Craftsman

Has anyone made their own trays?

Do you have any tips or tutorials?

God I hate when things go OOP.

Post subject: Re: Making your own movement trays
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I have made too many. Cut the correct size of the tray from Foam Core Board 1/4". You can do this for both Cav and Infantry (I will upload pics tomorrow to show them and the step by step I have). Then trace the base outer diameter where you want the models to sit on the rectangle. Now you want to score the first layer of card on the foam core or paper layer, cut the circles. Then use your finger to dig it out and leave the bottom paper/card layer intact. You will want to check fit and may need to go a little over size. After this you can base it as you would normally. You can dress up the edges with some card stock as well to make it neat.

This is the only pic I have loaded at the moment, but I have more on my computer at home and can upload them, I also have some un based foamcore trays that I can show. But this shows what these look like. Very easy and super cheap to make.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:35 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I buy laser cut MDF ones from eBay. Not sure if anyone in the States does them, but here they're pretty cheap, and pretty cheap postage as well.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:55 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Step 1

Cut a rectangle piece of 1/4" foam core board. You can get a full sheet which is almost 2' x 3' for about $2-3 at any of the major craft stores. Cut the piece with an exacto blade or hobby knife that is sharp (new blade) so you do not tear the foam which will happen with a dull blade. The size should be the size you want for the models you are using. In War of the Ring case, you use the measurements provided in the rule books. Cavalry trays, Infantry Trays, Tray for the 9 wraiths as a unit, and a tray for siege bows. So you really can make all the trays you need this way and if they do get damaged (highly unlikely) then they are cheap to replace.

Step 2

Trace your base size as many times as needed in the locations you want to place the models on the tray. In this case I am making a infantry tray with a 1" base. I will place 8 of these circles on the base as 2 rows of 4.

Step 3

Cut through the top card layer. !!!ONLY!!! cut through the first card layer on the initial cut, this will make it easy to only cut the foam in the next step so you don't cut through. It is not the end of the world if you do cut throughout too.

Step 4

Now you should be able to poke in through the foam and feel the resistance when you hit the card on bottom. Reach that trace that circle again with the knife only cutting the foam layer.

Step 5

Poke your finger in there, don't be afraid you won't hurt it. And dig out that little circle. You are separating the foam from the card on the other side. Some Foam board is glued better than others, trust me you will know when you do an easy one then a hard one, but neither is difficult, just one is cake.

Step 6

You can start basing it right here if you want. It can be used just like this also. If you want to give it a little more strength and support to last many battles then you can wrap the edges and bottom in card stock. Card stock can be a back of a notebook, or a cereal box or other packaging in card.

Step 7

Base it with PVA white glue (or elmers Glue all is cheap and works fine) and sand and flock. Paint if to suit. You can make a lot of these with a sheet of foam core.

Here are examples;

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I have used MDF and a drill with different size hole saws (like you use for mounting door knobs), and then just used cereal box cardboard for a backing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:43 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Your ringwraiths are amazing Sithious. They have great personality.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I have a couple of PDFs on how to do this taken from the Last Alliance website about 5 years ago I can email them to you if you want

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:10 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have a friend who makes infantry and cav trays with his laser cutter. Actually better to use than the GW ones as, with no chamfer, they are easier to grip.

For the Three Hunters base, I knocked up a template for the top and bottom in Photoshop. Once printed, I stuck the templates to plasticard and cut them out. I glued them together using a few plasticard spacers of the correct height and then filled all the gaps with Milliput. Worked great but wouldn't want to do it for regular 8 base infantry trays!