All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:58 pm

Post subject: what actually happens when combat ends?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I was trying to learn the wotr rules by putting a prowler and a moria goblin company against a dwarf warrior kinband.the dwarves won, prowlers are gone and goblins are disordered.can anyone tell me if the goblins move back an inch or does the fight just continue with the goblins disordered until one of the sides is defeated?

Post subject: Re: what actually happens when combat ends?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'de have to check my Rules manual since it's been a while since I've played, but I am pretty sure that the companies back away an inch.

The next turn before you move, take a courage (?) test and if you pass it then the company is no longer disordered. If the test is failed the company remains disordered until the next turn when they can take another courage test to try to become ordered again. The company will remain disordered until they pass a courage test.

I will check my manual later to make sure that that is right, but I am fairly confident with that answer.

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:26 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Da Krimson Barun wrote:
I was trying to learn the wotr rules by putting a prowler and a moria goblin company against a dwarf warrior kinband.the dwarves won, prowlers are gone and goblins are disordered.can anyone tell me if the goblins move back an inch or does the fight just continue with the goblins disordered until one of the sides is defeated?

Page 50, under "Determining a Victor" They always move back slightly. Show "disordered" by tilting the movement tray or placing a marker.

This is a rule that's counter-intuitive for WFB players. Every combat finishes with a backing away thus allowing for another charge in the next turn. Which makes getting priority or using a heroic/epic action so important. You throw more dice coming in on a charge.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

As the previous poster says in the quote. you just move the troops apart slightly (an inch is never specified in WotR, just apart so the two formations are not touching) and mark the disordered formation in some way. That's it for that combat.

The first exception is if a hero had called Heroic Fight in a combat and his formation won, they can charge again. If they charge a disordered formation (for example the formation they just beat) then the disordered formation will only get 1 attack per company regardless of ALL modifiers.

The second exception is if a cavalry formation wins a fight. After the disorder checks they roll a d6. On a 6, they get 'Earthshaking charge' and may charge again.

These are (I think) the only times a formation gets to 'fight' more than one time in a combat phase.

Taking the War in Middle earth to a new level!