All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 pm

Post subject: Mordor Army
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I only played two WotR games learning by doing and did not read the rules yet. In a few months there will be a tournament in Germany and a qant to take part in it. There are restrictions, to make the game more balanced:
max 5 spells per turn
max 14 might at the start
only 1 monster with impossible to kill
max 40 companies

And this is my first try to write a War of the Ring armylist:

Ringwraith (don't know who maybe Dwimmerlaik)

2x Mordortrollchieftain
2x6xMorannonorcs with Shields, Banner, Captain
2x2xMorannonorcs with Shileds, Shaman
1x6xWargriders with Shields and Captain

The idea is: big Formations in the center, little behinde them to cast spells, but not be in danger of heroic duells, or take terrain. Trolls and Wargriders beside them so that a don't get surrounded.
Thoughst?
 Post subject: Re: Mordor Army
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:52 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi there, and welcome to War of the Ring!

Glad to see there is a tournament, and good luck!

Specific advice based on your list and requirements:

1. The restrictions for the tournament seem a little unusual. I can see why, the spell restrictions I guess is to limit 'wraith spam' having too many Nazgul (which can quickly break the game), the company one to prevent large almost leaderless armies of high defence troops, and the Might limit ... well not entirely sure the reasoning for that.

2. From the list as posted I calculate your list at 1495 points. It is good that you have an idea and built your army around a general strategy. But you need some flexibility if there is a chance in the tournament you will be playing the 'Maelstrom' deployment, where formations come on randomly from any board edge and you can't predict when.

3. The good aspects of the list, are the large blocks of Morannon orcs, the wargs, and the nazgul. These work well together and are often staples of any Mordor army.

4. The more troublesome aspects of the army are the Troll chieftans, the small units with a shaman. The chiefs and the shamans are expensive for what they do, and the trolls are not particularly hard to kill, ironic given the fact the have the Very hard to Kill! rule. And small formations don't take much to kill. 12 hits and the shaman and his lads are dead. I know you are trying to shield these from being duelled or targetted but spellcasters work better hin larger formations as a 'platform' and taking your chances on being duelled by an enemy hero I suggest dropping these, as at 700 points that is nearly half your army.

5. spend the 700 on something like:
a... 6 more companies of wargs, and Chief. A single formation of cavalry is often the first target for enemy archers, as they die quickly as only 4 hits remove a company. So either take 2 formations of 6 wargs and shields and captain. Or 3 formations of 4 with shields and captain. I personally feel 4 companies is a good size for manoeuvrability, but I have a fellow player who prefers 6 companies to 'absorb' a few hits.

1 formation of cavalry is a bit of a glass sword, but when you take two, or even three, working together, your enemy has a harder job neutralising them before they strike. The point of a captain with each is to give them added movement via At the Double!, and to call Heroic Fight so they can charge again while the enemy is (probably) disordered and can barely fight back.

Also cavalry are useful... just as in real life.. flanking, getting down the side of the table and threatening the enemy from the side or rear. and means they have to deal with them defensively or risk a crushing strike, leaving you batter able to attack the front with the heavy infantry.

b... add a second Nazgul. If the restrictions mean you can't take 2 Mastery 3 casters, (as opposed to being unable to cast more than 5 spells a turn), then consider taking Kardush the Firecaller, who is a Mordor hero. Another popular choice is to ally in Druzhag the Beastcaller (Misty Mountains). These costs the same as shaman, and being an epic hero they can move formations. But they cast spells of ruin, and Druzhag also casts spells of wilderness and can summon wargs or spiders or bats by spending Might (and usually would be a better choice than Kardush).

But if you really want the spells of darkness, then by all means take the two shamans, but consider allying in Queen Beruthiel from the Fallen Realms. She has no official model, so any scary regal looking spellcaster will do. She is 100 points, casts spells of Darkness, has Mastery 2. I have never seen her used, but if you have a 5 spell resitriction she makes a good alternative, along with Kardush and Druzhag.

c... If you can take two nazgul, The Tainted and the Dwimmerlaik work very well together. If only one, then maybe the Shadowlord (good for protecting against archers) or with your enemy's least favourite nazgul: Khamul the Easterling. People hate him pecause 1/3 of hits can be deflected, back on to the enemy if within range. I think as written he is a little overpowered, but if you are being hamstrung by not being allowed to take more than one nazgul, may as well use him.

d. You have no firepower. So any remaining points I suggest in 1-2 catapaults, or formations of orc archers, or some similar ranged attack option. I sometimes like orc trackers who are 10 points more than normal orc archers, but can be placed in ambush deep in enemy territory.

e. Option: if you don't want shooters and focus on 'running in' hard, then some more morannons, or a large mass of orcs with shields help bulk out the centre. In an infantry heavy army, consider taking gothmog, he is a solid leader for Mordor. In fact consider him anyway even if you take shooters.

f. As an option. instead of more wargs and the additional spellcaster you could take 2-3 trolls a troll chief and maybe a drummer. As a 'bloc' they can be potent, but a careful enemy may be able to neutralise them. I think though if you are still new, using monsters effectively takes some practice, and are better off with the cavalry and casters and some shooting.

There is a lot to read above, but it may guide you to a stronger list given the tournament restrictions..

Taking the War in Middle earth to a new level!