridge formed from a fallen column. It can use its tentacles to attack forces on the bridge or in the water, but those on shore must be attacked by the full-bodied resin model. After destroying a certain amount of tentacles, the watcher is forced to reveal itself, which it does by surfacing (in its rule set). But now it can be killed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:48 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

6. The dwarves are transporting a pony baggage train of supplies and tools overland and goblins ambush said train and escape with some many ponies of the one board edge.

7. Goblin raid on dwarven supply store with the goblins trying to burn tents and carry off barrels from an encampment in one of the bigger halls.

8. A fight to the last man between a small group of dwarves and an infinite tide of goblins. The battle goes on until all the dwarves are dead but the dwarves can "win" by having killed a certain number of goblins depending on the turn number. The higher the turn the more goblins the dwarves have to have killed before they go down, to a certain point.

9. Dwarves fighting in a section of the mines that is totally dark and have lost their torches. Charge range shorted to 3'in. Dwarves with bows must shoot at whatever is closest to them, good or evil, if it is between 3'in 5'in after the force is broken. Using flee to board edge rather than die if you fail a break role too. Goblins act as normal, save that prowlers treat everything they fight as being trapped for their backstabber rule.

10. Cards that just gives a status effect to whatever scenario comes next. Dwarf player has to role to see what his army gets afflicted with from the table on the card and then has to role to see if each model in the army has it. Effects like -1 strength and -1 movement for malnutrition; minus 3'in to heroic action response distance and -1 to hit roles when shooting for sinus infection; goblin bane for battle hardened veterans; -1 to hit role, -1 to courage, and forced shielding in outnumbered for bad nerves/stress. That sort of thing. But only one status effect can be applied to the army at a time and it would be run into trouble in larger games.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:52 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

WOW. [word deleted] me I love this community. Those are some incredible suggestions. Let me reread them all in depth for a second.

TheTarkLord wrote:
Will there be a similar video about the Moria board with a overview and small tutorial?

Thanks man I'm glad you liked it. Those books were already a huge influence, you're so right. There will definitely be a big video man, and then a series of battle reports. I'm hoping to get the board done within 6 months too, rather than the 7 years it took the last one.

GreatKhanArtist wrote:
. Goblins can climb and leap according to old rules, but Dwarves cannot.

GKA, these suggestions are all amazing. Thanks buddy. I'm not familiar with difference between old and new leaping/climbing, would you enlighten me?

Wan Shi Tong wrote:
Dwarves fighting in a section of the mines that is totally dark and have lost their torches.

Cards that just gives a status effect to whatever scenario comes next.

All of these are amazing too. Thanks man. I especially like the concept of the army effects. Perthaps There is an EVENT DECK, for determining the scenarios, and an additional deck to represent the state of the dwarves. This deck could contain a whole host of different statuses. There could be positive buff cards that the dwarf player could ear to counter them. So if they manage to complete a supply recovery mission, they could gain a well fed buff that could be used to counter a starvation debuff.

I also love the idea of torches and playing in the dark. I've already been thinking a bit about this and will definitely incorporate into some scenarios to help add flavour.

KEEP THEM COMING you amazing people!

I will add all these to an ideas google doc so I can keep track of them all and link it in the original post.

¬Hasufel
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ha, ha, *I* want to play Wan Shi Tong's ideas!

P. 19, 2001 v. of rule set: "Special Rule: Moria Goblins and Climbing: Moria goblins are adapted to their cavernous habitat beneath the mountains and can scuttle up sheer surfaces with the aid of hooks, spines and spikes incorporated into their armour. To represent this, we allow them to climb much more efficiently than other creatures. Moria goblins can climb up or down vertical surfaces without making a climb roll - in effect they always count as having rolled a 6 on the chart. However, they're still reduced to half speed while climbing - even Moria goblins can move about more quickly on the ground!"

I've always pictured these guys climbing over the walls in waves. Maybe add the goblin town swarm rules, too?

Lately I've been getting back issues of Wargames Illustrated from my FLGS. Although there are no LoTR games covered within, there are some beautiful tables and lots of painted minis from different eras and full of eye candy. Anyway, they have scenarios for lots of systems that I find quite inspiring. Who said Napoleon's problem with supplies wasn't also Balin's problem?

11. Many of the heroes of Erebor survived and are willing to assist Balin's troops.

12. Probably not cannon, but: Dragon sickness has come to the peoples of Khazad Dum, turning brother against brother and king against king. Two factions of dwarves from different army lists duke it out under the mountain.

13. Unleash hell: Leave the miniatures alone on the table overnight. Wait for the worst spawn of Ungoliant, the house cat, to come in the night. Anyone left standing survived the battle and should be commended. Watch your feet afterwards.

14. This one is inspired by a later scenario in A Shadow in the East. Unlikely allies: The usual discord between Sauron's forces can be used to an advantage by the dwarves. The dwarves ally themselves with a faction of goblins/orcs to wipe out a "common" enemy.

15: This one is inspired by the classic kidnapping scene of Merry and Pippin from T2T. Chaos for Cover: Once again, the dark forces are embroiled in a conflict of command. This mutiny has been viewed and perhaps orchestrated by a band of dwarf scouts. Much as Merry and Pippin used the opportunity to escape their captors, the scouts use the opportunity to rescue a key figure (pun intended). Like Cirdan in Fall of the Necromancer, this person is severely wounded and cannot move on his own steam. Using their "elvish" cloaks (perhaps a gift from their allies after defeating the watcher in the water together) and the rules for sentries, the dwarves make their way to their incapacitated hero. They are ignored by the two forces until they come within a certain distance of an enemy warrior, a la sentry rules. Meanwhile, Sharku the head-taker is attempting to restore order by killing his traitorous troops. After he has killed a certain amount of orcs/goblins, the conflict ends and the dwarves are immediate targets. Note that the hero must be carried and is treated as a heavy object.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

On the topic of Chaos, check out the DC Hobbit League's page and download their Chaos in Arda cards. Lots of fun ideas there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If you haven't seen it already, check out Ninjameister Khazad-Dum thread in the wip - might give you some ideas for your board.

Scenario wise - on lower level tap on the wrong wall that releases a flood of water that they have to escape from within a certain amount of time with goblins or a dweller in the dark in the way?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:16 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

GreatKhanArtist wrote:
Ha, ha, *I* want to play Wan Shi Tong's ideas!

P. 19, 2001 v. of rule set: "Special Rule: Moria Goblins and Climbing
I've always pictured these guys climbing over the walls in waves. Maybe add the goblin town swarm rules, too?

Who said Napoleon's problem with supplies wasn't also Balin's problem?

The climbing is awesome! What's the swarm rule?

Yeah non LOTR scenarios are totally a good inspiration zone. Balin is just another general after all.

Dragon sickness is a great idea hahaha, make for a fun scenario. When the card is flipped anyone in a certain mine becomes enemy controlled. Good players can't strike against their own brothers. Might be an even better status cards. When it's flipped, at the start of each turn doll a D6 for any models in one of the mines. On the roll of a 1, the enemy gains control of that model.

I have two very playful kittens who would love unleash hell :D I think my all metal dwarves might fare better than the goblins!

Common enemy is fun too. Then the ultimate and inevitable betrayal.

Hostage rescue is brilliant :D Have to do that.

All gold man, all gold!

GreatKhanArtist wrote:
On the topic of Chaos, check out the DC Hobbit League's page and download their Chaos in Arda cards. Lots of fun ideas there.

I'll have a squiz :)

Mapper wrote:
If you haven't seen it already, check out Ninjameister Khazad-Dum thread in the wip - might give you some ideas for your board.

Scenario wise - on lower level tap on the wrong wall that releases a flood of water that they have to escape from within a certain amount of time with goblins or a dweller in the dark in the way?

