All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:15 pm

Post subject: Extra Units for WOTR (Warning: HUGE post)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

While reading WOTR I thought some factions really lacked units, and others didn't have units I'd expected them to. So I created this document, with a lot of extra units. The big problem is, I haven't been able to playtest them, as the only place where I can incidentally play a game is a GW store (and somehow I don't think they'd like me turning up with some home-made units), so if any of you would like to give their opinions on it, I'd be most grateful. Everything has a full WOTR entry, and most have a quote as well.

Extra Units WOTR

The Kingdom of Arnor (Gondor &Arnor)
Guards of Annúminas
Rare Formation
One to six companies
35 pts per company

Race Type M F S D A R C Mt
Guards Man Inf 6 6 3 5(7) 8 1 4 -
Guard Commander Man Hero - 7 - - - 2 5 2

Weapons: Each company has heavy armour, hand weapons and shields.

Command: The Guards of Annùminas may take any of the following options at the cost listed:
-Guard Commander – 50 points
-Banner of Kings (Banner Bearer) – 35 points
-Hornblower – 15 points
Men of Bree:

Common Formation

One to nine companies

20 pts per company

Breemen Man Inf 6 2 3 3 8 1 3 -

Weapons: Men of Bree are armed with a chaotic assortment of tools, lumps of wood and crude, home-made spears (hand weapons)

Dúnedain Warriors:
“...The great men towered above the tallest Orcs, and their swords and spears far outreached the weapons of their enemies.”
-The Disaster of the Gladden Fields, The Book of Unfinished Tales

Rare Formation
One to six companies
55 Pts per company

Dúnedain Man Inf 8 5 4 5(7) 8 1 5 -
Dúnedain Captain Man Hero - 6 - - - 2 6 2

Weapons: Each company has spears or swords (hand weapons), heavy armour and shields
Command: Dúnedain Warriors may take any of the following options at the listed cost
-Dúnedain Captain – 50 pts
-Banner of Númenor (Banner Bearer) – 35 pts
- Hornblower – 15 pts

Special Rules: Terror, Orcbane
Heritage of Lost Númenor: All units from Gondor and Arnor gain +1 to their Courage if they are within 12” of a formation of Dúnedain Warriors.

Dúnedain Archers:
“... and kept at a distance from the dreaded steelbows of Númenor, ...”
-The Disaster of the Gladden Fields, The Book of Unfinished Tales

Rare Formation
One to six companies
55 Pts per company

Dúnedain Archers Man Inf 8 5/3+ 4 5 8 1 5 -
Dúnedain Captain Man Hero - 6 - - - 2 6 2
Weapons: Each company has swords, armour and Númenorean steelbows (see below)

Command: Dúnedain Archers may take the following options at the listed cost:
-Dunedain Captain – 50 pts
-Banner of Númenor – 35 pts
-Hornblower – 15 pts

Special Rules: Terror, Orcbane,
Steelbows of Númenor: The legendary bows of Númenor, forged of hollow steel, are far stronger than ordinary bows. These count as longbows, but have strength 3.
Heritage of Lost Númenor: All units from Gondor and Arnor gain +1 to their Courage if they are within 12” of a formation of Dúnedain Archers.
Malbeth the Seer
“Thus spoke Malbeth the Seer in the days of Arvedui, last King at Fornost”
-Aragorn, The Return of the King
Epic Hero
Single Model
You may not include Malbeth in your army if you also choose The Royal Guard of Arnor
110 Pts

basistabel
Malbeth Man Hero - 4 - - - 2 5 2

Magic: Malbeth knows all the spells of command and of dismay. He has a mastery level of 2.
Special Rules: The Gift of Foresight: Every time Malbeth’s formation suffers a hit, roll a D6. On the roll of 6 the hit is discounted.

