All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

Post subject: Re: Who will be attending GBHL tournaments in the UK next ye
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Leo you need not worry, I text you when there's a tournament anyway :P you're the one who is always busy :lol:

The tournaments are almost always posted on here. When there is a list of tournaments for the upcoming year, I'll make sure it is posted everywhere :twisted:

Cheers dude :-)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

i am definitely intending or going to a few tournaments next year, although cant help but feel being a student in Bristol without a car getting there may take a while.

currently looking at the practicalities of going to malice in wonderland event :D
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:26 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'd love to come along to one or two, but being far down south in Surrey makes it a bit tricky. I'll do my best to make some happen. As a bit of a side question; how newbie friendly are these events? I've got a fairly good understanding of the rules and such, but haven't ever played outside of my friendship group or fun lists.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hey buddy :)

Despite what the channel might infer, I am also a relative newbie and I have to say my first tournament in Preston a couple of months back was great fun and not as intimidating as I thought it might be.

Definitely book out 12th/13th April next year for the GBHL channel tournament, make a weekend of it in Manchester with us and film some bat reps the day before!

I'm sure there are some players not too far from you who wouldn't mind lift sharing, check the OR population thread and see what you can find.

GBHL James :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:51 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the info James, i'll look into it! You can definitely count me in for the April event. Great way to meet the channel community members. Looking forward to it for sure!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

*Writes down Oddeh's name for the definites list….*

Look forward to seeing you there buddy!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:27 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Oddeh wrote:
I'd love to come along to one or two, but being far down south in Surrey makes it a bit tricky. I'll do my best to make some happen. As a bit of a side question; how newbie friendly are these events? I've got a fairly good understanding of the rules and such, but haven't ever played outside of my friendship group or fun lists.

Our club is based in East Grinstead - which is on the Sussex/Surrey boarder, if it's too far for regular club nights it would be ideal for a tourney, we are holding another event this year (this time I will attend).

So if you fancy coming along for a battle just let us know :-)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:14 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Leonardis wrote:
Our club is based in East Grinstead - which is on the Sussex/Surrey boarder, if it's too far for regular club nights it would be ideal for a tourney, we are holding another event this year (this time I will attend).

So if you fancy coming along for a battle just let us know :-)

That sounds great. I'll shoot you a PM!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

DMS invited me to the event next April in Manchester. Not yet sure if I'll attend, I havn't played LOTR in years so I lack the new rules and my armies need updating.

If I'm to go, I'll need a few questions answered so I can plan out my force and spend the next 4 months preparing - I'll have a lot of painting and modelling to do.

1. How many armies are required? One army? Two armies, for both Good and Evil?

2. What would the point size be?

3. Are proxies using appropriately themed, modelled and painted non-GW miniatures allowed?

I've got a WIP Anglo Saxon force that I'll also use one day as Rohirrim infantry (or that I could if I choose, convert and paint into an actual, dedicated Rohirrim force). They would conform to WYSIWYG as much as possible, and all miniatures would be appropriately themed (e.g. heavily armed warriors equipped with chainmail = Rohan Royal Guard; unarmoured/lightly armoured dark age warriors = Rohan Warriors).

If the answer is No, and all miniatures must be 100% official GW miniatures then thats absolutely fine by me, I'll just pick a different force. My Anglo Saxons/Rohirrim were intended for friendly games anyway, not Tournaments.

These are the sorts of models that I would use if given the green light.

Click to: Show
Rohan Warriors.

Rohan Royal Guard.

A Rohan hero (e.g. Theoden, Eomer).

4. Are conversions and 'proxies' using official GW miniatures allowed?

I have a WIP force of Arnor Warriors and Rangers with a strong theme. The army is set in the mid-Third Age, during the fall of Arthedain (the last Arnor Kingdom). Its lead by King Arvedui and Malbeth, and uses a number of other characters. This was thousands of years before the LOTR, so using named characters such as Aragorn and Halbarad who lived in the War of the Ring era would not fit the Fall of Arthedain theme; so what I do is I use an official profile (e.g. Halbarad) to represent the historical character I want to use (e.g. Aranarth), and a suitable looking model, painted (and possibly converted) to represent the character.

I want to represent a historical character from the LOTR timeline - Aranarth - the son and heir of King Arvedui and first Chieftain of the Dunedain.

