All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:35 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Artillery, Ranged and Fallback?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:29 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

A couple questions I have since I am considering adding full formations of artillery which may change my mind on having more than 1 company per formation.

1. Artillery that falls back is considered destroyed. Now I can see that if they lost a fight how it describes it gets stomped on but how about from losing a company from Ranged attacks, Damage Spells or by force of Balefire arrows or Wilderness spell Call Winds?

And a couple questions on ranged units, if anyone has discussed this or if I missed a rule somewhere?

2. A formation may not shoot if moved more than half. Crossbows if they move at all cannot shoot. Same as above. Does fallback add to the amount moved for the formation?

3. A formation may not shoot if moved more than half. So say they are in difficult terrain and they can normally move 6". They move 3". Can they still shoot or is that move reduced to 1.5" to be able to shoot?

4. Just a general question. Does Fallback consider difficult terrain? You see the trend here.

Thanks for your help guys!

Post subject: Re: Artillery, Ranged and Fallback?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:00 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I can see no one answering #1, its a bit tricky when your talking about an expensive formation getting destroyed so easily. I'm just going to make rule here and say they only fall back from losing a fight.

I found the answers to 2, 3 and 4

#2 No, it does not because its a movement penalty not a maximum move.

#3 No again. I had to find this rule backtracking to SBG and it is specific that movement is further halved. Says nothing about an enemy within 6" although in SBG they cannot fire because they are considered to be in melee. I probably would go with the same 1/4 movement to fire in WoTR.

#4 No. Its full distance for fallback, no movement penalty whatsoever.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:02 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'll answer #1, or rather, the official faq will:

Quote:
Q. Can artillery be driven back by shooting?
A. No. Artillery cannot move, once deployed, and
therefore cannot be driven back and must stay in place if
defeated in combat.

That explicitly rules out everything on that list except, arguably, 'call winds'. Since it states the reason for it is that artillery cannot move, that would rule out being moved by 'call winds' as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:01 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks. I actually never read the FAQ till now. Solves some problems I've been having although I'm sad but not surprised the Army of Dead is 60pts per company. :(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:04 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Quote:
2. A formation may not shoot if moved more than half. Crossbows if they move at all cannot shoot. Same as above. Does fallback add to the amount moved for the formation?

you can only fall back if you are disordered, and disordered formations cannot shoot so why you are asking this is beyond me

Quote:
3. A formation may not shoot if moved more than half. So say they are in difficult terrain and they can normally move 6". They move 3". Can they still shoot or is that move reduced to 1.5" to be able to shoot?

If you play it exactly to the wording of the rules, they can still shoot if they move 3" in your example they can still shoot (you can only shoot if you have move half your move value or less and the move value remains 6 because difficult terrain doesn't halve the move value). but using common sense it is obvious that the reason for the moving half rule is to represent the archers drawing there arrows and putting them in the bow (getting ready to shoot). The amount of time this takes would not change according to what type of ground they are standing upon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:39 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I got 2 years of experience since I asked these question but thanks for the help. 8) Hopefully they helped others new to the game.

2. Fall back from a shooting attack. (1" per company destroyed)
3. Need half of alotted movement to draw an arrow and fire so its common sense.

At the time I was playing 6c of Osgiliath Vets surrounded by Minas Tirith Archers and a couple siege bows. Slow up your enemy. prevent charges, try to hit side armor, rolling all those dice... so much fun. And then charging the Vets instead of shooting is kinda funny to get off an unexpected Herioc Fight. Not the strongest of lists but it is fun trying to make it work. I was thinking of adding Dwarf Archers instead for that strong shooting line but I never got so far.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Warbo wrote:
Quote:

you can only fall back if you are disordered, and disordered formations cannot shoot so why you are asking this is beyond me

Quote:

If you play it exactly to the wording of the rules, they can still shoot if they move 3" in your example they can still shoot (you can only shoot if you have move half your move value or less and the move value remains 6 because difficult terrain doesn't halve the move value). but using common sense it is obvious that the reason for the moving half rule is to represent the archers drawing there arrows and putting them in the bow (getting ready to shoot). The amount of time this takes would not change according to what type of ground they are standing upon.

Refer to the other thread to see why I disagree.

:puppy:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:54 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Don't worry you have the right to your own incorrect opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:08 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This is getting ridiculous and is about the 4th thread i've locked for pointless revival of old threads other than for you two to argue.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]