All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 pm

Post subject: Rulebook "editions"?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:29 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey guys -

Would you be put off by someone trying to play a game with an old rulebook? I'm diving back into the game after a long absence (only ever played the Return of the King rulebook, but have a copy of the pocket version One Rule Book), and I'm hesitant to buy the There and Back Again rulebook with the rumors of an overhaul "Middle-earth SBG" rulebook coming out "soon".

I've called around the area and haven't discovered any local groups/players, so I might try to do a little recruiting at some local stores - do you think I'd be doing a big disservice by playing games out of these old books?
 Post subject: Re: Rulebook "editions"?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

not really mate ; besides a few little 'tweaks' the hobbit version is largely unchanged - the main exception is brutal power attacks (but this only applies to monsters) & if there are plans to release a new version then i'd hold fore for now ;)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:21 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for your input. It's good to learn that most of the core mechanics remain the same. I always enjoyed the game's comparative simplicity.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

you & me both ; i can play it with my brother, my friends of my nieces & nephews (who are between 7&9 yrs old) and it picks up so easily - much more straightforward than warhammer / 40k etc. :)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The core mechanics are the same. I recommend buying a pocket rule book from the escape from goblin town starter set. I picked one up for $20 online. It won't give you any new profiles, but it will provide you with updated rules if you want them. There are some changes worth reading about. IE spear models can support anyone regardless of weapons in use, elven blades got a sweet little perk, archery was nerfed a little bit, monsters got a power boost, and GW moved away from their "a hand weapon is a hand weapon" mantra. The game plays the same but there are a few new items worth knowing.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:29 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

You should do as Jdizzy says, I got mine for £8! There have been changes to the rules, and most people would prefer you to use the current ones. But I think you're wise in holding off buying a hardback until the new Middle-Earth SBG rulebook comes out. Just so you know, 'There and Back again' isn't a rulebook, it's​ like a big sourcebook full of profiles and scenarios, so it will not be outdated by the new core rules.(feel free to buy it without fear!)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:10 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Cheers all, thanks a bunch for the advice!