All times are UTC

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 1:38 pm

Post subject: The veterans
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi guy just wanted your opinion on the osgiliath veterans , I've been thinking about including them in my 1000 point gondor army this is what I've got so far -
6x osgiliath vets
Warriors of Arnor x 6
Warriors of Arnor x 6
Rangers of Arnor x2
Ranger of Arnor x2
Faramir and erkenbrand
That leaves 120 points maybe to use on more foot troops. I usual fight against mordor with a standard 2 wraiths and gothmog or MM with a dragon . What do you think of the first draft?.
 Post subject: Re: The veterans
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi DOCdeath. They are a unit I am still on the fence about.

On the one hand 6x Osgiliath Vets = Isildur/Elphir (or Faramir) + 6x Warriors + 3x Bow/Rangers, which I think has to be better for you overall. On the other, while I've had them fold sometimes, they also won me the odd game by holding terrain and they are another fearless unit (which I presume is part of the thinking with Erkenbrand?). I think they are a good enough unit if you like the idea of them but they suffer heavily from enemy magic.

I think that some of you points, perhaps, need to be in a more top-tier hero like Boromir or Aragorn to give you something that can help you tackle the likes of Dragons or Nazgul.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yer I see what you mean , I need to create an army that can take the hits and the vets seem to fit the profile i.e. def 7 can hit back a bit better strength 4 and also has a few tricks , bows and bold beyond belief. I always suffer big time from magic(SFC etc) I don't think there's much I can do about that though hence the reason for bigger formations.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think they are a unit that benefits best from terrain out of all the Gondor units. They are already high defense, unlikely to be terrorised, can do a couple of WOI, and shoot out, along with a boost vs even number defenses. So I tend to think too large a unit size can work against that. I've also put them in the open and on a flank (in the center just says "kill us, we have the highest pts value per base") in a larger unit size, but there I think I'd prefer to have their points in a cheaper Epic, some Warriors and some Archers - less vulnerable to PoN, more bodies vs SfC and VoW, and multiple units to work flanks/set up countercharges, not to mention provide more spots for Epics to jump to while going a Wraith hunting.

Still, I don't think they are the worst unit that can be taken if all you want is something different and 'jack of all trades'.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:52 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I like Veterans if you plan on playing all archers. Some situations is good for an all archer army but its not an all-round good choice. You won't see Defensive Terrain that can occupy 6 or more companies too often and if they are not all shooting its kinda pointless to put them there. Their shields need to come to use or your shieldless archers will get wasted.
If your enemy has to come at you from raised terrain you can have a second line of archers directly behind your Vets so if they do come that way you can mow them down as your back row can see them. You can lock down that area reliably. The Vets just add security incase they do break thru.
If you have have raised terrain yourself you can double up like this with your Vets on lower ground but you'll need to drag your opponent towards you so you'll need a Treb or two. You could also leave two trebs on the hill and forward your guys as much as possible to avoid any collateral damage.
Vets are also good for Maelstorm of Battle.
Cirion is expensive so I'd even consider using him alone to bulk up your archers.
And when you do add archers, ally in as many Rohan and Hobbit archers as possible since the Vets will be targetted all game letting you get away with cheaper units.
Vets are pretty explensive in a mixed army. Just my opinion.