FLOODING IS AWESOME. Such a cool idea. I'll definitely check out the thread :)

Thanks guys :)

MOOOOOOREEEEEEE

¬Hasufel
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Rearguard: A large goblin force laden with plunder, treasures and captives has been defeated and is retreating over a narrow bridge. The main force is demoralised and largely unarmed it is really just a slow moving mass of figures and maybe carts. The fighting part comprises a rear guard and two flank guards. The dwarves are closing in from the rear and flanks in an attempt to cut the goblins off from the bridge and recover the captives one of whom is Balin's grandson. Determine order of arrival randomly. The dwarves win by recovering Balin's great grandson. Taking and holding the bridge for three turns is an outright victory and assumes the annihilation of the trapped goblins as the main Dwarf force arrives. Goblins win by getting the great grandson, half their number and half the plunder over the bridge. Goblins who get over the bridge have escaped and take no further part in the fight.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:53 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

dadlamassu wrote:
Rearguard: The dwarves win by recovering Balin's great grandson. Taking and holding the bridge for three turns is an outright victory and assumes the annihilation of the trapped goblins as the main Dwarf force arrives. Goblins win by getting the great grandson, half their number and half the plunder over the bridge.

This is such a cool idea man. I could even use the bride of Khazad Dum. A force of Gundabad and Moria Goblins have attached via the dimrill gate, raided the supplies and are retreating from the second hall, back over the bridge towards the dimrill gate. Have the strike force of Dwarves come from the stairs of Dwarrowdelf and the main Dwarf Army charging down the from the end of the Second Hall. Goblins have to break through the Dwarf strike force with plunder and captives before the main army catches them. Love it dude <3

GreatKhanArtist wrote:

Chaos in Arda is so awesome! Those cards have some sweet ideas man.

Mapper wrote:

That is a wonderfullllll board. I especially love his 21st hall. Great space to play in.

~Hasufel
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:09 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The great thing about Middle-earth is that there is so much material to work with, even if you do not adhere to the main characters or well-known stories. There is a wealth of background information in the chronologies and maps. Good luck with this one!

One recommendation: make maps on a computer, preferably with some sort of image editing/creation software like Paintshop as it allows you to build layers. That comes in handy for creating intact structures and devastated or long-abandoned versions of the same place and maintains the scale and layout.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dorthonion wrote:
Good luck with this one!

One recommendation: make maps on a computer, preferably with some sort of image editing/creation software like Paintshop as it allows you to build layers. That comes in handy for creating intact structures and devastated or long-abandoned versions of the same place and maintains the scale and layout.

Thanks man :)

I guess that's what I was trying to do with the trace paper, but you might be right for the different stages of ruinisation it could be cool to have digital maps. I'll need them for the scenario book anyway and I can just bang them out in Photoshop and Indesign easy enough.

Good idea man :)

~Hasufel
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:37 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Just got my sticky little paws on the second Best of WD LOTR compilation from the used bookstore. What a lucky find! There's a great article with rules for many of the things you are suggesting. It's at my parent't farm, but I will post a summary of the best rules when I get a chance.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:44 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wow dude that would be great, is that one of the ones that is themed around each film?

~Hasufel
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

From "Darkness Dwells in Durin's Halls", Best of WD 2:

1 Unnatural Darkness
2 The mines are no place for a pony
3 Ancestral Realm of the Dwarves
4 Crumbling Realm
5 Tremors
6 Roll twice more on this table

Unnatural Darkness: Moria is often covered in a pall of darkness that the sun cannot pierce. At the start of the game, roll om the Gloom chart to determine the level of visibility.

1: Pitch Black: The darkness is so total that warriors can barely see a hand in front of their face, let alone other warriors. Each time a model wishes to charge, cast a spell or shoot an enemy, he must first roll greater than or equal to the distance that separates them on a D6 (2D6 in cm). If the dice roll is not sufficient, then the model can instead attack a different enemy within the distance rolled. Might may be used to influence this roll.

