All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 pm

Post subject: 1500 points Uruk-hai
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Again as before I have used painted models in my list and am seeking direction on what I should add next to complete the list to 1500 points.

Uruk-hai Phalanx
4 companies including captain and banner

Urukhai Beserkers

Urukhai Beserkers

Isengard Troll

Battering Ram

Ugluks raiders

Saruman

Grima

I've half painted a formation of scouts, 2 ballistas, 2 more trolls and some shield uruks. I need more commons formations... advice and thoughts please.

2014 Backlog Oathtaker (3 points)

Last edited by John on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: 1500 points Uruk-hai
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:31 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You'll want at least m e formation of warriors with shields, they are super tough. Probably two formations actually....
Crossbows are also really good, and maybe some warg riders.
I would drop the ram, they arnt very useful.

Also, could you remove the points values? Having them up is against board rules. You can put the total up there though.

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:11 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks. I should of read the rules.

I understand about the batttering ram. I've included it mainly because its one of the few I have painted. And i think it looks cool. :D

I would add crossbows but they are so expensive even on ebay. I have 9 so far but would like to increase that to 4 companies worth.

2014 Backlog Oathtaker (3 points)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:41 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yes. for isengard:

Uruks: , Crossbows are very useful, (but need a captain with them to be effective), then uruks with shields are very solid. Phalanx... take if you have or are short on crossbows or shields. I have a large Isengard army and have barely 3 companies of phalanx usable to fight, but enough for two reasonable formations of shield and crossbows each. The +1 Fight for Phalanx is less useful than the shields or the shooting.

Troll: Fun to see. But protect him. If you take trolls they are better in 2s or 3s or 4s working together, else they are fairly easy to be picked off by the enemy.

Beserkers. Solid. One handy trick is to put Saruman in with them and use Blessing of the Valar to bring them up to strength.

Ram: Consider it a 'cheap' troll and use it in conjunction with him or just drop it. Fun to see and use.. but ultimately slightly 'squishy'

Grima. Avoid. Not worth it. Drop him and take 2 more companies of fighting uruk Hai or some wargs or an extra company of anything and a Thryden.....

Thryden. Take a Thryden Wolfsbane if you can, a 50 point epic hero can't be bad. I have the official model and can use him as such, but I also have converted a special uruk captain and call him 'Lugdush' (is actually a named uruk leader in the LotR books) and use Thryden's statline for him.

Taking the War in Middle earth to a new level!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Varsku is a must and with his two shot crossbow. He's worth it.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wrong board, this is War of the Ring NOT the hobbit/lord of the rings SBG

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ok my bad. Varsku's talions.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

1 As everyone else said, get yourself some Uruks with crossbows. Those guys can easily kill a company a turn if you're lucky. You don't specifically need a captain, just put Saruman in there, Shatter Shields, some nice kill spells, and fire away.

2 Uruks with shields are also extremely good, not many formations that can take them in melée.

3 The pikes, on the other hand, are very squishy and not worth it at all (unless you go for their good looks, which I can totally imagine).

4 Every formation you have is rather squishy for it's points. Troll and ram die to a lucky round of archery/magic, or a single round of combat against a decent infantry formation. Berserkers are quite OK, but still can't really recieve a lot of pain either. As mentioned above, pikes have too low a defense for their points. Ugluk's Raiders I don't recall exactly, but if I'm not mistaken they're D4(6), which is also not enough, and they're more of a flank-attack-formation anyway. So you have a lot of hammers, but no anvil. I'd lose the pikes definitely and either the troll and ram or the berserkers or the Raiders for shield-Uruk's/other heavy infantry.

5 Lose Grima. His effect is completely useless to an Isengard army. Start an Angmar army after this if you really want to use him...

So, to wrap it up, you have lots of fragile heavy hitters. Ditch some of those and add more D7 infantry. I do think it's a very nice list themewise, even if it has it's problems powerwise.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If you want to add in some easy points, grab some Dark Age warriors from either Gripping Beast or Warlord Games. These can be happily and thematically proxied as Wild Men of Dunland. Alternatively, you could get Viking Warriors from the same sources above to proxy as Dunlending Hurscals.

These will add a good few numbers to your army to soak up damage, as well as throw out some clout with their 'For Vengeance!' special rule. The models themselves also happen to be great value for money.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Another popular proxy is Warlord Games Celts/Ancient Germans for Wild Men

:puppy:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I picked up some Wargames Factory Celt Cavalry to proxy for Dunland cavalry. I haven't had the chance to put the models together as they require a bit of modelling, but am curious how they scale up against GW Riders of Rohan.