All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:57 am

Post subject: Re: The Hobbit Battle of Five Armies Trailer!!!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

because we still have no Bolg, let alone a Smaug from the last film.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Both of which will feature in the next movie as well, both of which would have been in the last movie when there were only two planned and both of which saw some redesigns that may have delayed production.
We even know with 99% certainty that plastic Laketown buildings were produced, but we also haven't seen them on sale.. yet.

GW only released Sauron 11 months after FotR, and the first Watcher in the Water (only tentacles originally) some 4 years after he was shown. Don't think they have as much of a long term plan for the Hobbit, but they certainly wanted to have some things left to release for the last film.
Besides.. we don't have updated rules for Bolg yet, nor any rules or scenarios for Smaug. Makes sense to release those with the last supplement, accompanied by models.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

My Smaug theory is that Smaug has always been intended for the Laketown scenes.

Mainly because when the Hobbit was two movies, each film was given a plastic terrain kit that tied into GWs big display boards and scenarios. Goblin Town and Lake Town. Why Laketown and not Dale ruins, or Erebor or something? Only one thing actually happens at Laketown, and it involves a dragon, a Bowman and a Black Arrow. We'll see the Laketown scenery, Bard firing upwards and Smaug at the same time, I think.

The reason we didn't get him for the last movie could be a combination of last minute design changes, GW wanting to preserve their already in place plans regarding Laketown and the fact that the DoS book had to be produced at least three months ahead of release, and at that point (going of the DoS EE documentary) the Smaug vs Dwarves sequence was little more than a glimmer in Peter Jackson's eye. He had some footage of Dwarves against greenscreen (though he may not even have had that, I can't be sure) and a vague idea of what might happen. The sequence wasn't finished until the last night before the film had to be sent to WB, and they pulled an all nighter trying to get it done.

As for Bolg? Well he was a last minute change - we know this because the trailers (and even merchandise) featured Azog in his place. So maybe they simply didn't know what he was going to look like. They could have pulled an Azog and released him late in the year, but I think with the weekly release schedule they want each week to have either something that'll sell lots, or lots of somethings that'll sell less well. Lets not delude ourselves into thinking that Bolg is anything but a thing that would sell less well - a space marine hero might carry gws profits for a week, bolg won't. So they've kept him back for release with some other stuff.

DoS gets a lot of hard time from a lot of people, but all this considered we did pretty well. Outside of the two examples above, we got pretty much everything - including two thranduils and the Gundabads who only appeared for about three seconds. A stretch to say the least, filling out the evil side so it wouldn't just be spiders and a dead guy from the last movie. If GW were half-arsing it, they wouldn't have done that.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Trailer is pretty good. I am not a fan of the Trolls with catapults on them, for carrying them it is a good idea, but for actual siege I think it looks ridiculous to fire and function. It reminds me again of King Kong, where PJ went over the top on every scene he could. The nine look cool.

I hope they make a lot of stuff for this. But there really is a lot of GW to make here, maybe too much for them to do and too much for most to afford. After all these years I am excited to finally not have to order ever again, so whatever is will be.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Probably watched this trailer one too many times :-D definitely made my day! The battle itself is going to be epic! Mostly looking forward to the Dol Guldur scenes with Saruman challenging Sauron (Christopher Lee has already confirmed that this is Saruman the good and wise so should be intriguing) Galadriel with Gandalf, Elrond looking like a boss and the Nine Wraiths all sent shivers down my spine. Aside from all that it looks like this is going to be a far more emotional movie than the previous two. If this film delivers like the trailer has promised then the whole trilogy might have an entirely different feel to it. Can't wait!

As for the miniatures lets just hope GW has made them all. Lots to look forward to...

Smaug with Laketown Scenery?
Bolg
Sauron in Necromancer form?
The Nine in twilight form
White Council at Dol Guldur with Wounded Gandalf?
Swarm of Bats
Thorins Company in Battle Armour
Dwarf Wind Lance with Black Arrow?
Troll with catapult
Troll without catapult
Half Troll (only just noticed the one standing in front of the catapult Trolls in the trailer)
Dain Ironfoot ft and Mtd on Boar
Dwarf Warriors of the Iron Hills
Dwarf Warriors of the Iron Hills Mounted on Armored Rams
Dwarf Ballista (from trailer)?
Bard, Lord of Dale
Men of Dale/Laketown
Azog Armored
Plastic Gundabad Orcs
Plastic Gundabad Orcs on Wargs Armored
Finecast Gundabad Great Orcs (from the trailer)?
Thranduil ft and mtd on Elk
Warriors of Mirkwood
Balin in his cart pulled by Rams

Would be brilliant if all of these were realeased.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:03 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

A Movie Guide was released then taken down... It had more than a few spoilers in it. I will post some that don't relate to plot very much and could influence what models we get.

- Bolg is leading the Gundabad forces.
- Azog is leading the Dol Guldor forces.
- Ravens hill is Azogs command post in the Battle and the company go there to try and kill him (from the trailer those ruins scenes where Thorin is fighting Azog).
- Galadriel is "tempted" by Sauron but resists then Saruman gives Sauron a shot (thats pretty much shown in the trailer) whilst Elrond single handedly fights off all of the 9 wraiths (This sounds awesome but a bit far fetched?). (This seems interesting though!!!!).
- The dwarves have even more 'beasts' on their side. Apparently other than boars and goats they have moles and worms as well.... (I hope that is wrong). Dain is on a Boar and not Goat like most of the other dwarves.
- The Elves have Cavalry of some sorts (Elks or Horses? I would love Elven Elk Cavalry with the impaler special rule, would be SO OP)

There was a few more plot spoiler ones but I won't post those.

My W.I.P - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28062
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sounds interesting, but the only thing I'll do is making my Elven Force bigger and bigger. Only Elves for me! Especcialy if there's going to be Mirkwood Cavalry!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If moles and worms is true I genuinely do not know what I will do...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:11 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

rigg1313 wrote:
A Movie Guide was released then taken down... It had more than a few spoilers in it. I will post some that don't relate to plot very much and could influence what models we get.

- Ravens hill is Azogs command post in the Battle and the company go there to try and kill him (from the trailer those ruins scenes where Thorin is fighting Azog).
- Galadriel is "tempted" by Sauron but resists then Saruman gives Sauron a shot (thats pretty much shown in the trailer) whilst Elrond single handedly fights off all of the 9 wraiths (This sounds awesome but a bit far fetched?). (This seems interesting though!!!!).
- The dwarves have even more 'beasts' on their side. Apparently other than boars and goats they have moles and worms as well.... (I hope that is wrong). Dain is on a Boar and not Goat like most of the other dwarves.
- The Elves have Cavalry of some sorts (Elks or Horses? I would love Elven Elk Cavalry with the impaler special rule, would be SO OP)

There was a few more plot spoiler ones but I won't post those.

Please PM me them, I loooove spoilers, I'm like a kid before xmas, always trying to tear a bit of the wrapping paper off to sneak at what's inside lol.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:46 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ah I read the original list assuming the shrews and worms and moles were on the evil side. There's no indication to assume they're on the good side, since the trolls are mentioned too. But I hope they keep rodents out of the movie entirely...

Richard Taylor: "We have Dwarves on huge armored boars and others on battle-machine chariots, pulled by armoured mountain goats. There are burrowing creatures – serpent like worms, giant shrews and moles – that might tunnel under the attacking army and come up in the middle of their forces; and great war-trolls specifically trained – and, in some cases, maimed . in order to make them more insane and effective in battle."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:53 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The end credits song is now out on youtube:

EDIT: Aaaand they removed it. Guess it must have been too early.

Given that this is the internet, I presume it'll crop up here and there until they put it back.

Last edited by Creaky on Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

And the soundtrack special edition album is for pre-order on Itunes: with previews of all the tracks including a bonus track from the Desolation of Smaug.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

rigg1313 wrote:
- whilst Elrond single handedly fights off all of the 9 wraiths (This sounds awesome but a bit far fetched?). (This seems interesting though!!!!).
- The dwarves have even more 'beasts' on their side. Apparently other than boars and goats they have moles and worms as well.... (I hope that is wrong)

That sounds pretty cool...I'll be glad if its a bit more structured than 'everyone meet in the middle'.

I wouldn't say Elrond v wraiths is too farfetched...I'm assuming that their not at full strength and this is Elrond half elven we're talking about.

I mean, Aragorn 'Fought off' all 9 wraiths in FOTR...and I'm assuming they were stronger at Weathertop.

Worms & Moles would make sense for Dwarves...but I really hope this isn't true.

Just booked my tickets to watch all three films back to back at my local...can't wait!

:boromir

My WIP - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28272
The Red Book of Westmarch
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:21 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The local cinema is running all 3 films back to back - the first 2 before midnight and TBoTFA after midnight on release day... there are going to some sore heads the next morning. I won't bother with that - I like to be wide awake and comfortable when dealing with dragons, goblins, trolls, orcs and ringwraiths. :)

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dorthonion wrote:
The local cinema is running all 3 films back to back - the first 2 before midnight and TBoTFA after midnight on release day... there are going to some sore heads the next morning. I won't bother with that - I like to be wide awake and comfortable when dealing with dragons, goblins, trolls, orcs and ringwraiths.

Same here on the first part of your post, but my ticket is ordered. Went to the LotR trilogy in a similar fashion (FotR 16.00-19.00, long break for dinner, TTT 20.30-23.30 and then RotK from 0.01 onwards), and although I am far less interested in the Hobbit movies (didn't even see the second one in cinemas), such a marathon is simply a nice special experience - which does include a sort of jetlag for the first few days afterwards, granted.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
Dorthonion wrote:
The local cinema is running all 3 films back to back - the first 2 before midnight and TBoTFA after midnight on release day... there are going to some sore heads the next morning. I won't bother with that - I like to be wide awake and comfortable when dealing with dragons, goblins, trolls, orcs and ringwraiths.

Same here on the first part of your post, but my ticket is ordered. Went to the LotR trilogy in a similar fashion (FotR 16.00-19.00, long break for dinner, TTT 20.30-23.30 and then RotK from 0.01 onwards), and although I am far less interested in the Hobbit movies (didn't even see the second one in cinemas), such a marathon is simply a nice special experience - which does include a sort of jetlag for the first few days afterwards, granted.

Same here, just need to get around to booking the tickets haha