All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 44  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:56 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

New topic for the week is Ringwraiths With only one wound and one attack, these servants of Sauron need quite specific tactics to succeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:08 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ringwraiths suck, the witchking not.
For 20 points more you can have 6 more will, 1 more might, 1 more fate.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:13 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

for the second time in history i will have to disagree with you urft.

ringwraiths on horse are my bestest best friend when it comes down to having a spellcaster thats relatively cheap and knows some good spells.
nobody seems to hate gandalf or saruman and they arent much better.

just avoid cc and cast away. its easy to do.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:14 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ringwraiths have value beyond mere points and mobility. They are intimidating, eyecatching and your opponent almost always feels obligated to go after them or pays an inordinate amounts of attention to them, leaving more scope for the less glamourous units to march up and bash his forces properly. Saw one battle where about 50% of the 'Good' side concentrated on a couple of mounted wraiths only to lose all of the other 50% to your bog-standard orcs and march the rest into what amounted to 'Now we've got you where you want us...err, we're all dead!'

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:20 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Another tuppence worth for the metaphorical hat:
You take your average battle; how many points? 500 per side? 1000? It's not that much really. So you get some captains, some standards, maybe a few cavalry and some heroes/heavy hitters and bang goes maybe half or more of the points leaving the troop numbers looking a bit thin. Ringwraiths on foot cost what would get you a lot of orcs. Mounted wraiths are even more pricey and on a fellbeast... there are two questions: will you get the same or better performance from one Ringwraith (in whatever variant foot/horsed/fellbeasted/Mr Angmar etc) or by spending the points on lots of troops?
In both the films and the books the wraiths were a tiny fraction of Sauron's force (kind of important but still, just 9 spooky guys). If our battles involved 2000, 3000 or even more points, the influence of an individual wraith would be diminished. Of course, now you would have enough points for all 9 so maybe a 10000 point per side battle would put them back in their place again.
Alright, I am mad. But I must give this a go, over a (very) long weekend. When I have troops painted...

More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:33 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

It doesn,t matter what battle and how many points, The witch king is better than normal ringwraiths. Only 20 points more for 6 will, 1 might, 1 fate.
The extra fate point is important because they have only 1 wound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:35 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Witchking = wraith because he took one of the 9 rings. he just happens to be the most powerful (and expensive) of the Nine.

More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:45 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

No he is not, he is the witch KING.
He is better than the rest, both in stats and in point cost.
The witch king on fell beast is the best evil hero that you can field. (except sauron and the great hero balrog)
He is the only one that can kill heroes, can hunt down troops ( not himself but his fellbeast with strenght 6 :P )
He can take courage tests, he keeps the orcs together.
In a 500 point battle take him + a troll and spend 210 points on orcs.
You won,t be outnumbered.
A shaman for killing heroes sucks. ( ik mag het eigenlijk niet zeggen maar doe het toch, ) als je dit hebt vertaald heb je zo juist een paar minuten van je leven verspild :)
But i don,t use the witch king because he is not worth the money and I prefer isengard, lurtz and uruks above trolls and orcs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:00 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

At this point captain Edmund Blackadder would have the underpants on his head, the pencils up his nose, and woud utter only one response to all communications:

WIBBLE!

More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:35 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

A bit dead over the last while :wink: mostly my fault. New topic is Warriors of Minas Tirith. These warriors are the most collected of all armies :?, but with a fairly low fight value, against Uruk-hai etc. they are in trouble. What tactics do you use with your WoMT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:31 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

WIBBLE :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:54 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Mr URFT has been adopting the Blackadder lexicon. Progress...

More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

*bumpety-bump* Don't want people forgetting about us, do we precious? No, precious, no... New topic is Riders of Rohan URFT, try to be sensible, and when you do contribute make sure you explain what you say. No more of "puppy dogs suck end of story" which is mainly what you've been doing since the thread started.

Ok, get discussing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:19 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Don't worry URFT will not be contributing anything to these discussions any more.

Riders of Rohan eh?

Cavalry charges - the standard tactic is to charge a group of riders and a hero into combat on the turn where the riders don't have priority. They use their charge bonuses to aid their combat and (hopefully) out roll their enemy's dice. They then retreat on the next turn - with priority, or by using a Heroic Move if they lose priority.

Anyone use different tactics (or variations to this one)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:06 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Alternativly used as fast moving archers, All RoR carry bows and can almost keep pace with warriors moving at full speed.

Gallop up to the enemy pepper them with arrows for a few turns as they can reteat 1/2 move(5inches) and still fire, keeping out of range of the enemy and antagonising them. Make sure that you turn your archers away from your main body of troops as your enemy then has a choice, keep after the riders or go for the foot (other riders, whatever your second group is). If he splits, your riders can out pace this group and help the outnumber the first force, if he does not you can attack on two fronts and hopefully negate his Pike/spear bonus'.

One thing you must NOT do is get into a protracted fight you will lose. Riders strengths are in hit and run tactics. This is where Gamling or Aragorn are invaluable with their renewable store of Might. Use this to get out of fights quickly. Line up and charge again :D.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Remember Theoden's Charge (protrayed very well in the film)? I think cavalry, Rohirrim especially since they'r the Horse People, should be allowed the Trample rule if they restrict themselves to moving in a straight line.
But enough of my proselitising. The Rohirrim are a powerful force for lighning attacks. As long as someone doesn't try to turn them into a brick wall to hold the enemy back they're a tough force to beat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:31 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Probably somewhere in the Northern wilds of Middle-Earth. Or sitting on a throne in Minas Tirith.
True... True... :shock: Ahem. Sorry.

Riders of Rohan are an excellent force and will cause more than their fair share of pain on the battlefield. However, the one army they really fall down against (don't we all hate that phrase) is Uruk-Hai. This is rather unfortunate, because almost any scenario that involves Riders of Rohan has the Uruk-Hai as the Evil side. The Uruk-Hai pikes account for the Rider's charge bonuses very easily, and their superior strength, fight value, and defence will absolutely destroy the Riders of Rohan. Admittedly, they are going to take down many Uruk-Hai with them, but the Uruks high defence will make sure that even when knocked down, they will still come out of the affair looking pretty healthy. Also, the pikes give enough bonus attacks that the Uruk-Hai superior fight value will win out. In short, if you field Riders of Rohan, hope and pray that there are lots of nice Orcses for them to cut down.

Oh, and if anyone remembers my random article, please forgive me. I didn't notice the multiple pages... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:42 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well they're my favourite as you can see on your left,but the only problem with then imo is their shoot value. They're great otherwise. Properly equipped and cavalry make them the best imo 8)

Why not click me?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:32 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Speed, ability to disperse or concentrate forces very quickly against locally inferior numbers of opponents, that's what cavalry is about. A thundering great charge at the right moment is a very satisfying way of demoralising the enemy.
Does anyone make much use of banners other than Gamling with the royal standard?

More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:39 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I only use TTT rules and there's no details about banners in there. I suppose I should get the new rulebook....

Why not click me?
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 44  Next