All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:52 pm

Post subject: Gondor - need advice
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:01 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi all
got enough figures for a Gondor Army now so in 1200 points I'd take the following , going on what figures I have.
thinking Aragorn or Boromir maybe both ?
6 companies of Warriors
3 companies of Archers
6 companies of Knights
Trebuchet ?
Bolthrower ?
2 companies of Rangers of Ithilien

Any advice ?
Gandallf ?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:41 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I assume you are talking about Minas Tirith warriors/archers etc.

I would personnaly take Boromir over Aragorn. Will save you a few points and you will then have a hero that is just downright unfair in a duel. I am also not too keen on trebuchets. Double the point cost of boltthrowers without doubling effectiveness. I would definitely grab bolthrowers before I would even consider trebuchets. And Gandalf would definitely be a good choice, you would do good to have that spellcasting available.

I would also recommend looking into picking up some Knights of Dol Amroth. Those are some very scary cavalry to lay down on the field.

EDIT: Looking at what you have again, assuming minas tirith and assuming you put a captain into each of those formations you should be able to get some bolt throwers and at least 2 of those heros into your list. Maybe when you expand to 1500 you can pick up some Knights of Dol Amroth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:18 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yes Minas Tirith Warriors.
Thats all I have no fancy Knights or anything.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:33 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Not a bad list. Honestly I would have to disagree about taking Boromir over Aragorn. If you can take both then right on, but if you can only afford one then I think Aragorn is the way to go. He may be 2 might less then Boromir at the start, but he gets a free might every turn. Even when he's used all of his might he'll be able to still call one action per turn because of this. Second he has Epic Duel and Strike just like Boromir so he's just as dangerous in a duel. Third is his sword which adds +2 to his companies to hit rolls o_O Makes him incredibly dangerous in straight up fights. Last is Epic Journey. He can pop up anywhere on the field and then go crazy in the next turn. All in all I think it makes him worth the extra 25 points. If you can afford him I say do it. Gandalf paired with either one of those Heros is a pretty solid choice too (even if he is really expensive) Touched by Destiny and Epic Renewal can keep a fighting hero going indefinitely.
Something you might consider also is instead of taking Minas Tirith Archers and Rangers you could roll the points into one pool and go for the Grey Company or Blackroot Vale Archers. With your set up you get two more companies then you would have with Blackroot Vale or the Grey Company (not sure if you're using captains or not) If you went with Grey Company for example you'd only have 3 companies, but they're much higher quality. (Better accuracy/ fight, same Defense, better strength, 2" more movement and Master Pathfinders, Indomitable, Longbows, and fight at the same time as Cavalry)
I've fought Bairchoro when he had basically the same set up you do (3 companies of Archers and 3 companies of Rangers) In the end they just don't have quite enough oomph to make them dangerous. They usually have kind of a hard time with Trolls and such. On the plus side though it would probably work good if you had hordes of poorly armored targets to shoot at like goblins or something.
As far as the siege stuff is concerned don't write off the Trebuchet to quickly. It may be twice as expensive as the Bolt Thrower but you'll get quite a bit more use out of it. Bolt thrower has a 2 foot range while the Trebuchet has a 6 foot range o_O You'll be able to start shooting in the first couple of rounds whereas if you use Bolt Throwers the enemy might just avoid them altogether (assuming you don't just sit by your siege engines and wait for him to come all the way across the board to you)
Like Illithid said though if you can, try to grab some Knights of Dol Amroth at some point. One of the best melee cavalry you can get imo.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I play regular with gondor and tried almost all of the formations Boromir is a nice hero to take but in my experience he works better with other epic heros as he is very vurnerable to black darts cause this brings his might stock very fast down. Aragorn works better as a leader of his own cause his free might each and +2 to wound realls pays of his points.

Trebuchets are very good at killing formations of elite warriors but they do not mak e worth their points only if the enemy haves a mumak.

I should buy some elite warriors I know this is expensive cause their metal but I should really take skoda they are very, very strong in wotr. Another good option is the court of the dead king with a move of 24'' on a 4+ and spirit walk they are great to attack formation in the flank ore even rear.

The ultimate gondor formation is the grey company they have longbows and have a shooting value of 3+. They have strength 4 and attack the same time as calvary every infantry formation must fear them. I use plastic rangers as grey comapny cause most tournaments allow me to do that.I most play with this army:

Aragorn
Gandalf
Imrahil
Grey company 5comapnys
court of the dead king 3companys
skoda 3companys +banner
womt 6companys+banner+hornblower
trebuchet
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:04 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ok thanks
I will take Aragorn and Gandalf as my heroes.

6 companies of Minis Tirith Warriors with all the command and captain.
3 Companies of Minis Tirith archers
6 companies of Knights will all the command and captain.
1 trebuchet
1 bolt thrower.

Thats for 1200 points.
If I go to 1500 I'll add the rangers.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I should drop the capatin from the warriors cause they wil include aragorn ore gandalf ore both. If you give with that 50 points a captain to your archers you can use might for the hard to kill table wich is very nice with archers.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:05 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ok thanks , good idea.
Can a Hero join the bolthrower or trebuchet crew ? If so can they use might to help in any way ?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:12 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I was thinking about that myself. It doesn't give you an option to take a captain for the siege engine itself, but I imagine you could put an Epic Hero in there. As long as there is more crew then hero's I think you could. Not looking at the rulebook atm, but I don't remember there being anything that says you can't. :-D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:22 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

You might roll a 5 with the Trebuchet , expend 2 points of might to change it to a 7 ? Can you do that ? Devastation ! 2d6+4 S10 hits !
Take that Nazgul!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:13 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Seems fine to me. If you weren't allowed to put an Epic Hero in there they would say the siege crew have "We Stand Alone". You would have more normal troops then heros too so you don't have to worry about that either. Even with only one siege engine (can be up to three companies if I remember right) So yeah I think that's legit. Just have to make sure you don't have your hero in there if it looks like you're going to be overrun in melee.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:13 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Keithandor wrote:
You might roll a 5 with the Trebuchet , expend 2 points of might to change it to a 7 ? Can you do that ? Devastation ! 2d6+4 S10 hits !
Take that Nazgul!

Except might can not alter a roll past its maximum. So if you don't have any bonuses to the roll the highest might could bring it would be to a 6.

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently rolls on tables can be modified past 6...weird, I wonder what the point of the maximum of 6 is then...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:47 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well I imagine taking it past 6 is only for the normal artillery table since it has an effect for 7+, with the exception of Very Hard to Kill! because you would technically need a 7 to kill the monster outright. All the other tables (including the tables for artillery such as Bolt Throwers and Ballistas) just have effects for a max of 6 so it would be dumb to spend the extra might.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:00 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

There is no option or purchase ability of a command company with artillery and it says that the heros must join the command company. In my area we don't think heros may join artillery. Just for this reason they would be very overpowered.

Sildien

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:23 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

You're probably right, and can't have an Epic Hero join a formation without a command company, and I would agree that yes it would make siege a very deadly addition.
There are a couple of things I would like to point out though. I see where it says under Epic Heros that they should join the command company, however it does not say must. It also says in the same section that the hero can join another company close to the front as well if the command company is full. If it's ok to join a company in the back because the front is full why wouldn't he be able to join the front company in a formation without a command?
Another thing that wouldn't make sense is why have the We Stand Alone rule if you already have a formation that can't take a command company? Good example might be Castellans of Dol Guldur or Vault Wardens. They don't have a command, but then it also says We Stand Alone. If a hero can't join them because they have no command then isn't it kind of redundant to include the We Stand Alone rule? Why have the rule at all if all you have to do is not include a command in the profile?
Last is if you're right then that means the evil factions kind of get the shaft. As far as I know the evil side is the only one that has formations that can't take commands, but also don't have the We Stand Alone rule. So things like Morgul Stalkers, Feral Uruks, and Watchers are just SoL. Seems kind of suckish if like me you play Isengard 5 out of 9 Rares (not including single models like trolls and the battering ram) can't have any sort of hero with them, but don't have We Stand Alone. :sad:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:29 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

they can't have command models, but do have a command company

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:21 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

How do they have a command company it doesn't list one!

Sildien

Post subject: Re: Gondor - need advice
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:54 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Keithandor wrote:
Hi all
got enough figures for a Gondor Army now so in 1200 points I'd take the following , going on what figures I have.
thinking Aragorn or Boromir maybe both ?
6 companies of Warriors
3 companies of Archers
6 companies of Knights
Trebuchet ?
Bolthrower ?
2 companies of Rangers of Ithilien

Any advice ?
Gandallf ?

gondor is the best,i think.good set.I have just knight and warriors of minas tirith.I want citadel guards or banner bearer.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:29 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

On page 60, "Command Companies", it says "The command company is the first company in a formation..."

Uruk-hai Berserkers only have one company, which would be the command company since it's the first (and last) in the formation?

It does seem a bit powerful to adjust the artillery table (esp. 7 and above), but I'm not sure it's more powerful than some epic actions for the same might cost. :roll: