All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:03 am

Post subject: combat hex tradeable minature game question
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

so whats up with that game anyways and why did it never catch on? i've been trying to google about but my browser has been getting a lot of virus's so its kinda hard to,lol. ik though that the fine folks of "lotrscenerybuilder" use them but why not the rest of the us? it seems pretty cheep to get into (like 3 dollars,buy now,free shipping for a starter set on ebay).since i'm still a beginner at lotr gaming i thought this was the best forum to post this

Click my link,you know you wanna: http://blackreaper93.blogspot.com/
 Post subject: Re: combat hex tradeable minature game question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:45 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I discovered it recently. Still haven't played yet, as I've been waiting for a figure lot I bought on eBay. Just received it - 34 figure assortment.
So, now with those, a basic set, and a few more I've bought, we're ready to play. I plan to use Heroscsape tiles, castles, and bridge. Should make for some good battles.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The fine folks of “lotrscenerybuilder”... That must be me :D

As far as I know the Combat Hex LOTR miniatures were produced between 2003 and 2007. My son & I kind of fell in love with these figures at the end of 2006. I was building my first scenery pieces at the time and we used our small lot of miniatures for our Moria battles. We never played a lot, however, as building took more and more time.

Apart from a “Premium Line” with real bigatures like the Balrog, Trolls and some Fell Beasts, five series of LOTR-miniatures were produced by Sabertooth Games: in total some few hundreds of miniatures, including an Army of the Death. Miniatures from the last of these series, the ROTK one, have become real collectors items - with matching prices. After almost four years since the end of production there’s still a lively market going on on eBay.

You can say that the Combat Hex miniatures have been for us what the GW mini’s are for most – if not all - of the guys on this site (but I still regard myself as a member of the family! :oops: )

Redstone, you might want to take a look at my ‘Durin’s Causeway’ (Combat hex Version): it’s a relatively easy model to build and it will give you a lot of gaming fun (but please, no Easterlings or Rohan bowmen on these stairs! :no: )

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:48 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Very nice work, lotrscenerybuilder! I may have to try my hand at that. Hirstarts.com has a wall mold that might work.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ok,thanks for the info so far Lotrscenerybuilder,another question though: When it comes to game play do you find that its a balanced system and just as fun an alternative to the SBG system? i'm mildly curious about this on account that the people I play with prefer hex/square based games where as I prefer the open battle field kind of miniature games,only thing is that GW minis are costly where as a handful of sabertooth minis are generally cheap on ebay. --Nate--

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello Nate,

From what I have learned about my collection of WD’s, sourcebooks and both LOTR tomes you may safely assume that playing GW’s SBG is gaming on a much ‘higher’ – and therefore much more interesting - level than playing Combat Hex. For us, however, the charm of playing the TMG was a) we found the sculpts of the Sabertooth minis to be superior to the GW minis (especially their Cave troll and Balrog – and the painting isn’t too bad either) and b) the limited playground of our 3D battlefields added a lot to the thrill of each game. If you’re planning to play your games on one of these paper maps however, you might soon get bored about the lack of real scenery.

My advice therefore: buy a score of Moria goblins :orc: and the complete Fellowship :gandalf: – and, if you have the opportunity, a cave-troll and a Balrog – and make your own Moria environment: Balin’s Tomb, Durin’s Stairs and the Khazad-dûm Bridge. That will keep you busy for a while but it will also provide you with a nice collection of miniatures and scenery.

You will see that this chain of battle grounds will give you many hours of gaming pleasure.

You can fully trust two sellers of Combat Hex figures on eBay: Big Coin (US) and Cardvilla (UK).

Please keep me informed about your Sabertooth adventures!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oh,I like the idea of Moria but i'm wondering if buying the starter pack would be worth it? At the very least i'd get some dice,a goblin,and part of the fellowship for what you recommended.Once again I really appreciate the info and advice

edit:Oh yeah,one more thing,with buying figures would you recommend me to get like all purples(or anything like that),or just whatever?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If you ask me: just whatever.

As long as you have the complete Fellowship and a worthy Moria Army (15 to 20 mini’s including a Leader or two) it doesn’t matter. If you can lay your hands upon a copy of the playing rules there’s not even need to buy a Starter Set.

My favourites are: Gandalf BS 109; Boromir BS 102; Sam BS 119 and Frodo BS 108.

If you buy the Cave Troll box it will provide you with some nice looking mini’s of Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli.

Merry and Pippin come with the Treebeard box.

Moria Goblins can be found in both the BS and FE series (there’s an article about the Combat Hex game on Wikipedia somewhere that can give you a full review of the game, including a complete list of all BS, FE, TT, PD, PL and RK minis).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex_Combat

As for the Balrog, you will not believe your eyes when the package arrives!

Ordinary dice will do but there’s still a special Sabertooth Dice Set for sale on eBay.

Ad last but not least: you’re free to invent your own playing rules when that stupid Troll crashes into your Chamber of Mazarbul!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well I just bought the starter set on ebay for less than $10(barely) and a few days a go I joined the "snaggletoothgames.com" forums and have been learning more about this game.I just have one last question,just how tall did you make your "Durin's causeway" like in the picture above (when I get my figures i'd be able to figure it out but until then)? Or is it the same scale as the sbg one thats in your download section?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

This is really, really random, but does anyone find it curious that Sabertooth Games, the makers of the Lord of the Rings Tradeable Miniatures Game, were a subsidary of Games Workshop (obviously the makers of LotR SBG)?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:38 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Very nice work, lotrscenerybuilder! I may have to try my hand at that. Hirstarts.com has a wall mold that might work.

I followed the excellent plain some time ago. I am currently considering a Hirst block rebuild. I have been adding some detail to the original build while I plain out the casting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:34 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Very Nice Oldman Willow! 8) Ok,for LotrSceneryBuilder heres an update of my happenings(THANK YOU so much for giving me the info I wanted which got me into this): http://blackreaper93.blogspot.com/2011/ ... te_07.html
Oh,and I bought a starter set and downloaded the uptodate rules from "snaggletoothgames.com",you should become a member of the forums.here it is: http://snaggletoothgames.com/forum/index.php