All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:31 pm

Post subject: Mounted Rangers of the North...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hello everyone!

I've today received my final "Rangers of the North" models for my Grey company force and I've been toying with the idea of having them "mounted" for 750pt plus games in the future.

Since this option is not sold to us, I'm loathed to convert these more expensive metal models, especially as I want to continue using them on foot for 500pts or less.

I've thought about getting some extra plastic rangers and maybe learning some sculpting to add chainmail and RoTNesque helmets, star broaches etc (I've seen a link to such a conversion)...

But wondered on general "One-Ring" opinion on the following possibility and whether it would be supported or frowned upon. I was thinking of buying or acquiring the appropriate number of horses and converting the base of the horse so the standard infantry base could be slotted onto it, combining to make a single model when you want cavalry (almost like the ranger has either dismounted like a dragoon or is about to mount) but being able to remove the foot model when needed for the lower points games.

I'm not planning on going into games workshops or competative tournaments so guessing it's down to the thoughts of my opponents, but wondered what the general view would be to this lesser for of conversion?

Many thanks!

Post subject: Re: Mounted Rangers of the North...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I tried a mounted RotN conversion myself a few months ago, it's really not all that hard, you just need a Rohirrim leg donor, then it's a question of performing a body-switch and using greenstuff to tidy up the joints and cape :)

The idea with adding a Ranger to the horse's base is quite neat but yeah some might have a problem with that...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Monotone_Matt wrote:
I tried a mounted RotN conversion myself a few months ago, it's really not all that hard, you just need a Rohirrim leg donor, then it's a question of performing a body-switch and using greenstuff to tidy up the joints and cape :)

The idea with adding a Ranger to the horse's base is quite neat but yeah some might have a problem with that...

Hey Matt, hope you're enjoying your weekend! Have you got any pics of the conversion for reference? It's more the sawing in half of a metal foot model I may want to use on foot again, but still, something to consider!

I thought it might be a case of seeing how my likely opponents would feel about it. I'm sure they wouldn't mind, but let's ask them! Hashut, Gothmog, Ste... thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

They're in my WIP, from back when I first really started out with greenstuff. Here they are:

Good luck if you do try it! :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:05 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Think im gonna try some ranger mounted conversions myself thermo, after Ive finished my clansmen, my axemen, my other rangers, My Rohan, my weathertop and my warriors of Arnor, lol
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

ste271276 wrote:
Think im gonna try some ranger mounted conversions myself thermo, after Ive finished my clansmen, my axemen, my other rangers, My Rohan, my weathertop and my warriors of Arnor, lol

Idea thief! :rofl:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

LOL
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The riders of Rohan have similar armour to the "Grey Company" models, so couldn't you model the appropriate wargear and add hoods?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Oh no no, I would use a son of erol. Remove the shield and axe, add a sword, maybe a bow and hood. Much better looking model and it already has a cloak.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Jobu wrote:
Oh no no, I would use a son of erol. Remove the shield and axe, add a sword, maybe a bow and hood. Much better looking model and it already has a cloak.

Jobu! Did you receive everything ok? Still not heard from you :) Hope Faramir arrived promptly and in good condition.

I probably wouldn't chop up a Son of Eorl and would even be loath to chop a Ranger of the North. More likely add chainmail etc to a plastic ranger and chop that and half a rider of rohan to make the Mounted Ranger model.