All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am

Post subject: New player rule clarification - wounds and resilience
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:27 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi all,

I bought a bunch of war of the ring figures back in 2012 and am only just getting back into painting and playing (very late to the party I realise!) I was hoping someone could clarify whether wounds and resiliance mean the same thing? For example on the hard to kill table if I roll a score of two wounds on a cave troll with resilience 2, is it slain? There doesn't seem to be a section in the book that fully explains this and I'm not sure if we are playing correctly.. (playing this way it seems pretty easy to kill them?!)

Also do any of you have or know of some good fleshed out battle reports that would make good reading to better learn the rules and mechanics of the game? My and my friend are hoping to record and post our own at some point too so I look forward to sharing that with you all!

Thanks very much for reading
Bruncase
 Post subject: Re: New player rule clarification - wounds and resilience
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:24 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

No, the wounds refers to "wound counters", if a Cave Troll has 2 wound counters on it, then the next time 2 hits are scored against the troll and they roll on the Hard to Kill! Table, they add +2 to their roll, so they would only need a 4+ to kill the Troll, or a 2-3 to score 2 further wounds. Does that clarify it for you?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:26 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi Gothmog,

Ah that makes much more sense, thanks for the clarification!

I'll be playing my first game this weekend with a small 500 point easterling army consisting of 10 companies of infantry and khamul the easterling as their leader.. my friend is bringing a host of spiders from the misty mountains faction!

When I finish painting my haradrim and mumakil we plan to have a 1000 point match and record it as a battle report! Does anyone have or know of any war of the ring bat reps? I had a scan in the bat rep forum but they seem to be strategy game reports..

Thanks again and will keep you updated on how it goes this weekend!

Bruncase
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:24 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi Gothmog,

Thanks for your reply that makes much more sense!

I have tried to reply to you a couple of times over the last few days but my posts don't seem to be getting approved.. fingers crossed this one will. I'm hoping to play our first game tomorrow so will let you know how it goes

thanks,
Bruncase
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:11 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Hi, good luck with the game. Khamul can be incredibly powerful if used correctly.

As for BatReps, I know Xelee has done quite a few, I can have a look for you, he does use house rules but I think he has a guide as to what most of them are. WotR isn't as popular anymore, so not too many BatReps.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:27 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Our first game went well, Khamul was definitely a force to be reckoned with!

I've put some pictures up on image shack hopefully you can see them ok. One of my 500 point army, one formation of my friends spiders. One where my formation of pikes set up between a tree line and another where a formation of spiders came crashing into them, only to be completely annihilated the very same turn! https://imageshack.com/user/lewesjamiey

My friend came in with 6 companies of giant spiders and a spider queen, along with 2 companies of spider broodings and Druzhag the Beastcaller as the leader - who summoned an additional 6 companies of spiders over the first 3 turns!

However his army was defeated on turn five due mainly to my pike formation stopping his spiders dead in their tracks, and his spider queen dying to a single volley of my archers (so much for the hard to kill rule?!)

We hope to play again soon once the remainder of our armies are painted. I plan to add 6 companies of haradrim, my mumakil and a formation of morgul knights to give me some cavalry, while my friend is painting up hordes of moria goblins as well as the 400 points dragon of ancient times! Hopefully after a few more skirmishes we will have the rules learned and can record the big game as a full battle report..

Thanks again for your help with the hard to kill rule,
Bruncase
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:59 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I saw the pictures, your army look very nice, I'm glad your game went well 8)

I'm not sure you want me to give your opponent a tip about using smaller monsters, but I think it's helpful for all who wish to use smaller monsters. Keep your monsters behind infantry formations as they advance as the archers can't see over them, bring the monsters out next turn for flanking attacks.

Bigger monsters like Dragons and Mumakil will be fine though.

If you want to create a separate thread for batreps and record as many battles as you have in it feel free. I'll happily read and I'm sure others will too. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:05 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yes he realised all too late that if he used his spider swarms in the frontline they have a defence of 10 against arrows! I'm sure he'll utilise that next time.. we also slowly got the hang of movement priority, realising that if you're smart and go second you can often slip round the side of a formation, meaning they won't be able to get a charge off on you and leaving them to get charged in the flank in your charge phase!

I'm sure theres much more to learn in terms of tactics, and next game we'll try and do an objective, where I imagine his faster spiders will have the advantages over my slow block of infantry..

Will let you know how it goes!
Thanks again,
Bruncase
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:53 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi Burncase, in your original post you asked about batreps.

I did 5 or so a few years back and links are below. I also made a few fun scenarios, a couple of 2-player ones and a few 3-player ones, one of the Bat-reps is about a home made scenario.

batreps:
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=27467
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=27582
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=27777
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=28701
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=28712

Taking the War in Middle earth to a new level!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:40 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I also wrote up some batreps on one ring and my blog. We did a Rohan Campaign a few years back followed up by a Gondor Campaign that wrapped up last June. I never got around to finishing all of the batreps for the Gondor Campaign since I got caught with a move for work, but suffice to say that Frodo never made it to Mount Doom before the fall of man.

http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31605&p=403406&hilit=Gondor+campaign#p403406

Maybe when I am on vacation next month I'll write up the old batreps from the end of the campaign for completeness before I start my next project. When I get back from my overseas assignment, I would like to do a "War in the North" campaign with Lothlorien, Mirkwood, and Erebror/Iron Hills Dwarves fighting Dol Guldor, the Easterlings, and the Misty Mountains.