2-5: Oppressive Darkness: some light penetrates the gloom, but most creatures cannot see far in such poor light. Elves, dwarves, trolls, orcs and Moria goblins can only see other models up to 12"/28 cm away and may not charge, cast a spell or shoot at targets outside this distance. All other creatures can only see 6"/14 c, into the darkness and many not charge, cast spells, or shoot at targets outside this distance.

[Personally, I'd change this to everything not on the Moria list as having poor vision.]

6: Ample Light: [as normal].

The mines are no place for a Pony: Though there are many places a horse can enter Moria, steeds dislike being underground and become very difficult to control. all cavalry models must take a courage test at the start of each of their move phases...flying creatures...will not enter Moria and may not be fielded...

Ancestral Seat of the Dwarves: All dwarves hold some hope of one day reclaiming Moria and so no dwarf will willingly flee a battle in the ancient seat of the dwarven kings... All dwarves may reroll any failed courage tests they are called upon to take in this game as they fight for more than just survival, but the restoration of their past glories. Conversely, elves have been very wary of the black pit of Moria and the horrors that lurk in its depths - all elves must reroll successful courage tests.

Crumbling Realm: Though once well tended, most of these stairways have since fallen into disrepair and are now treacherous. If a fight occurs on a bridge, stairway of beside a precipitous drop there is a chance that the combatants may lose their footing. At the start of the fight phase the controlling player rolls d6 for each of his models in such a fight. On the roll of 1-3, the model loses its balance and falls from the nearest edge of the stairway or bridge. Any models affected in this way suffer damage if they fall a distance greater than twice their height...

Tremors: This part of Moria is prone to ground quakes, either due to tectonic movements or subsidence in the caves below. To represent this, whenever players are tied in the priority roll an earthquake has struck - all models on the board are immediately knocked to the ground. Models with a strength of 6 or greater are only knocked to the ground if the roll for priority was 4+.

[And that's why I'm the *Great* Khan Artist.] :gimli:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Duuude, these are awesome! Some of these would be perfect to be attached to certain scenarios and some of them on the environment deck. Would really improve replayability to have such dynamic environmental effects changing scenarios randomly.

I'll make a section in the google doc for all these ideas.

Thanks again man.

I'll be going on a holiday to Middle Earth through November but I'll try and get construction underway in December and get some photos up :)

Thanks again for typing all those out!

~Hasufel
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:13 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

More official goodies: "The Return to Dwarrowdelf" by Matt Ward. DC Hobbit League has just unearthed a treasure trove of old WD articles and has lovingly posted them for your perusal.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:29 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

GKA strikes again! I did see that but haven't had time to peruse them, I'll check it out!

I'm currently running a monthly battle companies league. We're running a narrative campaign similar to the Quest to Fornost in the official supplement. Month two is Rohan so I'm currently banging out a few Rohirric bits and pieces and then month three is Moria so I'll try and get a start on at least the bottom level of Khazadum :D

There's month one if you're interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8iYH0P9GBw&

~Hasufel
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:23 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

If you play Angmar, hopefully you'll ignore thread necromancy. ;-)

17. Hangfire: I was researching about avalanche safety today, and I decided that the mountains of Middle Earth need one or two every now and then. I would use something similar to tremors (above), but use a nice fan shaped template to wipe out entire warbands. Think of it as mumak in the mountains. In our mountain passes, the gov't hires teams to set off explosives to trigger avalanches so they don't get so big they wreck the roads. (They close the road while they do this, but you can watch from your car. Pretty cool.) Maybe the uruks are trying to set off the avalanche with their bombs, or the dwarves are trying to lure their enemies into avalanche, trying to attack the snow pack with their ballista(e) at just the right time? Of course, a heroic sacrifice may need to be made...

Last edited by GreatKhanArtist on Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.