All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 pm

Post subject: First game
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello all

New to the forum hope to make many more posts.

so as said i played first game of war of the ring the other day and the guy i played kept calling broken on me and i just want to make sure we were doing things right so heres the lists (1,000pts)

i had gondor:

Strider (went with cav)
saruman with a formation of warriors

4 x 3 companies of warriors
2 x 3 gondor cav
3 ABT

he had from memory

a reasonable formation of uruk skirmishers lead by lurtz

a large block of 6 comps of isengard orcs

4 comps of pikeman

3 comps warg with bows

4 comps warg

so i pretty much tabled him and all he took from me was a few kills (he managed to get aarragon in the end and his cav that was all.

so was my list too over powered?

also was wondering after a fight is finished does the winner not get to reform or anything as aarragon got punished after fighting he got stuck in a block afterwards he charged me in the flank with 8 berserkers who killed me as i could only put 1 dice against them and not kill any of his berserker as their all res 2.

on another note is killing stuff really as easy as working out how many dice then rolling to see if you wound for both shooting and cc?

Apologies for poor grammar and spelling.

Cheers

Cazmac
 Post subject: Re: First game
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Welcome to the world of War of the Ring. And hope you enjoyed the game despite your opponents barbs!

As an Isengard player who plays against Gondor a lot, it is perfectly possible to achieve good results regularly.

Your list isn't broken, but it is... good value for 1000 points for sure, and a more 'well rounded' list than your opponents Isengard army. With a game or two it would become clear to your opponent how to deal with this list. You had some cavalry, magic, ranged attacks and a good mix of infantry. A solid line up you expect from the White Tower.

I think rather your opponent's list needs work. Lurtz is rather expensive for what he gives (he is 25 points less than Aragorn, and is far less effective). It is slightly harder to make effective Isengard armies but they hit hard and can wear down the Gondor boys. I would take Saruman as Isengard usually, the evil Saruman costs 40 more than good Saruman, but he hits harder, and also has inspiring leader for everyone.

---
Quote:
also was wondering after a fight is finished does the winner not get to reform or anything as aarragon got punished after fighting he got stuck in a block afterwards he charged me in the flank with 8 berserkers who killed me as i could only put 1 dice against them and not kill any of his berserker as their all res 2.

Remember all moves are in move phase. All charges in charge phase. All fights in the fight phase. One player does all his actions in a phase. Then the other player all his actions in that phase. Then you move on to the next phase.

After a formation wins a fight, it will always get a chance to move in the next move phase. Thats when you can reform. If it looks like your Epic hero might be surrounded, you can always try and Epic Move him to a safer formation nearby. (read the rules on this)

Aragorn also could have called 'Epic strike' in your example. That would have raised his fight to 10. Beserkers are Fight 4 (fight 5 minus 1 because of 2 handed weapons). This means Aragorn's company would have had 2 attacks (cavalry) + 6 (fight difference) - 3 (flank attack) = 5 attacks. And you would have needed 5's to score a hit, and with Narsil, that goes down to 3's for Aragorn's company, so you would likely have killed 1-2 beserkers.

But I think you need to make sure you are doing things in the right way, resolving each phase fully before moving to the next.

Quote:
on another note is killing stuff really as easy as working out how many dice then rolling to see if you wound for both shooting and cc?

yes. e.g. if you attack with 16 men, and get 16 attacks, you just look up the strength of the formation (or missile weapon) vs the defence, and try to roll that number or higher that number with 16 dice, in this example.

WOTR is meant to be a quick way of having many many troops moving and fighting

Taking the War in Middle earth to a new level!