All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:48 am

Post subject: Tips for using Sauron
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:51 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hope someone can help me on the best way to use Sauron, have a game planned in which I will have only 1250 points and that includes Sauron.

Have the remaining points sorted with Morranon Orcs, etc. But want some tips on the best spells and the order of them, how to use his numerous Epic rules in the most effective way.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Tips for using Sauron
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

As aggressively as possible, he can kill with a glance and and is more deadly when surrounded than not.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Make most of your warband leaders orc taskmasters, use the free might they will give sauron to cast channelled chill soul every turn and ill like 5 models a turn with it, then you have instantly won. Do not blow any more points on big models except maybe a named wraith if you really need to. Sauron+morannons+taskmasters+some elites (morgul knights?) should be solid. Focus on getting really good numbers.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:38 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Marsbar, pretty sure harfoot is on about WotR. Sauron in WotR cannot channel chill soul. That spell doesnt even exist in WotR haha.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:46 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well Sauron has touched by destiny and mighty hero so without depleting your might store you can use Epic Channeling and Epic Ruination if you're casting spells that turn (no CQC that turn thou). And obviously in CQC u do Epic Strength an Epic Strike. But anyways back to the magic.
I like to start with low focus requirements like sunder spirit followed by visions of woe, then bolt of fire! Then Bolt of fire! Then BOLT OF FIRE! (You might notice a repeat theme here). Because you boosted your spells of ruin your fire now strikes at a strength 7 or 9 if you roll a 6. And with your re-roll because of Epic Channeling you've got a good shot at passing each focus roll.

Now if you will be in close quarters with an enemy then it's all about Sunder Spirit, Enfeeble, and Shatter Shields. Make them fail their courage checks (either to charge you or more importantly if you charge them), lower there strength so they can't hurt you an then drop their defense so you slaughter them all with your all you bonus strength 10 strikes! (assuming you've used Epic Strength and Epic Strike)

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Who are you going against? If they have anyone with spells of command they can just do the one that kills spirits and you will die fast. They don't even need to risk putting the spell caster in the front line as Sauron is tall.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:08 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Sauron can hide behind the troops in WotR!!!

In WotR it doesn't matter how tall a model is, it can't be seen if it is screened by a formation in front. The WotR are very fast and flowing (compared to the nightmare that is WHFB), but it does mean there are some simplifications in movement and sight lines. Any defensible terrain or hill, or formation obscures anything behind it unless one or the other is in an elevated position (eg on a hill)

Yes, at the extreme it *does* mean A stone giant can hide behind goblins and not be shot at. the only monster / formation that can be shot if it is behind another (if everyone is on the same level) is the Mumak. It is the only one specified as acting as being elevated. (and as you see in the film, they are enormous, no troll or fell beast or what have you comes close)

As to the original question. The simple answer is: Don't take him!

The longer answer, if you really want to try is: Sauron is a difficult proposition to take and use effectively. He is (only!) Very Hard to Kill, which means he is vulnerable. So keep him back, screened until later in the game. Beware of tasty easy targets offered by the opponent to lure him into the open...

If I was using him I would: use two formations of troops as a shield wall. Two, not one. Equip them with drums so they are move 7 or 14 with ATD!. Sauron is move 8. The orcs are likely to pass ATD! rolls as Sauron has Inspiring Leader Master and will be in range always. move up each formation abreast with Sauron just behind, near where the two formations meet.

His main use is as a Spell factory. Move one screen formation at a slight angle but forwards. Move Sauron next to them and just behind. call Epic Channelling (for free using Touched by Destiny) Then Epic Ruination using his free might point each turn. Fling spells at will, starting with things like Excciscate which are low focus but will have Strength 3, then some darkness/dismay which are often focus 3, but don't forget the Bolt of fire which thanks to Epic Ruination will be Strength 7. Then when he is done, use his remaining inch or two of movement to tuck him back slightly behind the screen, and move up the second screen formation back abreast with the first to protect him.

He could hold his own for a round or two with infantry, but he doesn't have spirit grasp, is only Fight 6, and resilience 2, so you definitely don't want him facing Aragorn in a duel!

