All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:25 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign-behind the scenes (7/12 Lothlori
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:36 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I always enjoy your post! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nice to read some updates

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The forest as it is looks like a winter scene. You make simple yet beautiful battlefields look so easy to make.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:24 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Your dedication to this campaign is something one should always admire.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:37 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Celevue, looking at your lovely build of Helms Deep it has me convinced to use Depron. I see you only use white Depron but gray is available as well. Is there a reason why you use white over gray Depron? I thought the gray would be better for Helms Deep since that is the primary base color of the model.

Thanks
-Audrey
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

@Audrey, I have only white Depron readily available for me at the moment. The color is not an issue since I will basecoat the surfaces black anyways, either by brushing or by spraying (I'm using Noch's foam-friendly model railway spray cans).
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Alas, it took a while to get everything ready for a next update, but hopefully this is worth the wait. I have, in fact, several posts in pipeline for you with many pictures. In the first two, I will complete the Lothlórien terrain pieces.

In my previous update, we ended up with painted tree armatures and built, but not painted, bases with unstained rock faces and boulders. The following procedure was applied to all the 10+ forest pieces.

Starting with Woodland Scenics slate grey, raw umber, burnt umber and yellow ochre pigments, the cast rocks were first stained, then sealed with scenic cement. This was followed by a wash with black pigment, and another layer of sealant.

The rest of the base then received an earth-colored latex paint coat.

On top of a liberal layer of white glue, the first layer of scatter material was Woodland Scenics yellow fine turf; this was added to the base edges to help blend the forests onto the predominantly yellow grass covered 80x90cm gaming terrain tiles you’ve already seen before.

The rest of the base was covered with WS earth blend fine turf…

…with a little seasoning of earth and burnt grass colored fine turf.

Some dead fall and tree stumps were added, along with coarse yellow and burnt grass turf as the first layer of underbrush.

Next, some light green Woodland Scenics underbrush…

…followed by autumn brown / yellow scatter left over from my Amon Hen trees made a year ago…

…and Heki brown scatter.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Moss-colored fine turf was sprinkled on top…

…along with Antenociti’s Workshop leaf litter…

…and Noch yellow leaves

Some moss fine turf was specifically glued on top of the fallen branches:

The entire ground was soaked with isopropyl alcohol to reduce surface tension.

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/Celev ... ml?filters[user]=134077419&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=6

Then, the terrain was soaked with Woodland Scenics scenic cement to seal things permanently.

Here are all the forest pieces, with all the groundwork done:

The foliage is purely Woodland Scenics autumn yellow foliage, torn into fine pieces and attached to the tree armatures with Hob-e-Tac tacky glue.

In order to break the uniform yellow color, I toned the undersides of the foliage with well-thinned Vallejo golden brown color, sprayed gently with an airbrush using very low air pressure.

The brown-tinted trees are a reasonably good match to my printed Lothlórien background:

For the Siege of Lothlórien scenario, I fear I need still at least ten more forests, but there’s no hurry to build them just yet.

In the next post, I will give you a behind-the-scenes glimpse of how the Bridge of Khazad-dûm scenario battle report photos were done. If you haven’t seen the batrep yet, do hop over the campaigns / scenarios / batreps section of the forum & enjoy!
 Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign-behind the scenes (17/2 Lothlori
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:42 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ah nice, progress 8) . I always look forward to your projects. They are truly inspiring.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This captures the Lothlorien feel perfectly! :D
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:33 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The yellow forest looks really good!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Beautiful. Really inspiring stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

awesome... I will have to increase my foliage and scatter varieties, it looks so good with all the different ones working together to layer a living forest. Well done.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Outstanding work, I'm not sure I've seen a better forest floor :yay:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Now, a behind-the-scenes glimpse of the most recent batrep! It took me two weeks to shoot the photos for the Bridge of Khazad-dûm batrep, and this was, indeed, by far the most complex battle report to photograph, mainly due to the multitude of lighting effects required. I do hope the batrep photos left you wondering, like King Théoden, how is this possible! In this post, all the secrets will be revealed! But outright, I want to emphasize that Photoshopping was only used for minor corrections, like removing a blaring LED still left showing in the image, or removing a support wire, but most of what you see in the batrep photos is what the camera really saw – i.e. a practical effect.

We start with the setup scene – “What is this new devilry”, where the Fellowship sees the orange light of the approaching Balrog through the row of columns, but do not yet see the beast itself.

My nine Moria columns were set in two rows, converging somewhat to give a better illusion of a long corridor between the columns. The 80x90cm gaming terrain tiles (or their grey-painted undersides) were used as the floor and the ceiling. The light of the approaching “new devilry” is shown better in the next image; four yellow LEDs held in a “helping hand”. Balrog eyes his stunt…thing warily.

For the gaming terrain proper, two 300-LED color-changing LED strips were used for overall lighting. One, set to pure red color, snaked through the magma-ridden parts at the bottom of the Durin’s Causeway, and along the bottom of the chasm in the Second Hall. The second was strung over the terrain, similarly as with all the other night light scenarios we’ve done so far.