Arvedui, Last King of Arnor:
“Arvedui you shall call him, for he shall be the last in Arthedain...”
-Malbeth the Seer, Appendix A, The Return of the King
Epic Hero
Single Model
You may not include Arvedui in your army if you also include The Royal Guard of Arnor
150 pts

Arvedui Man Hero - 6 - - - 3 6 3

Epic Actions: Epic Strike
Epic Rampage: If Arvedui calls an Epic Rampage, for each hit his company inflicts on the enemy, they gain another attack. This continues until all the companies attacks miss or the enemy is slain
Special Rules: Touched By Destiny, The Last King: Arvedui has the Inspiring Leader Special rule for all formations from the Kingdom of Arnor army list, and the following units from the WOTR rulebook: Warriors of Arnor, Rangers of Arnor, Numenorean Warriors, Numenorean Archers, Hobbit Militia and Hobbit Archer Militia.
The Elven Kingdoms
Noldor Warriors
“They are a fair folk and wonderful, and they have a power over the hearts of Men...”
-Sador Labadal, The Book of Unfinished Tales
Rare Formation

One to Four Companies

70 Pts per company

Noldor Elf Inf 8 7 4 5(7) 8 1 6 -
Noldor Commander Elf Hero - 8 - - - 2 7 2

Weapons: Noldor Warriors carry Glaives, Shields and Heavy Armour

Command: Any formation of Noldor Warriors may take the following command options at the listed cost: -Noldor Commander 50 pts
-Banner of Valinor (Counts as a Banner Bearer) 35 pts
-Hornblower 15 pts
The Forgotten Kingdoms
The Taming of Sméagol
“You will have to come with us, that’s all, while we keep an eye on you.
But you must help us, if you can.”
-Frodo, The Two Towers, speaking to Gollum
Legendary Formation

One company consisting of Frodo, Sam and Gollum/Sméagol.

75 pts

The Travellers Hobbit inf 8 4 3 5[8] 6 2 6 3

Weapons: The members of The Taming of Sméagol are armed with hand weapons.

Special Rules: Stalwart, Indomitable
Company of Heroes: Each of the members of the Taming of Sméagol contributes a special rule to the formation (Gollum/Sméagol even contributes two). The controlling player may remove members in any order he chooses, but when a model is removed, the associated special rule is lost.
Frodo: There is more to this Hobbit than meets the eye. All the members of the Taming of Sméagol receive +3 to their defence, raising it to 8.
Sam: Master, master! While Sam is alive, all members of The Taming of Sméagol may reroll failed terror tests and rolls to determine the charge distance.
Gollum/Sméagol: At the start of each turn, throw a D6, if the result is a 4+, the Sméagol side has the upper hand and this rule is used for the entire turn: We leads you on safe paths through the mist. The Taming of Sméagol gain the rule Pathfinders (Master). However, if the result is less than a 4, the Gollum side gains control and the following rule is used: Curse them, nasty hobbitses. If the Taming of Sméagol enters combat this turn, Gollum attempts to run away while Frodo and Sam are distracted, and is removed as a casualty.
The Fortress of Isengard
Uruk-Hai Reavers
“...there appeared a company of Orc-men (...), ferocious, mail-clad, and armed with axes.”
-The Battles of the Fords of Isen, The Book of Unfinished Tales.

Common Formation
One to six companies
35 pts per company

Reavers Uruk-Hai Inf 7 4 4 4 8 1 4 0
Reaver Captain Uruk-Hai Hero - 5 - - - 2 5 2

Weapons: Each company has armour, hand weapons and two-handed weapons.

Command: The Uruk-Hai Reavers may take any of the following command options at the listed cost:
-Reaver Captain – 50 pts
-Uruk-Hai Drummer – 15 pts

Isengard Assault Legion
“… and blazoned upon every helm and shield the ghastly
hand of Isengard was seen.”
-The Two Towers
Legendary Formation

One to four Companies

75 pts + 40 pts/company

Uruk-Hai Uruk-Hai Inf 8 4 4 6(8) 8 1 5 -
Uruk Commander Uruk-Hai Hero - 5 - - - 2 6 2

Weapons: Each company in the Isengard Assault Legion has hand weapons, heavy armour and giant shields (defence bonus as usual)
Special Rules: Stalwart, Indomitable
Testudo: If they are in a column a single company wide, the Isengard Assault Legion may form a Testudo. If they choose to do so, they receive -1 to their Move value and -2 to their Defence value, but their defence is now 6 (10) and they do not suffer any casualties from shooting at long range.

