All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:52 pm

Post subject: Collecting All My Groups House Rules for WotR in One Place
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:59 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

All,

I have started a Blog to keep all the house rules that my gaming group uses in a single place … I makes it easier to keep track of it all in one place and make updates easily.

As I continue to post the rules up there will be regular updates - feel free to stop by and take a look and provide any comments or post a link on your own website/blog.

I'm curious to see what everyone thinks and everyone will enjoy the work being put in.

The web address is:

http://bairwaroftheringproject.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Bairchoro on Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Collecting All My Groups House Rules for WotR in One Pla
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The link takes you to some religious site

Trade viewtopic.php?f=38&p=378479#p378479

Last edited by Alatar of Rhun on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:16 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

There we go … forgot the "s" in "blogspot" … it's good to go, now
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

8) Very nice

Trade viewtopic.php?f=38&p=378479#p378479
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:53 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Bookmarked it. Us dwindling band of WotR players need to stick together virtually.

You should add the blog feature that allows us to follow your blog - as opposed to following you via Google Friends. FWIW
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:15 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Great suggestion - added the followers gadget to the blog … now those who would like to stay up to date with new posts can be notified when something has been posted. So far I've been able to post about every other day to every 3rd day - and I hope to continue at that rate … I've enjoyed writing for it so far and hope that the contents are those that others will find entertaining & useful. Let me know if there is a topic that anyone would like to have addressed, too.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

As a skim read this looks really gd. You've put alot of effort into it and when i have the time I hope to give this a really good read like it deserves. But so much content so quickly this is gd stuff!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:10 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks - I'm glad you are looking forward to reading it! i think there is some good stuff in there, and I have several more topics in the works right now, too.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:34 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I've posted up the new rules for "Hard to Kill!" on the blog - thank you everyone who has been visiting and reading the material! It has been a blast putting things together and getting them posted to the site.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:24 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

dear bairchoro,
i´ve just visit your blog a few days ago and i´m very impressed about it and the huge amount of work wich you have done (sorry for the terrible english, i´m from germany :) )
so i will take this chance to say THANKS A LOT :D

i try to convince my game buddy´s to change the gw rules (wich are also very good - but with many faults - which disturbing the fluff of this game) to use the additions or changes you have think about, on your blog (hope you know what i´ll try to say) :roll:

i hope you allow to use your thoughts?
and i hope you go on, and change some more gamerules and unit profiles by this rather in and of itself great tabletop game.

al the best from the other side, by the way a great hello to everybody!

oli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:18 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thank you, Oli.

I appreciate your kind words - and please feel free to use what is up there (that is why I'm posting it). I hope that you have found it interesting - I just realized, today, that I've passed 100 pages of posted material - and there is still a lot to still put up.

Feel free to make suggestions for things you would like to see, too. I can possibly get to it sooner rather than later.

I also just about finished my post on The Forgotten Kingdoms army - and that should be up on the site by tomorrow (Tuesday) or Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

Happy Reading - and feel free to pass along links or post comments.

- Bairchoro
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:07 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for this blog - it helped me clarify some things that weren't crystal clear after reading the rulebook.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:27 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

If I remember correctly, the Extremely Hard to Kill rule has often been a big discussion item on the WotR boards … I just posted the updated version of the rule that we use on the blog … take a look and feel free to provide feedback!

Thanks everyone for the great support and feedback so far!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:20 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Man Time flies, thanks for more updates! I'm gonna give the last 4 weeks a really gd read tomorrow night and finally give you some feedback. The Hard to Kill stuff is interesting but makes me wonder if the monsters would actually ever die?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:47 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

hi bairchoro,
thanks again for complete the units profiles 8)

one question about the the spell for glorfindels ability to spell "blessing of the valar" is glorfindel able to heal himself with this spell? or could he only heal other companies or monsters?

thank you for answering, maybe its more clear if you put this information additional to his profil!

and all the best for the year 2015.

best regards
oliver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:01 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I just read a couple of the cost comparison articles, you are crazy, I love it :)

Other GW games now have fan-made living lists. I wonder if this isn't the time for WOTR?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:44 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Oli,

oli-zapp wrote:
one question about the the spell for glorfindels ability to spell "blessing of the valar" is glorfindel able to heal himself with this spell? or could he only heal other companies or monsters?

thank you for answering, maybe its more clear if you put this information additional to his profil!

If you look at the Target in the spell in question - I changed it from Caster's Formation to Friendly Formation. I intended this to mean that it could be cast on any target formation within the Army (including oneself); so, yes - to answer your question - he can cast the spall on himself and remove wound counters with the "Blessing of the Valar" spell. In fact, this is why the 'healing monsters' note was added to it as well - for the very reason that healing a monster formation does not have the depleted units - and it wouldn't be of any use in that case for monsters. :twisted:

Great question … I was planning on doing a post for Magic and providing a few examples similar to what you are implying … perhaps for the Blessing of the Valar spell I'll include an example with Glorfindel healing himself - to make him even more of a Hard to Kill Flying Monster Hero of doom!

Xelee,

Xelee wrote:
I just read a couple of the cost comparison articles, you are crazy, I love it

Thanks for the great feedback! I appreciate your dedication to WotR and all the work you have done on this forum, as well. Let me know if you have ANY comments or suggestions on anything - I'd love to hear whatever you have to say.

I'm about 50% done with the Ridiculously Hard to Kill post - I just need to finish up the example fight with the Mumakil …

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:23 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi Bairchoro, my initial take is that the cost consistency is a winner but has issues.

To give a small example (but they are both related): I wouldn't rate a Warrior of Carn Dum the equal of a Dunlending Huscarl and in both cases I think the formula underestimates how huge the jump from 6(4) to 7(5) is given there is a lot of STR 4 out there but STR 5 is scarce. The larger example is that the approach has costed all the 8 Wraiths the same but clearly some rules are far more beneficial than others. In both cases though, I assume the cost consistency thing is a 'first pass' and then something like the breakdown that you've done on movement will (eventually) do something with special rules?

Anyway, to be honest I can find holes but think that given sufficient time the way you are doing this will sort them and a complete set of recosts will be very useful. I know that two other guys I showed your stuff to really liked the idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:58 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Xelee,

You are absolutely right - using the general cost for all special rules does create a few holes. The way I've been approaching it is baselining using the general cost as a first pass (as is being posted right now) then go through and rank all of the special rules from least useful/powerful to most (in fact some of this has already started with things like counting Mighty Hero as 4x the normal cost and Extremely Hard to Kill as 3x the normal cost).

Furthermore, as you mention Essence Leach is way more "powerful" than say Poisoned Weapons (for example). Once everything is through the first wave (I still have Dwarves and Fallen Realms to finish up) then the rack-and-stack can take place and get more refined. Also, since I have it all in the spreadsheet to do the calculations it makes it easy to adjust on the fly and re-calculate.

Thank you for the supportive comments, also - I'm hoping that others are finding it beneficial; also the support from the community encourages me to continue to post my stuff and continually provide updates - because I know a lot of others have attempted to start this same journey and it has stalled or fizzled out … I've definitely had a blast going through all my old files and documents and re-gathering everything together.

I have about 20-30 additional post ideas that are "in the queue" to eventually get written and posted; hopefully this will continue to improve and narrow-in on the best solution for WotR v2. :) The next hurdle I'll eventually face is getting GW to let me "publish" it - and get it out to the community as a whole (any ideas on how to do that?)!

- Bairchoro
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:40 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey all,

Just a quick status update. There have been several more posts elated to house rules that we use for converting SBG profiles into WotR. Also, over the last several weeks I've been continuing to work on a calculator application that can handle all the math for rotation and translation that have had multiple posts put up on the blog.

Go check out the latest updates and provide any feedback or comments on what you find!