All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 am

Post subject: Asking for Stats...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:49 am 
Administrator
Administrator

It is against the rules of the website to ask for Stats and other information from the SBG and WotR rulebooks that can be seen as infringement of Games Workshop's copyright.

This is stated in the posting guidelines and is pretty standard practice for all fansites around the place. So please do not ask, because you won't get an answer.

Having said that, it's not the end of the world if somebody does ask for stats. GW is not going to crush us underfoot for this unless we make it a commonplace practice.

So, to all you people who jumped on Prekas and his "brother" for asking for stats, calm down! That sort of vigilante behaviour is not tolerated here. It culminated in a very unpleasant and abisive message being sent to a new member who did not deserve it.

If you see a breach of the rules then contact me, MacGothmog, TheBucklandBrewer, or LOTRCrown, and we will deal with it. We have tools to identify the IP addresses of each user and where they posted messages from. We can determine if they have two or more user accounts and we have the power to permanently ban them from the site.

So stop the vigilante-style behaviour please, and leave the moderation to the moderators.

(oh, and to the coward that sent the abusive message from a bogus account, I know at least two of your other logins, so unless you send an apology to your victim, then expect to be banned).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:46 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I never thought it would hurt to remind new users of the rules - especially since mods aren't everywhere all the time. I don't see how saying "sorry, we can't post profiles - please don't ask for them" is "vigilante" behavior - this is not to excuse the chorus who jump in later and berate the user.

I honestly didn't know who the mods were (never really looked for them) - next time I'll just send you a PM whenever anyone asks for rules, etc.

Oh, and if anyone needs to find SBG stats they can just look in my sig :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well put, Alan. After a couple months of inactivity I came back to the forums and saw this almost aggressive behavior in relation to some new members... I didn't know the origin of the argument until now, and find it completely ridiculous that this happened in the first place. Makes me think of a pointless preschool quarrel I was in a long time ago :rofl:

Post subject: Re: Asking for Stats...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:16 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Why is this still an issue when everything is available to the public on GW's site in PDF for download? I got it back in the day when you HAD to buy the rule book to get any info but its differant now. I know GW used to be really iron fisted about this, again just curious, and confused why this is still an issue. It'd one thing if someone was posting stats for the Hobbit game before it came out so we could play without even buying the books but thats just no the case anymore.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:57 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Because Games Workshop can still sue you. It's up to them if they give things away for free, but they don't like other people doing it for them.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Besides, not "everything" is available on the GW website. Points cost, for example.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:32 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

good point about the points you have to have Legions and the main rule to make most of it work. I also just realized I would never have to ask for them and short of a newb just asking for them I cant think of a scenario where'd they'd actually come up...if anything they come up in comments when comparing somthing d5 to d6...thats ok to do right?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

A lone stat in mentioning (as opposed to answering the question of "What is a Dragon Knight's Fight value?") is fine, as is a comparison (E.G. The point of defence that the shield gives the Dwarf Warrior over one with a two-handed axe...).