Sharkey
“Lotho! He knows all right. Don’t you worry. He’ll do what Sharkey says.”
-Ruffian, The Return of the King
Epic Hero

Single Model
You may not use Sharkey if your army also includes Saruman the White Hand

80 pts

Sharkey Spirit Hero - 3 - - - 2 6 1

Epic Actions: Epic Challenge
Epic Backstab: If any hero wins a Heroic or Epic Duel against Sharkey, the later may call an Epic Backstab, if he does so the enemy hero immediately suffers D3 automatic hits as his defeated foe suddenly draws a knife and attacks him at unawares. Afterwards, proceed with the duel as normal. If the enemy hero is killed, Sharkey does not suffer hits from the duel, but his formation does.
Magic: Sharkey knows all the spells of Dismay. He has a mastery level of two.
Designers note: Sharkey’s diminished magical powers compared to his earlier forms are due to the fact that he has been cast form the Order by Gandalf
Special Rules: The Voice of Saruman: If Sharkey’s formation is ever charged, the charging formation’s owner must roll a D6. If the result is a 3 or less, the charge automatically stalls as Sharkey uses all that is left of his power to weave a net of lies in the heads of his opponents.
Bitter Hatred: If Sharkey’s formation ever fails to charge a formation of Hobbits or a formation containing a Hobbit hero, he may reroll any dice that were responsible for the failure, be that the charge distance roll, a Terror test or anything else.

The Fallen Realms

Haradrim Guard Regiment
“...And the drawing of the scimitars of the Southrons was like a glitter of stars.”
-The Return of the King
Rare Formation
One to six companies
35 pts per company

Guard Troops Man Inf 8 5 4 5(7) 8 1 3 -
Guard Captain Man Hero - 6 - - - 2 - 2
Hasharin Man Hero - 5 - - - 2 - 1

Weapons: The Haradrim Guard wear armour and carry hand weapons and shields.

Command: The Haradrim Guard may take any of the following command options at the listed cost:
Guard Captain – 50 pts
Banner Bearer – 35 pts
Hornblower or Drummer – 15 pts
Hasharin – 50 pts

Angmar
Gundabad Orc Guard
Common Formation

One to nine companies

30 Pts per company

Gundabad Orcs Orc Inf 6 2 4 4(6) 8 1 2 -
Gundabad Chieftain Orc Hero - 3 - - - 2 3 2

Weapons: The Gundabad Orc Guard carries crooked blades (Hand Weapons) and shields. The entire formation may exchange its shields for two-handed weapons, lowering its defence to 4 for no additional cost.

Command: The formation may take any of the following Command options:
-Gundabad Chieftain
-Banner Bearer
-Orc Drummer
-Orc Taskmaster

Special Rules: Mob Rule. Supporting companies of Orcs grant +2 dice in close combat.

Firnhîr, The Last Prince of Rhudaur
“Then a grip stronger and colder then iron seized him. The icy touch froze his bones...”
-The Fellowship of the Ring

Epic Hero

Single Model

165 pts

Firnhîr Spirit Hero - 7 - - - 3 4 3

Epic Actions: Epic Rage
Epic Strike
Epic Challenge
Special Rules: Terror, Inspiring Leader (Spirits), Spirit Grasp, Spirit Walk
Lord of the Dead: Even if they have the We Stand Alone special rule, Firnhîr may join any Angmar formation that consists of Spirits. However, he is so terrifying that only Spirit formations may use his courage.

Artund, King of Rhudaur
“... And power had been seized by an evil lord of the Hillmen, who was in secret league with Angmar”
-Appendix A, The Return of the King
Epic Hero
Single model
100 pts

Artund Man Hero - 4 - - - 2 4 2

Epic Actions: Epic Rage
Epic Challenge

EDIT: I just can't seem to get the tables right, sorry :oops:

:puppy:
 Post subject: Re: Extra Units for WOTR (Warning: HUGE post)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:21 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Cool but i think there are already such things as dundeling warriors, anyways good to see some 1 thinking about this kind of stuff. My issues isn that some races havent enough choices, my issue is that i dont think they wrote some of the entries very appropiatly. I love the tower guard and citadel guard miniatures, but they realy arent worth there points they have no special rules and their stats aren that impressive, (id prefer to spam WoMT with better defence and less points) id thought that being elite guards of the citidel and tower that they have some interesting special rules and or warrgear, thats my my issue.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

IM A ENT!!! wrote:
Cool but i think there are already such things as dundeling warriors

Eh, there aren't any Dunlendings in there. There is a Hillmen Chief for Angmar and a Men of Bree unit for Arnor, but nothing else that even comes close.

IM A ENT!!! wrote:
My issues isn that some races havent enough choices, my issue is that i dont think they wrote some of the entries very appropiatly.

