All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:13 pm

Post subject: How to use an Elven army?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:36 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

[I guess this should be in the tactical discussion bord.. sorry didn't read it all the way trough]

Hi guys,

Since the start of LOTR GW i've been using High Elves. with SBG it's hard to make good use of them but not as impossible as in WOTR.
Do any of you have some experience?

the only way you can benefit from the elves special rules is to use their advantage in moving swiftly is when your opponent can't. Take Goblins for example. They can also move 8" and have the pathfinder(master) rule. If you use Durburz (only 70p!! and you'll have the inspiring leader rule) Terror doesn't really matter.. Same for fighting Isenguard --> Saruman/Lurtz and with Fallen Realms --> Amur/Suladan
With an elven army you're always hopelessly outnumbered and have a terrible low defence..

This is my range of models but I can't really get a good army out of it without spending 2k worth of points.. Does anyone of you have some advice for me when I want yo play a battle of 1k or 1,5k???

Heroes & command:
Gilgalad
Elrond
Galadriel lady of lorien
Glorfindel
Gildor
Haldir
Legolas
2 x captains
1 banner

Warriors:
2xCompany High Elf Cohort
4xCompany High Elf Regiment
4xCompany High Elf Archer Regiment
4xCompany Wood elves
3xCompany Galadrhim Knights (omg they die way to easily!)

the only way I can make a reasonably force is to ally my High Elves with Men of Numenor( I have about six companies)

The main question is .. How to use Elves??

Last edited by Lorindol on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: How to use an Elven army?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Whenever I use elves I find myself having to resort to less acceptable tactics. I only ever play 200 points, in which I field gandalf, galadriel and gil-galad. I use gandalf and galadriel to have an everlasting supply of might using councellor, they give this to gil-galad when possible through councellor/epic renew. Also gandalf uses his blinding light on the formation gil-galad will charge. Make sure you charge a unit with a hero in, and always go second in priority so you can make this possible. Use gil-galad to duel the hero and kill off most of the formation in the prosses, then mop the rest up using the +2 bonus for hits.

If anyone has any better ways of playing elves I would also like to know.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You're right in using Gandalf or Galadriel! I used her recently to boost up Gil-Galad when fighting a Balrog. It's just that I lost them both when the company was depleted(company half strength) before I could kill it. Quite a bummer..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:07 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Looking at what you have it looks like you need more of a core fighting force and then some 'special' units to compliment them. I'd try and get 6 companys of HE regiments, archers and the woodelves. Maybe upgrade the cohort to the legendary formation with erestor. Also if you can, give the wood elves bows so they can shoot from far away and make the most of their enchanted cloaks.
If defence is your main issue than it's ally in 1 formation (6+ companies) of something like WoMT (something that have def 5(7)) to stand in front of your elves as you advance.
Finally, legolas makes short work of large monster. His crippling shot is ridiclous if you have the bows to back it up. At R1 and D7 the balrog would soon fall without having to charge him and sacrifice gil-galad and his unit.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If I were you, I'd let go of High Elves (Regiments for sure, if possible archers as well), and go Galadhrim as your core force. Then use the High Elves as Cohorts.

If you want to be mean and super-competitive, ally in WoMT.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:13 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Most of what has been said is true except you shouldn't be using Gil-galad at 300 points he is way to expensive to be in a 0-2000 army. I have done an explanation of this in another post, I could copy and paste but I think that might be a bit stupid so I'll do a link instead.

It starts about half way down
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=23547