For a long while, I debated whether the LED strip above the Moria terrain should be set to the familiar blue-green I usually use for night / dark scenes, or orange-red, as was seen in the movie. In the end, the contrast between the red glow of magma and the blue light was more pleasing to my eyes, so I went for the blue light in the final gameplay photos. However, here are three examples shot with orange-red light above, giving the mines an overall amber glow. Compare these to the batrep photos over on the Campaign threat… which lighting scheme do you prefer?

When taking first images of the Fellowship entering the Second Hall, the overall above-head lighting reflected off the smooth floor of the Hall in a very unconvincing way. Hence, I dressed up the Hall with loose talus, but that was somehow weird-looking too. Here’s a shot which left me scratching my head…

I rewatched the scene from the movie, and realized that the floor of the Second Hall is not smooth at all, but has a tile pattern on it. Alas, I could not find good reference pictures of the Second Hall, so I settled for a nice picture of the Dwarrowdelf columned hall floor in the “Lord of the Rings Weapons and Warfare” book, and decided to emboss a similar tile pattern on the Second Hall floor. Based on the movie scene, the Second Hall pattern is (at least near the Bridge), much smaller (and hence, more difficult and time-consuming to emboss). Here’s the starting situation with the tile chosen pattern and a smooth floor.

Embossing was done with a graphite pen and a straight edge, using printed 1:1 patterns as a guide. There are basically only three different 14x14 cm squares, each with a unique pattern. The easiest one is the one which has a column in the center. As you can see, one of the squares is repeated, but rotated 90 degrees.

First, the basic outlines of the 14cm squares:

…and after an enjoyable hour or so, the embossing is ready and the floor looks far more convincing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:39 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Lighting the Balrog was done with two yellow LEDs on either side of the creature, and with two additional white LEDs in front of him. I built a crude cardboard gimbal to hold the LEDs in place underneath the model. In some cases, the LEDs were rather attached to the terrain, as in the scene where the Balrog first enters the Second Hall – there, the LEDs were actually on the opposite side of the chasm wall. The flames in the test shot below are a paper printout, attached also to the side of the chasm, and illuminated by the same yellow LEDs which illuminate the Balrog.

The next image illustrates the use of additional white LEDs to illuminate the figures. The LEDs were oftentimes attached to a helping hand – not unlike a boom on a movie set!

Then it was time for the Balrog to leap over the chasm, with flames and smoke. As in the earlier test shot, the flames are paper printouts attached to the side of the chasm. The smoke above the Balrog is just black poly-fiber placed atop the model. Loose ruined statue heads were positioned to conceal the LEDs so that they don’t show in the final photo.

Here’s a better view of the components used to achieve the shadow and flame:

Here’s a behind-the-scenes shot of the Balrog near the bridge, with spot light for figures on the bridge. An unused Deeping Wall explosion cloud was split and used behind the Balrog as a fiery, billowing cloud. It was not back-lit, however – the only light it gets is the same LEDs that illuminate the Balrog. Slits were cut to the explosion clouds and the Balrog wings were pushed a little way in. Note also the LED spot light used to illuminate the other figures on the Bridge.

Here’s the Balrog on the bridge; note again the spotlight LEDs on top of the eastern section wall, lighting the Fellowship figures – one of the LEDs is now attached to my embossing pencil, doing double duty as a lighting boom! Note also the electric cables running unseen behind the billowing cloud through the Second Hall. The yellow / white LEDs lighting the Balrog are now attached to the bridge, so that they are not directly seen in the gameplay photo taken from top right.

Here’s a close-up on the billowing cloud, as seen from behind – white poly fiber glued to chicken wire, and painted with black, yellow, orange and red spray paints (on the outside). When backlit, this cloud did not look very convincing, so I did not use this for Helm’s Deep. For Balrog, however, it was perfect!

The falling section of the Bridge was attached (in a severe angle) to a piece of Styrofoam below it, concealed underneath a piece of black card, with two steel wires. The Balrog hangs partly by his left wing, whose tip is still on the Second Hall floor, and by a steel wire seen underneath his left arm in the next photo. The wire was pushed to the side of the cliff. Similarly, two steel wires pushed to the cliff on the opposite side held the falling Gandalf figure. LEDs were again attached as appropriate – the other yellow LED pair is actually attached to the underside of the Balrog’s right wing!

Finally, here is the set-up shot of the Lothlórien arrival scene. The batrep image was shot with a DSLR camera equipped with a Cokin warm color filter to give it a dreamier, magical look. In reality, the picture was taken outside in -5C temperature! The hill atop which the Fellowship figures stand is the one I built for Amon Hen (and will also use for the Pelennor Fields far in the future).

For that shot, the heroes needed to shed their Moria-colored slottabases. For some, this meant a repaint & some yellow grass flock (as the model was glued on the base); for others, merely removing the figure from the grey bases and attaching them to dark yellow –themed bases.

All the secrets are now out in the open. We hope you enjoyed this behind the scenes look!
 Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign-behind the scenes (18/2 Bridge)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've seen some really impressive balrogs over the years, but none have ever cracked the look of the film on account of the smoke. Might incorporate some of that as a permanent feature when I re-do mine. Excellent stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

OMG those leds make such a great work!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:36 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks for sharing your really impressive work!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:48 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

*jaw drops to floor*

:yay: :yay: :yay:
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next