Well, there are some exellent Houserules on the site :D . (Xelee's (http://roughwotr.blogspot.com/2011/11/war-of-rings-houserules-2011-edition-i.html) look especially good)

IM A ENT!!! wrote:
I love the tower guard and citadel guard miniatures, but they realy arent worth there points they have no special rules and their stats aren that impressive, (id prefer to spam WoMT with better defence and less points) id thought that being elite guards of the citidel and tower that they have some interesting special rules and or warrgear, thats my my issue.

Well, then you take a few of both! :P I don't think Citadel/Fountain Guards and WOMT are the worst problem of the game :), just suppose your opponent isn't going to use Khamul, Betrayer, Dwimmerlaik, Gothmog in Gorgoroth Horde as his army, and you should be fine .

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ops once again i have been reading too fast, and made a mistake, im looking at the house rules now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:53 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quite a few of them aren't needed, including Dunedain archers, Noldor, uruk reavers and gundabad orcs.

What you could do though is; Duskwraith, Golfimbul, Elf Chariot, Elf catapult, Corsair Reavers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Quite a few of them aren't needed, including Dunedain archers, Noldor, uruk reavers and gundabad orcs.

What you could do though is; Duskwraith, Golfimbul, Elf Chariot, Elf catapult, Corsair Reavers.

The Dunedain are just there to make Arnor into the full faction it should be, instead of a red-headed stepchild to Gondor. The Noldor and Uruk Reavers are just there for theme reasons (and because I personally think they'd be really badass :) ), and the Gundabad Orcs give Angmar another reliable more "elitish" unit, besides the Carn Dum Barbarians.

What is a Duskwraith? I can't seem to remember anything about them in the books and movies (not a fan of making up your own things when you have such a huge wealth of possibilities made for you)
Golfimbul and the Reavers seem like a good idea, will definately do these in the future, but I can't really see elves in a Catapult or a chariot, and don't really see why you'd want to have them either.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:11 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

A Duskwraith was a model converted from a Twilight Ringwraith that used one of the old unofficial rule published in older issues of WD, many of which later became official ones, and the Duskwraith isn't one of the ones they stuck with (I think it was replaced by Shades).

What about Dunland Bezerkers, Azog, Easterling Dragon Guard, . (I really dislike the Uruk reavers, and am not keen on Dunedain archers/Noldor/Gundabads [especially the latter since GW already decided that Orcs from Gundabad go in the MM list, not Angmar, even though i personally disagree with them). The reasoning behind Elves in chariots/catapults is because of the Siege of Gondolin.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Here are the Corsairs and Golfimbul.

Golfimbul, King of Mount Gram
Epic Hero
Single Model
110 pts

Golfimbul Goblin Hero - 6 - - - 3 4 3

Special Rules: Hobbitbane,
King of Mount Gram: Golfimbul has the Inspiring Leader special Rule, but only Moria Goblin Warbands and Goblin Prowler Warbands, and Warg Rider Warbands may benefit from it.

The Fallen Realms
Corsair Reaver Party
Rare Formation
One to four companies
35 pts

Corsair Reavers Man Inf 8 4 4 5 8 1 5 -
Corsair Captain Man Hero - 5 - - - 2 6 2
Corsair Bo’sun Man Hero - 4 - - - 1 5 1

Weapons: The Reavers carry hand weapons

Command: The Reavers may take the following command options at the listed cost: -Corsair Captain - 50 pts
-Corsair Bo'sun - 50 pts

Special Rules: Berserk, Indomitable

I see about the Duskwraith now, but I don't really see in which list he would go, and I don't really like the idea either. I'll probably leave him for someone else. The Reavers are to represent the company of Uruks who slew Theodred and nearly won the First Battle of the Fords of Isen. If you don't want, you could alway not use them... Also I don't quite see why I should listen to GW's silly decisions on the Gundabads :) . You could call them "Orc Guard of Carn Dum" or something like that though. Might have to consider changing the name.

Easterling Dragon Guard and Azog are both good idea's, but I fail to see what the plus of Dunland Berserkers would be. They aren't mentioned anywhere (though I can easily see them, so if they were any good game-wise I'd make them), and the normal Huscarls with 2HW are quite berserky in and of themselves (not to mention Ferals and Uruk berserkers), so I can't think of a real niche for them to fill. Are there catapults and chariots in the Siege of Gondolin? Just re-read the Silmarillion (crappy translation though) and didn't notice them.

