All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:05 am

Post subject: 1200 points of Mordor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:39 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I want to have a go using Mordor , here is what I have come up with using what figures I have.

What do you think ?
The hitting power is Shelob and the Troll so they will work together.
The Pike will be helped by the orcs and heroes.

Mordor 1200 points

The Dark Marshal
The Shadow Lord
Gothmog

2 co of Mordor orcs with bows
5 co of Mordor orcs with Banner , captain and shields
4 co of Uruk Pikemen with captain
3 co of warg riders with shields
1 Morodor Troll
Shelob
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:39 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

First off, ringwraiths are absolutely fantastic, but you could probably make better choices. Dark Marshal and Shadow Lord are both alright, but I think that Khamul, Tainted, and Betrayer are easily the three best ringwraiths. Dwimmerlaik would also be a good option, and if you run across a decent amount of spellcasting, the Undying would be good.

Second, Mordor orcs with shields is definitely not the way to use them. For the exact same point cost you can get morannon orcs without shields and have the same defense but with one more strength. Mordor orcs with two handed weapons would be a better choice if you don't have the morannon models.

I would be interested in hearing how the Uruk-hai allies do. I hadn't really considered using pikemen in my force before but they could do fairly well.

I'm not too sure if you will see much come from such a small formation of riders, especially with no captain. But it is a fairly cheap formation that might do some damage if it gets a good charge off. I just don't know how likely that is of happening.

As for the troll and shelob, I try to shy away from Hard to Kill, as it really isn't hard to kill whatsoever. Small formation of archers with a captain can get a very easy kill by shooting a couple of might-stamped arrows into you. That being said, I have seen some mild success using Shelob in a couple of games, but both times she came incredibly close to death before accomplishing anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:46 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ok thanks
I don't have any other Orcs , but do you really think the 2 handed weapons are worth it rather than the shields ? I don't have any experience with 2 haded weapons so might give it a go.
The orcs seem to die easily anyway.

I like the Shadow lord as I think shooting is quite effective in this game and he could keep the Pike unit intact until combat.

I might swap the other guy to The tainted, he might be good if I keep him near the Troll so the Terror might have some good effect ?

Do you use any of the warmachines ?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:47 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

2-handed weapons are definitely the best way to run mordor orcs. No doubt in my mind at all. If you want an anvil unit then you should pick up some morannons. Two boxes will give you six companies worth of shielded morannon orcs.

The Tainted is very effective and helps terror causers quite a bit. Don't forget that the company that a ringwraith is in will also cause terror, so you will have four terror causers on the field, assuming the ringwraiths are in different formations.

I don't use the warmachines yet. I might add siege bows later, but I really don't feel that the trebuchets are worth their points cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:19 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ok I have gone for the Tainted and Khamul.
I think if Khamul is with the Orcs and , the only time I used Orcs they died like dogs , so hopefully I can redirect those hits back onto the enemy formation doing the damage :)

I'll use the Uruk Pikes as my anvil unit , I don't have any morannon orcs :(

I'll let you know how it goes :twisted:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:22 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Khamul with the 2 handed orcs should work wonders. It is probably my favorite unit to field. Make sure to use Wings of Terror to get right into the face of your opponent with them. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

id swap on of the ringwraiths for khamul, he can keep your biggest group of orcs alive