All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:06 am

Post subject: Can artillery move ?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:18 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I am only asking as I want to be able to pivot my trebuchet to get the enemy into my line of sight.

Last edited by Keithandor on Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:39 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Artillery cannot move after being deployed - they're too heavy.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:31 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Location: Peterborough/Sheffield (Depends on the Time of Year!)
A nice trick is to deploy it in Defensible Terrain at the start of the game. Then it has 360 degree view. You can only do this if there is a Defenisble Terrain feature in your deployment zone though.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

... which is yet another huge oversight/loophole in the rules, scince when would artillery be deployed in a wood let alone allow it 360' fire.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:40 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Can you really deploy in defensible terrain? :?
(just reading the rules for occupying them, it feels like occupying them is something that is done in the game as opposed to during deployment)

The drawback would be that you can only fire with half of the companies (rest supporting) - but that doesn't affect if it's only a single artillery company occupying it. :roll:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:39 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Top right hand side of page 79 says:

'Regardless of the scenario, a formation may only deploy in a defensible terrain feature it the feature lies completely withint the deployment zone.'

So yes you can deploy in defensible terrain.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:55 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ahh. :oops:

Thanks for the info. 8)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:16 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

My Trebuchet has a fairly narrow frontage , I think it's 80mm wide by 120mm , so does it have a very narrow line of sight ?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:09 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Unfortunately narrower than most. The way it works is that it can only shoot at things in its 'front arc'.
Imagine joining opposite corners up across the diagonals and then extending these lines out away from the base. The front arc is the area in front of the Trebuchet between the two front lines, and there are also two side arcs and the rear arc. There is a clear diagram on page 25 of the rulebook.

There is one way round it though. The base sizes given are minimums. This means you can put it on a base larger than stated if you wish. So you could make the Trebuchet base wider but keep it at the minimum length (or depth whichever way you look at it). This would then give you a wider front arc.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:27 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I don't think artillery can occupy defensible terrain, the page and rule quoted above is in the senerio section and is very general. page 52 says that a formation may enter a defensible terrain feature at the end of its move phase, since artillery can't move it could not occupy terrain. This just seems like common sense deal to me, artillery in the forest this is doesn't make good sense. This seems like a definate exploit of the rules to me. A way to give artillery more arc of site like it needs to be anymore deadly.

Sildien

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:51 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Surely artillery should be able to pivot though to draw line of sight ?
The narrow arc and limited line of sight will see my poor Trebuchet resigned to the display cabinet :roll:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:56 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I don't think so moving is moving, turning is moving is all about the set up, and there is no reason you can't have a larger base to increase you arc of site. This has been discussed before and if I remember right the feeling was it can't move.

Sildien

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:47 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Keithandor wrote:
Surely artillery should be able to pivot though to draw line of sight ?
The narrow arc and limited line of sight will see my poor Trebuchet resigned to the display cabinet :roll:

Thats what the arc of sight represents or the machines would just fire dead ahead. It's daft that wheeled or the small bolt thrower types can't move though.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:49 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sildien wrote:
I don't think artillery can occupy defensible terrain, the page and rule quoted above is in the senerio section and is very general. page 52 says that a formation may enter a defensible terrain feature at the end of its move phase, since artillery can't move it could not occupy terrain. This just seems like common sense deal to me, artillery in the forest this is doesn't make good sense. This seems like a definate exploit of the rules to me. A way to give artillery more arc of site like it needs to be anymore deadly.

Sildien

The rules do allow you to deploy in terrain though as long as the terrain is wholley in your deployment zone. Otherwise I agree with uou.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Keithio the Green wrote:
Unfortunately narrower than most. The way it works is that it can only shoot at things in its 'front arc'.
Imagine joining opposite corners up across the diagonals and then extending these lines out away from the base. The front arc is the area in front of the Trebuchet between the two front lines, and there are also two side arcs and the rear arc. There is a clear diagram on page 25 of the rulebook.

There is one way round it though. The base sizes given are minimums. This means you can put it on a base larger than stated if you wish. So you could make the Trebuchet base wider but keep it at the minimum length (or depth whichever way you look at it). This would then give you a wider front arc.

I agree, the arcs are measured through corners, so by making the front wider, you have a wider arc of fire...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The non pivoting of artillery is probably one of the only quibbles i have with the WotR rules. Some of the artillery pieces were obviously designed to be manuverable in SBG. Some are obviously not.

The battlecry trebuchet is one of the main pieces that should NOT be allowed to pivot because it's a huge thing. But look at things like the Avenger Bolt Thrower and the Dwarf Ballista, those things are just about man sized or a little smaller. They should be pivotable. I don't have any of the evil army artillery pictures handy so I can't see if any of them are WHEELED but wheeled machines should be at least able to pivot.