All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 pm

Post subject: Eggman's wip: Rohan display board and royal guard
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:54 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi all, I've been a member of this forum for a while, but have yet to share a WIP thread - so why not start now? Here are a few figures I've been finished up in the past few months. Any constructive criticism or feedback is welcome - I've enjoyed viewing many individuals' work on this forum, and am certain I've a lot to learn.

Apologies for the pictures quality, of course

Galadriel

Aragorn, Boromir and Pippin

Gandalf mounted - pesky mould line!

Bombadil

Rohan and Grima

Swan Knights

Haradrim - really like these models too

Present works in progress: Boromir and Haldir. Haldir especially is one of the best sculpted and moulded GW figures in the range - a real challenge to do justice to.

Thanks for looking/commenting! :gandalf:

Last edited by TheEggman on Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:30 am, edited 9 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: The Eggman's WIPs
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:12 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Great painting and nice set of pics. Keep them coming !!

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:37 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Really nice painting. 8) you should show some pictures of that terrain too. :pray: looks really neat.

Also, is that a tank in the background? What game is it for?

Current Project: Ringwraiths - Haradrim - Mumakil
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:14 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Glad that you decided to start a wip thread. Great work on the basing and I'm very impressed with the rohan royal guard too, great minis and you've done them justice.

Bombadils hat and boots are top notch but one thing I noticed with his brown and blue tops is to perhaps add another highlight to really make them pop. Just an idea but really amazing work so far. Good luck with the Boromir that's a great mini :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Skillfully painted. Nice detail work, and nice execution on your shading / highlighting.

It's a personal preference thing, but for me, those models are screaming out for some matte varnish, to take the sheen off a bit. Testors Dullcote spray used to be the best, but isn't very flat any more. I've been using Golden Varnish brushed on.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks all for the feedback. Will keep posting updates as I progress.

Men are weak - yup, I have been trying to find an actual matt varnish for some time. Thanks for the recommendation on the Golden brand - will look into that.

Green Dragon - it looks better in person, but I do think it could use some extra - will have to go back with some oil paints for a final highlight.

Wah Wing - the tank is actually a 1/35 scale static model - it's an Academy kit of an M36 tank destroyer, so it's not for wargaming but just for fun.

Post subject: Re: The Eggman's WIPs - Sons of Eorl and Aragorn
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi all, managed to do some painting recently and took a few pictures to share. I finished an Elrond which I am quite happy with. He came with a broken sword, so I scratchbuilt an OK looking replacement and painted him up.

May need to do a few more highlights on his hair. Any constructive criticism is welcome, of course.

I also managed to get some pictures of the terrain some of you had asked about. A while back I made Helm's Deep (see this thread http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=24679), and so to fit with the book's descriptions, I also made up a trench section to represent 'Helm's Dyke', the outlying fortifications.

And finally, I'll also share a few works in progress at the moment.

Having a spare Gandalf with a broken staff, I decided to convert him into a makeshift Radagast the Brown. I sculpted a new staff for him, a hood, and an extended beard. This, combined with a suitable paintjob, should make him different enough to use as an alternate Radagast. Unfortunately the shot turned out a little blurry on him, but you get the idea and can also see the progress I made on Haldir's armour.

Finally, I've assembled and primed a Warlord Games Earl of Essex figure from their English Civil War range. Excited to paint this guy - he's full of character and should be a welcome change from the LotR range.

That's all for now - happy hobbying, and thanks for taking a look!

Last edited by TheEggman on Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: The Eggman's WIPs - Rohan house
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've been working recently on a great hall in a Rohan architectural style. It measures about 6" by 9", and is kind of loosely inspired by Meduseld. The roof is removable and the interior playable. Still need to paint it, thatch the roof, and finish the interior - anyways, here are some photos.

All feedback is welcome!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:31 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nice work on the house, if you can put some horse motifs in there it will fit right in.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:32 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Great great work with the house!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:00 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yup, I have to agree, I like the terrain best of all. The hall/barn/whatever it will end up being is really well done. The conversions are cool too. The wizard would also make a great blue wizard.

Post subject: Re: The Eggman's WIPs - Haldir and Boromir
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks all for the feedback - I'll keep you posted as I keep working on more terrain. I've finished some figures lately too. First, the old Haldir model from the Helm's Deep boxed set - which has to be among the best sculpted and best cast figures GW ever put out in the LotR range. Let me know what you think!

I also finished this mounted Boromir figure just yesterday - another pleasure to paint.

And finally, here's the horse for Warlord's Earl of Essex (as pictured earlier). I usually kind of hate doing horses, but this one has so much character it was actually fun to do, not to mention that Warlord's prices are a steal compared with GW's. I still need to put some flat coat on this one.

Thanks for looking! All comments welcome :gandalf:

Post subject: Re: The Eggman's WIP - Haldir, Boromir mtd, horse
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:41 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I like the house! Cool horse too, what will you be using it for?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi all, it's been a while since I've done an update here but finally some progress! First I'll show the Rohan hall finished (save for some interior detailing). I'm quite happy with it but any suggestions would be helpful! I'm considering doing some detailing on the beams along the roofline for a bit more visual interest.

The roof is thatched with teddy bear fur. The detailing on the door may be more lake-town than Rohan, but oh well.

Interior:

And now a Saruman I just finished - great sculpt and a pleasure to paint.

Bob Dylan (not GW)

and the finished Earl of Essex (please ignore my thumb!)

Thanks for looking! Any feedback is most welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nice work on the great hall! Could you do a shot with some figures inside and next to it?

If you wanted to add some color to the inside, just print out some Rohan banners and stick them on the walls. Stick part of a toothpick to hang the banner on, stiffen and curl the printed banner with white glue and it will add to what you have done. If you have any extra Rohan shields (or make press mold of them), those would add color and detail as well.

Your great hall has reminded me that a similar project is awaiting me as well - it will have to wait for a long while though.

Again, nice job!

Post subject: Re: The Eggman's WIP - rohan hall
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the comments Mapper - I was planning on adding some banners, but it is just that completing the interiors always seems to take much longer than the exteriors for me - much lower priority levels!

Here are some shots with more population going on. It measures about 6 by 9", I think.

Post subject: Re: The Eggman's WIP - rohan hall
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Your painting is certainly improving, I think you did Haldir justice. ;-) The Thing hall is pretty cool too.

I just bought a slew of Warlord Pike and Shotte horses for my KoMT to charge into battle on (nice sculpts, tonnes of variations and good price, not to mention LoTR horses are difficult to find anymore), so I appreciate the pictures of their model. It seems the horses are similar in size, but the P&S men are bigger. Odd, since the Hail Caesar guys seem truer to 28mm, and therefore smaller than our GW LoTR models.

If you want to put a fire in your firepit, you can easily model it with squeezable resin water effects, or even use a hot glue gun on cool setting.

Post subject: The Eggman - big update: Rohan, Elves, and more old metals
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey all, it's been a while since I updated this blog but I have been busy painting! Lately I've been enjoying some of the old metal sculpts I've picked up from ebay, old collections, or from stripping some poorly painted minis of my own. It's too bad there aren't more of the Perry sculpts out there! The heroes can take as much detail as you want to put into them.

You'll have to forgive my photos - I'm using an old iPhone camera and I'm afraid that my lighting has skewed the colour palette towards blue.

Eowyn

Theoden

Haldir's Elves - tough to photograph these guys in particular.

Wood Elf Banner - tricky freehand here. I also painted a Boromir Capt. of the White Tower, but I'm not quite happy enough with the banner to post it here!

Some quickly refurbished Berserkers

A Warg Rider - these guys are by far the most punk rock miniatures in the range. Love the aesthetic!

Some better pics of the Saruman I posted earlier - really happy with this little fellow.

Never liked the sculpt on the Aragorn Elessar model, but I did my best with it. Probably needs another coat of matte.

And finally, some Wizards of the Coast D & D spiders I did up for use in SBG. With 3 for $7 CAD, I couldn't really turn them down. The rocks are done with bark chips from the forest near my apartment.

That's about it for now! I've done some plastic Elves and Riders of Rohan recently as well, but I haven't photographed them yet. I am also working on a small fort as well and will post an update when I make some more progress on it. Looking forward to hearing any feedback!

Post subject: Re: Eggman's WIP: Rohan, Elves, spiders & a much delayed upd
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:24 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Really like how you do your bases, especially with the spiders! Having them crawling over the ground with their legs at different levels really adds to their menacing look.

Post subject: Re: Eggman's WIP: Rohan, Elves, spiders & a much delayed upd
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the feedback, Mapper! I've been using a homemade mixture of static grasses, green, yellow, and brown flocks, tea leaves, and spices for the bases, along with the odd grass tuft. The rocks were bark chips.

Another update - this time my photos are lacking, but I'm super happy with the Legolas I've painted. This is the third time I've done a Leggy, and my previous attempts with the Amon Hen and then Helm's Deep sculpts left much to be desired. Much more satisfactory this time, and again the Helm's Deep sculpts must be among the best in the range.

Did a Berserker too, who, apart from the mould line, turned out well.

And two WIPs: Aragorn and Gil Galad

I've done some warriors recently too who I will post if there is interest - I've recently finished some WoMT, High Elves, rangers, and Riders of Rohan. Additionally, I have been working on a few minor conversions which I'll post up when they are finished. Thanks for looking and any feedback is welcome!