The model I use is Duinhir (from the Gondor Fiefdoms), and I would use the Halbarad profile with armour, a bow and a spear. WYSIWYG applies to the equipment and the model does not look out of place in an Arnor army with rangers and Warriors of Arnor - I'm just re-appropriating a (really cool) model from a different list that I don't play, and repainting/converting it to fit my force.

I'm also working on converting some plastic Warriors of Minas Tirith into Warriors of Arnor, by shaving off the plate armour on the thighs, removing all the Gondor/White Tree iconography, sculpting on chainmail and cloaks, and replacing swords with spears (so the models closely resemble the actual metal Arnor Warrior models, and WYSIWYG applies to the equipment).

Would this be ok, or would I have to use the actual Arnor Warrior models?

If none of my examples of proxies and conversions (whether non-GW or GW miniatures) are permitted then thats ok, I'll happily abide by whatever the rules of the Tournament are. I'm aware that what might be acceptable for friendly games may not be appropriate for a Tournament setting.

I just want to find out what the official policy is regarding these sorts of proxies and conversions. Both the examples I gave (my Rohirrim/Anglo Saxon shieldwall infantry and my Fall of Arthedain army) would be my first and second choices. If they're ruled out, then that'll at least give me 4 months to bring one of my other forces (which I've neglected) up to a usable standard.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:57 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The event details are still unknown. Thermo hasn't revealed them yet. But it will be one army around the 500ish mark.

In regards to non GW models and proxies, you know my feelings but it isn't my call to make.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:54 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Just wondering and I'm guessing it's different at each tournament, but generally speaking, say I fielded an army of the dead force would it be ok to simply say "All warriors of the dead count as having a shield" or not??
Thanks in advance,
Billy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SouthernDunedain wrote:
The event details are still unknown. Thermo hasn't revealed them yet. But it will be one army around the 500ish mark.

In regards to non GW models and proxies, you know my feelings but it isn't my call to make.

Like I said my Arnor and Rohan forces were intended for friendly games. If they're not appropriate for a tournament setting I'm fine with that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
DMS invited me to the event next April in Manchester. Not yet sure if I'll attend, I havn't played LOTR in years so I lack the new rules and my armies need updating.

Would be great to have you down with DMS buddy. Don't worry too much about being hot on the rules, should be a fun event and Jamie and myself will be there to help all along. Attended my first tournament in Preston and all the players were helpful rather than ultra-competitive. Should be a fab chance to get SBG'ers from across the country (and world by the sounds of it) together for some toy soldier fun.

Quote:
If I'm to go, I'll need a few questions answered so I can plan out my force and spend the next 4 months preparing - I'll have a lot of painting and modelling to do.

No problem, hope I can help! Note, the video, threads and rules pack including all the details you need will be released in the New Year, but take this reply as a little prep heads up so you can get started :)

Quote:
1. How many armies are required? One army? Two armies, for both Good and Evil?

Single army, good or evil. Option to purchase place for a single additional army should one wish, but more specifics on how this will work at tournament itself will be included in rules pack.

Quote:
2. What would the point size be?

500 points :)

Quote:
3. Are proxies using appropriately themed, modelled and painted non-GW miniatures allowed?

Wow, I love your alternative Rohan. If we ever get a chance, I'd love to play against it in a video battle report! I've spoken to Jamie about this to confirm. Whilst your army is gorgeous, for tournament play, it's important that there is an effort for the actual models to be represented rather than proxied where possible. I think this is consistent with all the tournaments in the league, but nonetheless, I hope I get a chance to play against it some day!

Quote:
4. Are conversions and 'proxies' using official GW miniatures allowed?

Again, I love the theme behind your ideas! Just my kind of thing :) But once again, in the tournament environment, it's important that model A represents profile A (I'm sure you can imagine this getting abused by others, despite the thought going into your theme!) Prevents any confusion and blurring/greying of the lines.

Regardless, want to see you there buddy and we'll have to arrange a video batrep with your anglo-saxons and arnor sometime, they look cool!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ok. That was exactly the answer I expected but it didn't hurt to ask I guess.

I'm a little surprised about the Warriors of MT > W.o. Arnor conversions though. They're converted to clearly resemble the actual Warriors of Arnor models. I don't think anybody could possibly mistake them for anything other than Warriors of Arnor, especially when the ONLY models in the army will be Rangers of Arnor, Warriors/Captains of Arnor, Dunedain, Arvedui, Malbeth, Dunedain and 'Aranarth' (Halbarad profile with a spear, and using the Duinhir model which is perfect for a Dunedain character).