Taking the War in Middle earth to a new level!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:34 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Thanks for the tips guys, definitely going to use him, just for a bit of fun. Have more of a handle on him now I have read this

Daersalon, I see the time of your post & know you don't get up early, wow were you having a late one! Painting or sculpting?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

In my experience, nothing quite attracts arrows or attention like Sauron! The enemy will really sit up and take notice as soon as they see him, often to the point whereby he can attract more attention than perhaps he deserves. It is well worth building a strategy to allow and take advantage of this.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:00 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

daersalon wrote:

In WotR it doesn't matter how tall a model is, it can't be seen if it is screened by a formation in front. The WotR are very fast and flowing (compared to the nightmare that is WHFB), but it does mean there are some simplifications in movement and sight lines. Any defensible terrain or hill, or formation obscures anything behind it unless one or the other is in an elevated position (eg on a hill)

Yes, at the extreme it *does* mean A stone giant can hide behind goblins and not be shot at. the only monster / formation that can be shot if it is behind another (if everyone is on the same level) is the Mumak. It is the only one specified as acting as being elevated. (and as you see in the film, they are enormous, no troll or fell beast or what have you comes close)

Really? Do you have a page reference for that? If that's true I've really been playing it wrong.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

johnny189 wrote:
daersalon wrote:

Really? Do you have a page reference for that? If that's true I've really been playing it wrong.

Page 37 holds the rules for what can and can't be seen.

Also, I'm the guy Harfoot is playing this week. Tipping your hand a little here buddy ;)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:19 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

ummm yes, sorry Elliot, had to get some pointers didn't I !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Don't worry, I'm sure there will be plenty of surprises! =]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:23 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

daersalon wrote:
As to the original question. The simple answer is: Don't take him!

Yes, probably the best advise, Sauron did a good job in killing Glorfindel, bu was slain by Elf Archers with a 6 on the Very Hard to Kill table after Sauron had taken 4 wound counters.

Needless to say, on a 1250 point army he is to points hungry at 500, maybe on a 3000 to 4000 point army he maybe useful.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That's a bit disappointing, I was hoping for a bit more carnage, though Glorfindel's death is not to be sniffed at!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey all, I'm the guy Harfoot faced. My elf army beat a Mordor army- first time ever in WOTR?
;)

To be fair to us both, we each had some awful rolls. I got double ones when taking the terror test to have Glorfindel charge Sauron, and the majority of my spells failed their focus tests. On the other hand a rogue elf arrow slew Sauron. In fact, we both mentioned that no one would believe it if we were to report our battle.

"I threw down my enemy, and he fell from the high place and broke the mountain-side where he smote it in his ruin."
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

My opponent has used him in a 3,5k battle I had last week! It took us 2 days to complete the game but still it was very interesting to see sauron on the field.

I had a couple of wizards(glorfindel, galadriel, elrond) who could slay sauron with the spells of command(light of the valar D3 automatic hits on spirits).. It had a focus of 2+ so I could use it all the time.

He kept sauron behind his lines most of the time and just used him as a magic cannon. Because I hit him(with magic) a couple of times he lost all his might which made him vulnerable.

Make sure you keep him safe by using heroic move! (triple move distance) If he couldnt do that little trick I would probably have killed him quite soon.

Use his free epic action for epic channeling and cast bolt of fire on the enemy all the time! He can do it like 5 times in a row. Most destructive spell in the game I recon.

As he only has a fight of 6 make sure you always use epic strike in any case of a duel.. Some one like elendil or gil galad would kill him with fight 10!

Hope this advice helps 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You can use the same spell multiple times in a turn? I'm pretty sure you can't...

:puppy:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

P.70 explains that you may not use the same spell more than once (per turn) per spell caster.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:39 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Indeed. As a Ruin caster (Druzhag and Saruman in my Isengard and Misty Mountain Lists) being able to cast bolt of fire two or three times would be handy.

Unfortunately one can't. But Sauron has plenty to choose from still.

Taking the War in Middle earth to a new level!