All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:49 am

Post subject: Agincourt, LOTR Style, Battle Report
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The title of this post should be "I am the worst general Mordor has ever seen".

Last night 2 friends came over for a game of LOTR. We use the Strategy Battle Game. Not all, but most of my group love the way it plays. I had recently painted up 6 Fell Wargs and The Warg Chieftain so I wanted to give them spin on the table. So we did Orcs vs Elves at 700 points.

The Elves were 24 Galadhrim, 3 captains, a Storm Caller and maybe 12 or so Wood Elves as we ran out of Galadhrim.

The Orcs were 6 Wild Wargs, Warg Chieftain, 4 Warg riding Orc Captains and a Shaman, leading about 40+ Orcs. All spears and swords, no bows.

Establishing shot. Orcs in foreground, tree huggers on the farside of the table. set up 2 feet apart. The Elf General set up the table. Note the lack of cover.......

Closer shot of the Elf battle line. Wood Elves on the far end of the line. Galadhrim Archers Center, Spear and Sword in the ruins on the hill.

Rear of Elf Line.

Orc Left side of line. Front Rank, Shield and Sword, back rank Spears.

Orc right flank. Morannon Orcs in center, then more spear and shield guys. On the far right are my newly painted and untested Wargs.

The terrain was wide open, he had bows, I didn't. My only choice was to go straight at him as quick as I could. I think I spent 3 turns marching under bow fire. Lost 9 or 10 orcs closing the gap.

Getting close now.

Wargs rounding the hill.

And we finally clash.

Missing a lot of orcs from my center.

I cleared the ruins and broke up his center section. On the far side it was back and forth with the wood elves. I did very well in the melee combats but I could not make up the damage done crossing the field. I broke at 29 dead and he was 3 away from breaking. It was a good fight and we had fun.

I'm not sure what I could have done differently. The ground was too open. I suppose I could have gone up the right side in the woods, but then he would have had all the time in the world to wheel his line to compensate.

The wargs were not the killing machines I had envisioned. Either I needed more or they would be better with riders. They were weak. I would have rather had a troll or something. They did help out flank the Elves in the ruins, but one on one, Elves were much better.

The one thing I think I did right was put all my Captains on Wargs. That made them very useful for smashing into the battle at critical moments. It might have helped if I rememberd the extra attack for charging cav.

Anyway, good fight, lessons learned and fun was had. I also got to put out my Scenic backdrops on the side of the battle table.

Post subject: Re: Agincourt, LOTR Style, Battle Report
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:22 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Love the report : )
but is there a place to find close up pics, the elf conversions and paint schemes sparked my interest..
as you can see, I am al for green clothed galadhrim, and it looks like yours share those colours..

prov. 27:17
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:01 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Great battle report. Love the terrain and all the painted miniatures, and the backdrop is a nice touch. I think I need to get one for my board!

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:59 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

J.R. - if you click on the photo and ask view image (explorer or open image in chrome) it opens a higher res image from his blog http://xinslair.blogspot.com/

Enjoyed the battle report, always nice to see orcs vs elves.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:21 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Mapper wrote:
J.R. - if you click on the photo and ask view image (explorer or open image in chrome) it opens a higher res image from his blog http://xinslair.blogspot.com/

Enjoyed the battle report, always nice to see orcs vs elves.

Thank you !

the scenic backround adds a lot of atmosphere to such a classical collision of good and evil.

prov. 27:17
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:15 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Looks like a really fun game. I love the background image and the forest terrain in front of it.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:47 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Cool battle, and as mentioned some very nice scenery (are they woodland scenics trees or something else?).

Also, how exactly did you do that scenic background?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:28 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Necromancer7 wrote:
Cool battle, and as mentioned some very nice scenery (are they woodland scenics trees or something else?).

Also, how exactly did you do that scenic background?

The trees are mostly Woodland Scenics. I say mostly because we have been collecting them for 20+ years.

The background is from this site:
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Scenic-Backgrounds-s/1346.htm

2 posters, an A and B meant to go together. Glued to Pink board. There are 2 sections to the background, each 2.5 feet long. I have a 5'x8' table, so we use the boards to close off half the table and play in a 4'x5' section when doing SBG. Hope that helps.