All white tree/gondor iconography filed away (chest, shield, swan wing designs on the helmet).
Turban/head wrap sculpted onto the helmet.
All swords replaced with spears.
Armour plates filed away and replaced with cloth tunics.
Chainmail sculpted around the waist.
Some of them have cloaks sculpted on.

I'll try and get a picture up sometime soon to show what they look like.

Still, if its absolutely not allowed with no leeway allowed then there's no hard feelings on my part. This is probably partly why I don't like tournaments and requirements to use only official GW models - too much restriction on creative freedom! That, and because I lack a single competitive bone in my body. :lol:

And just to be clear re the alternative Rohan, those images are not my models. Those are just images off the internet of the models I use to illustrate what my force does/will look like when finished.

Spoiler tags for off-topic wall of text.

My Anglo Saxon/ Rohirrim miniatures will look very similar to those in the photos, unless I choose to convert them to resemble the Rohirrim even more closely (green stuff cloaks, horse crests and plumes on helmets, emphasise horse iconography).

The idea is that the force will be from a region of Rohan that use little to no cavalry, and focus instead on Hearth Guard heavy infantry, levy militia, shield wall tactics and skirmishers (bowmen, javelins etc).

I play LOTRO and, inspired by its fluff and the recently added Rohan regions, I'm thinking of setting my force in Stangard (an outpost of exiles stationed by the Anduin river close to Mirkwood) or the Stonedeans. The Stonedeans is the region that borders Isengard and Dunland. The people of the Stonedeans have close relations with the Wildmen of Dunland and often inter-marry, so naturally their loyalty to Rohan is suspect. I think it would be a fitting setting for an infantry heavy Rohan force.

LOTRO Wiki wrote:
The Wild Men, with help from Saruman's Orcs and Uruk-hai, control a great deal of the Stonedeans. They prepare to cross the river-gorge at Brockbridge, where a few brave men hold back an endless tide threatening to wash over northern Stonedeans. Should the Wild Men succeed, they will surely march on Edoras to raze the city and its golden hall to the ground.

By no coincidence is this Riding the most similar to Dunland. Historically poor and uncivilized, compared with the remainder of the Westemnet, the Stonedeans have seen many marriages between Eorlingas the Dunlendings. Rohirrim from more prosperous lands even call it "Deanland" in jest.

My models are in various stages of painting...I'm very slow and easily distracted :oops: As I said, whatever army I'll pick I'll have a lot of painting and modelling to do.

Although, the image of the 'Rohan Hero' is very similar to how I painted my copy of that miniature. Red/white striped fancy pants, black tunic, gold scale armour, white fur cloak, blond hair and a shield with a white wolf/warg head symbol (the backstory for that character is/will be that he killed a White Warg Chieftan, wears its pelt, took a White Wolf Head as his personal symbol and bears a personal enmity with Wargs. Maybe I'll make a profile for him and give him Terror:Wargs and re-roll wounds against Wargs :-D ).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I could use my Gondor army (which I don't particularly want to as its my oldest and hence most poorly painted). But it has a few conversions/proxies too.

This is a Guard of the Fountain Court that I converted into a Captain when his spear broke. Could I field him as a Captain of Minas Tirith? (the fluff being, that he is the 'Captain of the Guard'. In-game, all the GotFC (distinguished by their spears) would be assigned to Bodyguard this Captain).

This a model that I converted using parts from a King Elessar and a Knight of Minas Tirith. Could I use it to represent a King of Men equipped with heavy armour, shield, lance and armoured horse? [i](there isn't an official model for that so surely this one would be ok?).

I will need to convert a foot counterpart for him. I've got a headless and armless King Elessar on foot whos been patiently awaiting a limb and head transplant for 3 or 4 years now. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hey buddy,

Ahh missed the Arnor warriors from Gondorians in the reply, that shouldn't be a problem since they are conversions from GW miniatures and that it is clear what they are (I'm looking to do a similar conversion myself!)

One solution to the Duinhir using Halbarad problem could be to bring Halbarad model too. Ask your opponent if they mind you using the Duinhir model with Halbarad profile and if they do, use the Halbarad instead. If you don't have a Halbarad, I'm happy to lend you mine on the day.

With regards to your captain conversion and your king of men with all that equipment, that looks absolutely fine :) I think the key thing with conversions etc is that it is clear to your opponent what they are up against, as well as, where possible, using the correct GW models to represent the correct profiles, rather than proxies.

Look forward to seeing it on the field of battle!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My Warriors of Arnor conversions.