All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Forgeworld Hobbit Releases
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:16 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm tempted to get them for use as Black Numenorean captains

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Any news as to when the third set will be released?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
Haven't the Ringwraiths always been fairly big, imposing models? They should certainly be on the usual 25mm.

I think the old Ringwraiths used to be human sized. 25 mm tall, give or take. These look like they are at least 35 mm. I was tempted to use them as evil human captains, but if they are like ogre size that kind of does not work.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:54 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Alhvar wrote:
Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
Haven't the Ringwraiths always been fairly big, imposing models? They should certainly be on the usual 25mm.

I think the old Ringwraiths used to be human sized. 25 mm tall, give or take. These look like they are at least 35 mm. I was tempted to use them as evil human captains, but if they are like ogre size that kind of does not work.

This was the only picture I could find, but illustrates my point well enough, Khamul is certainly a bit taller than the plastic Minas Tirith bloke, although part of that may be the common metal vs plastic discrepancy. Mouth of Sauron is quite large too I think, so I'm still tempted to have one of these as a Black Numenorean. Having now seen a few more pictures of the new Dol Guldur wraiths however, those certainly are substantially bigger, towering over normal infantry. Can't remember if that was the case in the films too...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:11 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
Alhvar wrote:
Coenus Scaldingus wrote:

This was the only picture I could find, but illustrates my point well enough, Khamul is certainly a bit taller than the plastic Minas Tirith bloke, although part of that may be the common metal vs plastic discrepancy. Mouth of Sauron is quite large too I think, so I'm still tempted to have one of these as a Black Numenorean. Having now seen a few more pictures of the new Dol Guldur wraiths however, those certainly are substantially bigger, towering over normal infantry. Can't remember if that was the case in the films too...

Ah, yes. I think we see each others points now. Have you found any pictures of the new nazguls next to normal humans? I am really curious what that would look like.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yes, somebody on the GBHL Facebook group had pictures of them next to Eomer on foot (maybe more with others). Will see if I can find them later today. :)

EDIT: Found 'em. They're on exceptionally tall bases, so not great as scale comparisons go, but they certaintly aren't small...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for an illuminating picture! If you disregard the base, it looks like they are only about 7 feet tall. That is an unusual height for a human, but it is no way an impossibility. I think they could work as humans. I myself am considering using new Khamul as the Easterling emperor.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If only they were available in a local shop to just have a look at them in person! I'm very much on the fence after seeing these pictures. Could just about work, or not quite.
Come to think of it, if using one as a Black Numenorean Marshall as I was thinking of, a tall figure is perfect...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

maybe they were designed to be comparatively taller on purpose, to either make them stand out more or convey the 'character' of how evil they are? The FW character series models all have these optional scenic bases which will make them seem larger & i'd be tempted not to use these particular ones as it distracts from the models themselves.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I believe I read in a piece by Tolkien that the ringwraiths were taller than mortals, and that some of the mortal races, especially in the early ages, were quite tall as well. At any rate, they're spirits.. There has been scale creep within the LoTR range pretty much since its inception. I'm looking at my elves, whose captains are a head larger and more robust than their plastic counterparts. Fat elves? No, I dare say, it's scale creep.

Nevertheless, I do enjoy painting in heroic scale. It's nice to paint a Reaper mini in among all the LoTR armies once in a while.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Got somebody to make some extra scale shots for me (more horizontal and on normal bases):

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:34 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank you for the pictures. The nazgul does not look that much taller than the ranger. The difference looks about the same as the difference between Elendil and Men of Gondor.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

There's a new post at Warhammer Community, showing pictures of the final Dol Guldur Ringwraiths set, Hilda Bianca & Percy, and the Goblin Mercenaries + Captain:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-3/

Also an update kit for the Mumak. I've heard Hobbit Shirrifs and Farmer Maggot will be made available again soon as well, though I did not find this in the above post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looking forward to my wallet getting lighter. Been waiting for Hilda and Percy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:19 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Me too.

Those goblins blew me away, though. I'm not a Gundabad player, but they look like a perfect mix of Moria and Goblin town goblins. Might just have to get those.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:46 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Great news. I do hope for more reissues of things I missed, not just new FW. I’ve been after Maggot and Shiriffs for a while, but the new goblins appeal too.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Foot Knights of Dol Amroth?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:51 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Great new! I like the Goblins Mercenaries in partiular. I hope this is just the beginning, and that other older miniatures will be re-released.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:11 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm glad that Games Workshop are providing for better variety in poses with these upgrade kits. Makes amends for the disappointing proliferation of three warrior blister packs for The Hobbit lines.

Really like the idea of a War Mumak upgrade pack, will definitely get a few. Goblin Mercenaries look great too. Big Forge World orders coming up!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'm looking at picking up a few used, battered mumakil of ebay. What is different about the upgrade kit other than the mahud?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next