All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 pm

Post subject: Repairing Broken Horses
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:47 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Looked for a thread about this and surprisingly couldn't find one. I'm currently stripping paint from my riders of Rohan and will be looking to repair those with broken legs. I will probably go about this by just using superglue and green stuff on the broken ankle but I want to try to reinforce the ones that are still in one piece somehow. I was thinking some kind of foam rock at the front maybe or possibly trying to secure one of the front legs to the base somehow. What do you guys do/how effective has it been? Pictures would also be welcomed to see how it looks. Cheers guys 8)
 Post subject: Re: Repairing Broken Horses
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You really need to pin the leg together for strength super glued in place. A rock supporting an 'in air' leg is also a good idead to reduce strain on the broken joint.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If some of the damage to the horse is really bad, you could always turn it into a fleshwound of some sort (once its stuck obviously). :boromir
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

No-one has a standard formula that they follow when they buy mounted plastic models then? I will see how easy it is to pin the leg together (might be a little thin for that) and definitely add a foam rock to the base to support the front a bit better. The damage isn't bad to any of them really, just the same standing leg which is breaking.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:34 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Post some pictures 8) im interested in seing the progress

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I had a leg break on my harad raider horse. I pinned it with the drill bit from the GW drill, then put in a piece of paper clip and glued it all back together. Once the glue was drie I puttied around the join with pro-create. I tried to kepp the putty thin, but I obviously got it thicker than it was before. So once the putty was dry I gave it a good sanding/fileing to blend it together. It is thicker than the other legs, but I don't think it will be noticable once it's painted, and it shouldn't braek again.

I agree that a strategically placed rock can work wonders to prevent breaks in the first place.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:57 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

How did you break the horse of a plastic harad raider, their in-the-air legs still touch the floor, they balance fine in my opinion. (I'm not insinuating you're clumsy)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It was actually me being clumsy/not careful. :-D :wink:
It's the 'running' pose, and I was pushing down no it for some reason, and the front leg with the bit of grass on it to make it touch the base broke just below the knee. I'm not sure exactly how it broke as I thought I was being rather careful.....I was actually quite surprpised and sad to see/feel it break as this is my first box of cavalry and I was trying to be really careful. :?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Oh dear lol, well at least you 'careful' has helped you to learn how to fix them.

And I've just remembered, I broke the leg of the Mouth of Saurons, horse, iit was a back leg, I replaced it with green stuff, you can't really tell, but if you look close enough you notice the difference. And that happened before I could pin, though I would never try to pin an area of metal that small as the last time I tried there was a hole in my thumb.

It seems you are not the only clumsy one anyway avenger.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I don't remember where my pin vice came from, but it has some very very thin drill bits. The trick is to center the hole so you have as much space to work with as possible. I frequently insert a pin before painting as a precaution on the plastic horses who have metal riders (I'm looking at you Rohan, why do you hate your horse's ankles?).

I use fragments of small but not particularly abnormal paper clips to supply the pins.

Step one is to make a nice clean horizonal cut in the leg, so you have a good surface to work with rather than whatever mess you're left with after a break. Step two is to drill the holes, make sure everything fits right, and then glue in the pins. Final step is applying a tiny bit of greenstuff to hide the join. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:52 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

When my metal Kataphrakts their legs where gone (when I bought them), I mailed to GW and received new Kataphrakts.
But I don't know if that might work, because it is you fault that they are broken.

How did you strip the paint?
Some fluids are not good for plastic miniatures.

I think sculpting is out of the question?