Last edited by Telchar on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:53 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I think the Corair Reavers and Golfimbul are well executed and i kind of see a point to some of them, although 'the company of Uruks who slew Theodred and nearly won the First Battle of the Fords of Isen' would be the Feral Uruk-hai, there's no need to give them a unit they already have, its pointless. The Duskwraith would of course be part of the Angmar army, I have already made a WOTR profile for them if you want to see it. If like me you think Gundabads should be in Angmar, why not just say, the Blackshields are no longer considered part of the MM list and count as Angmar instead, that would also reduce the cheesyness of certain MM lists whilst giving Angmar something to compliment the seriosly overcosted Spirits. The Dunland Bezerkers aren't necessary, just interesting. About Gondolin, probably not Chariots though i'm not 100% sure,but the elves did have catapults. Sorry if the length of my reply begins to bore you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It would be nice if there was an Eridor/Arnor faction. If any of you played Third Age: Total War, their Eriador faction had some nice units. So I like the idea of The Guards of Anuminas. Would also be nice if there were woodsmen, huntsmen, merchant guards, Eriador militia men-at-arms. I think maybe it's the Perry bros that has some nice medieval miniatures that can fill the role quite nicely.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:23 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Here's the Perry bros. website:
http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index.php?cPath=23

Only problem is that I don't know what size their miniatures are and I can't seem to find any info on it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

@ gothmog. If I may be a awful LOTR nerd at you: [quote:]... there appeared a company of men or Orc-men (evidently dispached for this purpose), ferocious, mail-clad, and armed with axes... [/quote]

That doesn't quite fit in with the feral Uruk models (no mail and axes), and rules (no axes), though at a pinch (i.e. in a G.W. environment) I'd indeed use the Feral Uruk rules for them (and I'm going to)

@ Sacrilege. I play TA TW, just not Eriador. Must capture bloody Foldburg with my Isengard first, but the Rohirrim keep getting free armies :-X ... anyway, I digress. But I'd agree that it'd probably be awesome. I believe I read on a blog the were 28 mm, but I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:51 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The Half-Orcs or 'Orc Men' are what the film replaced with the idea that uruks were created from orcs and goblins. As said, the Feral Uruk-hai count for that, and there is abosutley no point to give an army two troop types which do the exact same job and are pretty much the same, its like having Morannon Orcs and Gundabad Blackshields in the same army.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The Half-Orcs or 'Orc Men' are what the film replaced with the idea that uruks were created from orcs and goblins. As said, the Feral Uruk-hai count for that, and there is abosutley no point to give an army two troop types which do the exact same job and are pretty much the same, its like having Morannon Orcs and Gundabad Blackshields in the same army.

Well, my point isn't the Orc-men part, but the ferocious, mailclad, and armed with axes part. Ferals are ferocious, but they're not mail-clad or armed with axes (not to mention incredibly ugly, but that can be remedied), and in that case, Berserker, Wildmen and Dunlendings also do the same thing (hit hard and die fast), as does nearly all cavalry, and a lot of other units, so I'd say that's a bit of a moot point.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:00 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

My point is that it does not matter what they are armed with or there would be a lot of other new units, dwarves with swords, haradrim with shields, (rohirrim with lances), easterlings with axes, beards and chariots (not Khandish!), mordor uruk-hai w clubs and shields (in WOTR), etc.

What matters is that they are represented, there is no need to re-represent them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My point is that it does not matter what they are armed with or there would be a lot of other new units, dwarves with swords, haradrim with shields, (rohirrim with lances), easterlings with axes, beards and chariots (not Khandish!), mordor uruk-hai w clubs and shields (in WOTR), etc.

There should be :-D (haradrim with shields are my Haradrim Guard, Rohirrim with lances are called Royal Knights, Easterlings I might make in the future, dwarves with swords wouln't have a different profile from the normal Dwarf Warriors, so that would just need some conversions. Actually, I have made one, after his axe snapped off, and I only had swords as replacement.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:09 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I see lol. Do what you want, and make sure you show us some pics of your work.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

As soon as I find out how to take proper pictures, I will :) .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

wow, now that was a huge load of units and all really well thought out.
congratulations Telchar!!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks