Chris' Santa Warg Rider 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
valpas' Christmas Elf 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
basshead's Santa Troll 76%  76%  [ 37 ]
Total votes : 49
 Post subject: Voting for Painting Challenge: Winter
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:13 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Welcome to the voting thread for the Winter themed Painting Challenge (December).

Voting in this challenge should be based not just on painting skill, but also for application of different painting techniques, individual artist improvement, creativity and originality etc.

Voting will be open for 7 days and will close at 16:15pm GMT on 10th January.

The Entries are:

Sacrilege83's Frost Dragon:

BilboOfTheWhiteTower's Dwarf (not elligible for voting due to winning last month):

Chris' Santa Warg Rider:

ImageImage

valpas' Christmas Elf:

basshead's Santa Troll:

cal585's Winter Diorama (not elligible for voting due to late submission):

Good luck to all!

Post subject: Re: Voting for Painting Challenge: Winter
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:22 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

tough call between Sacrilege83 and basshead but as I supplied the troll for basshead to do his entry I had to go with his :P

All other entries fantastic, Great sculpting Chris!!!
BilbooftheWhiteTower - excellent as always
Valpas - very christmassy i like it!
and finally Cal585 - unlucky mate with the late finish - excellent idea well executed.. paint faster next time :wink:

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

all entrys are excellent but has not been difficult to choose who to vote bacause from the beginning I was fascinated with the ice dragon, very nice entry Sacrilege83's :yay:

Good luck to all 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I had to go with Basshead's. Cal585 did an impressive job with the ice on top of the water.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forgot to post pics of my completed entry oops! That's the effects of booze kids ;)

Anyway well done to all, the Santa Troll got my vote :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:04 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I was wondering where the pics of your where :?

Ah well, feel free to post them up in this thread if you want so people can at least see the finished product.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yes thankyou DMS for the troll. My vote goes to Sacrilege83 and the frost dragon. Very nice effect on the paint.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I thought: only four, choosing will be easy! And then all four are equally brilliant. :roll:

I'll get back to you on this one.

EDIT: I have chosen.

@ sacrilege. Superb blending and basing, not to mention the idea itself, but the red on his wings and belly is just too warm for me. It looks like he's beginning to melt, so 2nd place, and not first.
@ basshead. A very nice idea as well, and quite nicely made and painted, but just that little bit less impressive then the others.
@ Chris. Again, a very nice idea, but the excecution just doesn't quite do it justice. I don't know what exactly, but every time I see him, he annoys me a bit. Still VERY well done.

@ valpas. To be honest, i like your idea the least of the four, but in the end, this is a painting challenge and not a converting challenge, so the vote goes to your spendidly painted High Elf.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:36 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Telchar wrote:
I thought: only four, choosing will be easy! And then all four are equally brilliant. :roll:

@ sacrilege. Superb blending and basing, not to mention the idea itself, but the red on his wings and belly is just too warm for me. It looks like he's beginning to melt, so 2nd place, and not first.
@ basshead. A very nice idea as well, and quite nicely made and painted, but just that little bit less impressive then the others.
@ Chris. Again, a very nice idea, but the excecution just doesn't quite do it justice. I don't know what exactly, but every time I see him, he annoys me a bit. Still VERY well done.

@ valpas. To be honest, i like your idea the least of the four, but in the end, this is a painting challenge and not a converting challenge, so the vote goes to your spendidly painted High Elf.

annoys you? i see :( I wasn't expecting any vote anyway ... besides the obvious winner is SAnta troll

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:05 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

dont worry chris I loved your idea, and not a bad mini and it doesnt annoy me at all. Very festive indeed :)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:12 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

basshead wrote:
dont worry chris I loved your idea, and not a bad mini and it doesnt annoy me at all. Very festive indeed :)

i second that :yay:

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:45 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Upon seeing the thread it was my original intention to vote for Chirs or Sacrilge but I couldn't decide which one, I hadn't noticed that basshead had entered but when I saw that troll I was so amazed, it looks cool, awesome, hilarious and yet still strangely 'scarey', so he stole the vote from the two guys I oriiginally saw, anyway, well done all :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:08 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well, I went for Basshead. The troll is so great. The idea, the execution of the conversion, and the painting all combined for a superb outcome. Valpas' elf comes in a close second for me.If it was a normal competition, I wouldv'e votes for you as I would've paid more attention to the paiunting, and less to the conversion.....But this was a winter theme, and I have to say that Bassheads does have a bit more theme than your plain snow base. (though it is a well executed and painted base)
And cal, too bad you couldn't get it in on time, but nice work. The diorama looks cool.
Oh, and lorderkenbrand, get your mug outa that pint and get your pictures up! :-D
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Chris wrote:
Telchar wrote:

annoys you? i see :( I wasn't expecting any vote anyway ... besides the obvious winner is SAnta troll

sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. There's just something about him which makes me think "no, thats just not exactly it" if you know what I mean. Perhaps "annoy" was too strong a term.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:11 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

@Sacrilege83 - I really like the colours of the wings on your frost dragon. The blending is good on some of the areas of the wings however on the larger wing sections I feel they could be improved with more intermediate layers between the darkest and lightest colours. Great job with the blues and the base too.

@BOTWT - Nice job on the conversion and the paint job. I like how you've captured the darker, grittier colour scheme of some of the Dwarves in the upcoming Hobbit film. I think the skin could do with a couple more highlights but I believe the darker skin tone was intentional so no biggy.

@valpas - Great colour scheme on the elf. You've successfully managed to make a standard miniature fit really well into the christmas theme. The painting is also great as per usual.

@basshead - I love the sculpting work you've done on the troll. Very well executed and a great, original idea. The painting is great too. It was between yours and Chris' for me, but I went with Chris' in the end. Still, it's a fantastic entry and I think that is clear by the amount of votes you've recieved.

@cal585 - Great work on this little diorama of yours. Considering the problems you encountered during the challenge you did a great job on getting it to look like this. The painting is good and I really like how you've achieved the effect of ice. Is it PVA you used? As I've said before, it was a shame you missed the deadline.

And finally...

@Chris - I voted for you in the end. Firstly, you did a great job at sculpting your orc. It fits in perfectly with the theme, is an original idea and is very well executed. I also really liked the painting. The base also is really nice, I love the texture you managed to achieve with it.

Great job everybody in another month of superb entries. :yay:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:02 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This was a tough one. I would have voted for cal585's mini diorama if it was eligible but had to pick another one from the entries. I initially decided to vote for Sacrilege's dragon because it is so well painted and captures the frosty winter theme so well. I have to confess I don't really like christmas miniatures (call me Scrooge if you want) but then I eventually ended up voting for basshead's troll. It takes the Christmas theme to a completely new level, bad and scary Santa, now that's the way to do it... :-)

Chris's and Dave's painting looks also very good, Chris' pic is on a bit dark side so it's hard to see the shades and highlights well enough.

-- Pasi
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks all for the kind words. The ice was made using plastic (from the blisters) sandpapered and with super glue air bubbles on the underside, following the snow gallery on the GW website. My only annoyance was that it didn't seem to want to stick down very well.

As for my voting, in the end I went with Sacrilege's Frost Dragon due to what I saw as an interesting and believable take on the model (given they're from the north and their fondness of mountains). It was a hard choice though and the rest of you are to be congratulated for your efforts :yay:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:34 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I went back and forth between all the well done pieces, but finally went with Basshead's troll due to the sheer cost of the conversion!!
Very well done guys!! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:02 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

BilboOfTheWhiteTower wrote:
I went back and forth between all the well done pieces, but finally went with Basshead's troll due to the sheer cost of the conversion!!

It was only a bit of tin foil and green stuff and the base was a 40k one I had lying around i just cut the spent cartridges off filled the bullet holes and added a few more rocks. But Im glad you think it looks like it cost more :)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:09 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

basshead wrote:
BilboOfTheWhiteTower wrote:

It was only a bit of tin foil and green stuff and the base was a 40k one I had lying around i just cut the spent cartridges off filled the bullet holes and added a few more rocks. But Im glad you think it looks like it cost more :)

think he means the price of the miniature itself - its from the mordor catapult box set ..... expensive :wink:

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk