All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:32 am

Post subject: WOTR- TIPS TACTICS HELP -DWARF ARMY
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:22 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi all, just joined today, quite new to WOTR and have just started to collect Dwarfs. Only have a few figures laying around and brought some but have some questions:
What should i go for next?
Any good tactics to use vs Mordor?
I currently have,

Epic Heros:
Balin, Lord of Moria
Gimli, Son of Gloin

Common:
Dwarf warrior formation (2companies) /w Shields and Banner Bearer
Dwarf archer formation (2companies)

Rare:
Khazad guard formation (2companies)
Dwarf ballista (1company)

Allies:
2x Ents

Im thinking of getting some more warriors to make a more solid and bulk formation(s) to hold the centre of my line, another Khazad guard company and a ballista. Not sure, what are your thoughts?

Last edited by MightyMardin on Thu May 09, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: WOTR- TIPS TACTICS HELP -DWARF ARMY
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:02 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

First off, welcome :) Enjoy your stay 8) Secondly, can you remove the points cost from the post? Not supposed to post them here and GW can sometimes get funny. Better to be safe than sorry 8)

Onto the list, I would recommend getting both common formations to 6 and then getting another formation of at least 4 companies. A solid core goes a long way in WotR.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would be tempted to suggest testing the water WOTR wise by seeing how many players you are likely to play against locally, before you commit to the vast mortgauge that you will need to buy relatively small units etc. I personally know of of none in Tunbridge Wells since the game came out!(I say none, the staff would be willing to give you a game, but they only ever seemed to have plastic Isenguard and Rohan armies, with no elite troops!) This may not be the case and you may already be beating them off with a stick.

If player numbers of the WOTR are not viable, I would happily suggest that you go down the Strategy Battle Game route, its given me a lot of pleasure over the ten or so years that its been out, and I have always been able to find enough players to game against.
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:21 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I play WOTR and the SBG, I play Dwarves in both (as my main team I have playable forces for every faction).

Get more normal Dwarves (with shields especially) to build your "core" for your army. They are very sturdy even in WOTR where casualties occur at a much more rappid pace.

Get The King's Champion! I know you have the two Ents who are great monster units but the King's Champion is unreal! I have never had him slain in battle and in one game I had him kill an Ent, Mordor Troll Chieftain, Sauron, and about 50% of all the enemies on the battle field (it was a 3 way fight Elves, Dwarves, Mordor/Angmar).
(Side note: Sauron wasn't officially part of the battle the King's Champion had just killed everything so we threw Sauron at him after the battle was over, with the King's Champion without his might and all that he had expended in the battle, just to see if he could overcome even that. He did.)

Also I'd recommend Vault Wardens, super useful Dwarves no matter which version of the game you are playing and in WOTR they are Pikemen which are, in my opinion, essential as a Dwarven player as you have no Cav units.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:27 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the replys! As most of you have said to work on making bigger formations of warriors with 4-6 companies in I will work on doing that. I also like the idea of a kings champion, might try and convert a warhammer dwarf hero I have. Are dwarf archers worth having or should I get rid of them and use the points to go for some rangers with bows or even drars hunters?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'd say 6 companies in a formation is FAR too big for Dwarves - 2 formations of 3 is much better for them: they can take and dish out the hits, it's as many companies and you have more flexibility.

I'd say Drar's Hunters are worth it (Ambushers and the Defence bonus of terrain, plus being in range of the enemies early), but ally in Archers of Minas Tirith (still a decent defence, better range and cheaper to boot).
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:07 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I will try out having 3c and 6c to see which works best for me, really like the idea of drars hunters, I can be able to pepper volleys of arrows while being in defensible terrain. I would rather keep my army more dwarf thed but if I need the extra range/archers u will take having AoMt into consideration, thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:12 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Khazad Guards are the best. Combine them with Gimli (epic Rampage) and watch as they spread a smear of opponents all over the board.

Vault Wardens, not so much, We Stand Alone + no captain means they can't At the Double, which means they'll always be late to any fight that isn't in your deployment zone (and they aren't going to be, because your enemy is going to have the mastery in ranged combat for sure).

:puppy: