All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:55 pm

Post subject: Starting wotr
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:14 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello all
I've always been interested in WOTR, but only recently have I gathered forces large enough to play it (or hopefully large enough). I have several armies that would probably make for small lists. For Mordor I have roughly 170 infantry, 10 cavalry and several monsters, a little less for minas tirith, fallen realms is about 90 infantry, 2 mumakil, and a few chariots.
My question is, if I am going to start playing with a friend who is starting as well, what size battles should we start with? Should we start with smaller formations with less companies, or simplify the rules at first? What do you thing would be best?
Thanks for any advice
Nick
 Post subject: Re: Starting wotr
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Start small and learn the rules - where do you live, there might be other WotR players nearby

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:04 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

My first game was at 500pts, which was fine for learning the mechanics, but I would go for 800. Allows for 1-2 of extra formations and a couple extra non-epic heroes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:35 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My recommendation is to start off with 500 points of infantry and cavalry and make sure you have a formation of archers. This way you can learn all the different phases. Infantry formations are best at 4 COs each for common formations and 3 COs each for cavalry. Include a captian or two on each side so you see how heroic actions work.

The next time you play, go for 750 points and include an epic hero on each side, one that does not use magic.

Then the next time you play, go for 1,000 points and use an epic hero with magic such as a Ringwraith and Gandalf the Grey.

You should work up to 1,500 points with a monster or two on each side. Trolls for evil and an ent for good. You then would want to add a flying monster such as a Great Eagle and a Ringwraith on Fell Beast.

If you decide on a good army, remember you need allies to defeat the forces of evil. No matter if you decide on Gondor, Rohan, Elves or Dwarves, you need allies from the Forgotten Kingdoms list. Saruman, the White, Gandalf, Radagast, Great Eagles and Ents will be able to counter Ringwraiths, trolls, and fell beasts.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:16 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks a lot for the replies, would the game work better to start off with, with a few normal sized formations (3-4COs) or more very small formations (1-2 COs)?
Thanks again for all the help
Nick
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Depends on the size of the opposing armies. If only 500 points, you can start off with 2 company infantry formations. But they won't last long. Common infantry formations need a least 3-4 companies to absorb hits. If not, your hero in the command company will die quickly because of the Hope is Lost rule where the formation is instantly removed as soon as the final company in reduced to half strength.

Cavalry need to be at least 3 companies for the same reason with fewer models in each company.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:31 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks a lot for that, it might be a while before we can play our first games. Perhaps having fragile small companies will be good, allowing us to get more games in and get used to the basic game mechanics. We would have to bring them up to a proper size to bring in monstersthough. Thanks for all the help. I'm sure that i'll be needing some more advice before long

Cheers

Nick