All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:45 am

Post subject: Re: War of the Ring 2 ed?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:40 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Good post Toby, enjoyed reading it. Let's hope GW do release V. 2 one day.

I was wondering has anyone else written updates to the rules like are gaming group has done?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

daersalon wrote:
Back to 2. Ed:
For the last 4 or so games we have managed to play large 2000+ point battles on a large table (2 6x4' tables making a great 8'x6' play area). The 'feel' is great and the sense of a large battle with the ebb and flow of victory uncertain as different sides have successes across the battlefront.

It would be such a shame to lose that from lord of the Rings and the Hobbit.

One point against a future mass battle release that people latch on to is the smaller boxes (10-12 infantry) and the increased price. And also people saying that GW wouldn't release a Mass battle system as it would be too expensive to amass a force. But, consider this: Has our favourite lotr figure manufacturer ever shied away from opportunities to increase its turnover and ways to enhance their lucre?

I would say, rather, that WotR was born out of a 'fading' of the franchise in sales... Most players had forces they could use for SBG, and most of the models from the films had been released, and indeed the films were 6 years past, and The Hobbit Film(s) still a dream stuck in pre-production wrangles and ifs and maybes. WotR encouraged players with a reasonable force to buy more to make a massed army.

The WotR rules I think were a marvel to utilise what was in the available boxes... generally 24 models in a box to make 3 companies of 8. Or 3 companies of cavalry.

If the same model is applied. Then after a year or two of SBG focus after the last movie and while they still have the license, they may bring out a form of larger scale battles, based on the new box sizes (10-12 infantry). As for WotR all GW has to do is make (possibly) movement trays and a nice profitable rulebook, and they can keep selling more models of already produced ranges until their license runs out... (minimal effort to maximise profit)

The only fly in the ointment is, as I pointed out previously, indirectly, is a reduced lack of commitment in the franchise. The Hobbit features on many of the last year's White Dwarf covers... yet barely a mention inside those covers, let alone a gaming or modelling article!

Hear hear!

We have some house rules but we're ust 3 gamers who play WOTR al lot. We've adjusted the pionts value for some models and have managed to make some house rules for things such as the beast of gorgoroth. (thanks you Gothmog the werewolf!)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The most sense, to my eyes would be;

WotR 2: The Battle of Five Armies

Released a year after the last film, once their LotR plans are finished and it's just about selling miniatures rather than making new ones. Release a set with every profile for every faction you have released, tying everything together in two rule books, one each for WotR and SBG.

Increase box sizes back to 24, put prices up from £15 to say £22.50 or £25. They'll get some goodwill back from the community for making things slightly cheaper, with the side effect making it easier for them to shift boxes. Push this for a year or so until the licence wears down in 2017. They can then look at:

a: Is there likely to be another Tolkien film to capitalize on? (unlikely)
b: Is WotR/SBG making enough profit to renew the license? (unlikely)

Resulting in the end of the license and the end of the miniature line in 2017. I'd guess another 20-25 years and we'll be seeing the LotR reboot films and either another company moves in to pick everything up or GW (if they're still going) will boot everything up again and start a new line from scratch.

My SBG WIP thread.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I suspect that if the range is even vaguely successful, we will see troop types and heroes released from even the tinniest clip or mention in the book.

WOTR 2 is never going to happen as the first was such a dismal flop commercially, and they're whole price structure is now based upon selling small amounts of miniatures at a high cost.

It would be great if they released some rules for the Hobbit stuff to make it onto the WOTR table top.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It's a sobering thought that GW could discontinue the line by 2017, although I think that's a bit early. As much as I'd like a 2nd ed of wotr I don't see it ever happening, they had no problem using sbg for the battle of pellenor so it should be no different with battle of five armies.

Wotr wasn't really brought in because GW are super nice and wanted to give us fans a way of fighting mass battles, it was just to sell more models. Now with the pack sizes halfed they have no reason to bring out another mass battle system.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

What if 2nd edition goes to a 4-man foot company instead of 8? They can still keep the cavalry at 6 per box and you would then be able to make 3 companies for each, per box.

Brian
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thats quite a good solution, but it detracts from the original idea of massed . Also the game was such a flop commercially that they would be crazy to try it again.