All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:46 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: [PAINT] March Painting Challenge "WARBANDS"
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Behold, my Woody Wood Elves! :)

The challenge for me this month was actually to get 300 points of Wood Elves painted in time for the Close Encounters tournament last Sunday, which was the motivation I needed to pick up my paint brush again!

Here is a shot of the whole army: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-dDHpH0vrnZA/UVh5_DfWTyI/AAAAAAAAApM/g9QR-j2C93Y/s1280/IMG_0032.JPG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:18 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Love the books, what size base are they on? And how did you do the text?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Great new entries, all of them! :yay:

@WW: The Elven Mage is a great find. Much better than the GW Stormcaller! Is this a Red Box miniature? He fits in perfectly!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

@Fin
No, he's from mordheim
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Fin wrote:
@WW: The Elven Mage is a great find. Much better than the GW Stormcaller! Is this a Red Box miniature? He fits in perfectly!
Yep, as LordElrond stated, he is the Mordheim Elf Mage and is available to buy from the GW website.

Harfoot wrote:
Love the books, what size base are they on? And how did you do the text?
Thanks Harfoot, those are 40mm bases and the books themselves are actually doll house books bought off eBay, about 18mm tall. I photoshopped the covers down to size, printed and glued on!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great work everyone - there are some amazing warbands here. Not only are they all looking great, but to do them all in a month too. :yay:

Here is my offering to the thread, a little rushed due to end of term marking and real life getting in the way.

I'm annoyed that this shot has a fleck of static grass on the back of Beregond's cloak, but not enough to go and retake the photo!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice Fishlegs :yay: I always love seeing Beregond painted. There is something about him that i just love. You might have to reshoot the first shot for voting though because the archer on the far left is just out of shot :)

Check out my WIP! :meh:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:17 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Damn, seem to have just missed the deadline. Guess I'll just have to put them in my (relatively untouched) painting log :(

Good luck to those that made it. Some fantastic entries!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:20 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I finished 2 and a half out of the 8 figures originally intended :(

Check out my WIP! :meh:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well, by 7pm EST, aka midnight GMT, I had completed almost double the challenge.

There was a small problem: I had to base the damn things.

Alas, my basing protocol for Gondorian miniatures is a bit long and time consuming (they all have to have white bricks on their base to represent Gondor's broken glory) so I finished the challenge this morning. Then I needed enough light to take some pictures.

I didn't get it, so I'll take out the proper camera later and fiddle with lighting, but here's the preliminary results, courtesy of a rubbish smart phone camera.
And here they are with a better camera:
and
I painted 16 warriors in total, and two captains, as well as a Mithril Boromir representing a "King of Men" character. The idea is that these are part of the Gondorian forces who typically defend Osgiliath, but may be moved up or down the river to reinforce the garrisons at Cair Andros, or points south.

It's been a learning, or re-learning experience for me. Certain things became clear.

- I am way out of practice. Painting Reaper or D+D figures uses a different skillset than painting LOTR figures.
- This apartment is very dry. Paints just dry sooo fast.
- This apartment is verrrry dark. This is not surprising, but its worth mentioning.
- I need new brushes. The bunch I bought last year are all dead, and the three year old W+N Series 7 is still trucking, but showing its age.
- I need new paints. I am out a lot of base paints such as a Codex Grey and Scorched Brown variant.
- I really need to check out that Army Painter wash series, the one which is remarkably like Babdab Black and Devlan Mud. The dodgy Adiken ink and the ancient Citadel black ink are not-terrible for doing some Gondorian soldiers, but would be bad news indeed for other armies.

Real life got in the way a bunch (exams! essays! stuff!), and most of the work was done this final weekend. I actually hoped to have 24 soldiers done by now, but I realised that today is the 1st, not tomorrow.

Anyway, back to cleaning up the apartment after my painting marathon. Congrats to those who finished: you did brilliantly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well I finished my dwarves (three warbands worth actually) but I didn't get any photos taken before the deadline. So it looks like I'll be skipping out on this month's competition. Despite not having picture proof, I'm quite pleased with my month's production!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:04 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Fin wrote:
Are those Vallejo paints? Looks a lot like you used some of their WWII uniform colours on those. Really like that look. The drab colours add a lot of flavour to the models...

Thanks Fin, their actually GW paints. I mixed Mechanicus Standard Grey (Adeptus Battlegrey) with the base colour of their clothes, and then mixed in some Dawnstone (Codex Grey) for mid tones before highlighting.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11