All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: NEWS: GW repackages infantry boxes and increases prices
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:11 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey guys, bad news: today I spoke with a redshirt in my local store and he told me that shortly GW is going to repackage all LotR plastic infantry boxes, halving their contents and "lowering" their prices. Now don't jump for joy, this lowering is actually a covert per model price increase of almost 35%!

Here's an example (sry it's in €, but that's what we have here...):
currently, a standard infantry box (e.g. Warriors of Rohan, Gondor, etc) contains 24 models and costs 26€. In future the box will contain 12 models (so, 1 sprue instead of 2) and cost 17,50€!
20 models will thus cost 35€, a whopping 9€ more than they do now - that's about 34,6% increase! Typical GW...

If you plan on getting some infantry, better get them sooner than later! Ye have been warned... :no:

Be aware that this isn't a rumour anymore, he openly advertised it to me, unasked... it's a given. Unfortunately. :sad:

Post subject: Re: NEWS: GW repackages infantry boxes and increases prices
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:34 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

FKKKKK! Buisness is buisness...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:54 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It'd still be worth it if the poses were new ones I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:29 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It would still be worth it??? You need to get your head digged out of the sand.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:38 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

And you need to get your manners back...

GW increase their prices all the time, and each increase gets absorbed just like the last. At least this time (If the poses were changed) there'd be something beneficial to go with the increase.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:31 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

If they don't offer anything new they won't get anything out of me...I already have everything I need. But it doesn't bode well for any new armies they might produce, like new Mirkwood elves, new dwarves of the Iron Hills, new Dale, Laketown, Gundabad, or Beornings
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:50 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Necromancer7 wrote:
It'd still be worth it if the poses were new ones I think.

I agree, but I doubt we will be seeing any new poses in repackaged items just yet. We will likely have to wait for new poses when the rumoured new goblins etc are released for the Hobbit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:38 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

BIt like they did with cadian shock troops and catachan ect i suppose! Although this doesn't look good for WOTR players, so if a box of 12 warriors of minas tirith contain 4 bowman, 4 spear man and 4 archers, for approx $17.50 you'd need to double that to fill 3 infantry movement trays $35 3 infantry movement trays aren't enough for an army of frontline troops so double that again to get 2 (old style) boxes of warriors of minas tirith equaling $70 aprox £45 in uk.....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:01 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I dont need anymore plastics anyways. I just hunt for the odd hero on ebay now. I believe they did this with the Cadian Shock troops a while back. To be honest (aside from the price increase which always happens anyways) 12 is better than 24. Because I find in most situations a 36 models are good but 48 are just too much.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:20 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

There is never to much.
When you build your army, you always need units.
I miss the old army boxes. I bought a minas tirith pack once: 36 mt warr, 12 ranger, 6 knight, 6 fountain g., mt cap and bann, Faramir, Damrod. The army boxes were amazin.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:58 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

But not all the armies had army boxes, I am correct?
I only remember Gondor having one. In either case it would be great to reintroduce them!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:08 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

i still need many of plastic armies... but i cant order from Games workshop anyway :rofl: they dont deliver to my country, its not on the list :D :D (portugal) :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:08 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Most GW spruces are eight to a sprue so they can not half the contents unless they remake the molds. Which is pretty expensive. I believe they will repackage for the hobbit but I have a hard time believing the half the contents. Some boxes were only twenty. New infantry from the hobbit may be 12 to a box, a bunch of dwarves perhaps? I can see a box of plastic heroes being that much.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:33 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Jobu wrote:
Most GW spruces are eight to a sprue so they can not half the contents unless they remake the molds. Which is pretty expensive. I believe they will repackage for the hobbit but I have a hard time believing the half the contents. Some boxes were only twenty. New infantry from the hobbit may be 12 to a box, a bunch of dwarves perhaps? I can see a box of plastic heroes being that much.

I'm sorry, I honestly have no idea on how (or if... or even when exactly) they will repack anything but the "standard" 24-model infantry boxes. I only have Rohan and Last Alliance, so that's all we talked about, I was so disgusted I didn't really want to talk about it anymore. :o However, I'm pretty sure that most 20-man boxes, such as Uruk-hai, will be halved as well, but that is just speculation on my part.
I also have no clue on how they are going to do it sprue-wise, I haven't held a LotR sprue for over 5 years, so their layout is unknown to me... I'm just repeating what the redshirt said to me in a very matter-of-fact way. ^^
I'll be passing by the store again today, I'll see if I can find out any more.

Edit: I just did a quick check-up on the GW site and the only box that had a picture of its sprue layout were the Galadhrim Warriors, and they are 12 per sprue. At least they won't need a new mold. ^^

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:43 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah, I like the larger numbers in boxes, too. As a hobbyist, there's more you can do when you don't have to worry about running out of minis or money too quickly.
There are a lot more GW minis I'd like to have, but there's only one that I genuinely want. Since I'm unwilling to buy the Undying direct from GW, it isn't too likely I'll get it, either - And then I remembered my friends at TheWarStore, so we'll see what happens. :roll:

I kinda doubt we'll be getting new sculpts for anything, since pretty much all these boxes just include multiples of the same sprue.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

There were several army boxes, sometimes I saw one on the ebay. There were gondor, rohan huge mordor, isengard. I saw a smaller dwarf army box too! Once I saw an easterling armybox.
And of course, there were the complett games: mines of moria, return of the king, the tower.
There were smaller boxes also, with 6-7 metal figure, like the guardians of the shire.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hmm this is a little saddening.. But makes sense from a business point of view. Less shelf space, less cost/investment to stockists etc meaning they'll be more willing to stock it.

After a while we all forget the price rises and just get on with it, I imagine the same will apply here, except when we buy a new force..

It'll make my life easier I think, as I know when I need like three more spears or something, I have to go and buy an entire box..
It's definitely bad for WOTR though..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Jobu wrote:

They are 12 to a sprue, the packaging will cost more than the sprue if there is only one to a box! Anyway, bye-bye GW.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Oh frag, looks like I have to stockpile not only metals but also plastics to save money. I can't handle a two-front war! But thanks Zogash for the heads up.
Do we have any idea how far away this is going to happen?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:08 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Fortunately my collection is done, I have enough plastic, I bought many from others.
I see, when they will relase the Hobbit figures, my first pack will be the new Fellowship :)
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next