All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 pm

Post subject: Re: David Terian - BilboOfTheWhiteTower :'(
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:57 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

This is very tragic, best wishes to his family and friends.

n.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I came back to OR for the first time in a while and saw this thread in the recent announcements section. As soon as I read the first line I was shocked by what I saw. Dave was always a good friend of mine on OR, and always a pleasure to chat to. I held him in the very highest regard, and have always thought of him as being what all One-Ringers should aspire to be - a man with a passion for the hobby and a great guy to be around.

So naturally it's hard to come to grips with his having passed away so suddenly. All I can say is that the hobby and the site have suffered a serious blow, and that I devoutly hope he rests in peace in Heaven - he deserves nothing less.

To you, Lisa, and all his family and friends, I offer my sincerest condolences. I hope you manage through this difficult time and come to terms with what has happened. You and he will all be in my prayers. God bless.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've been having trouble thinking of what to say. It almost seems silly to be so distraught over someone who I never met and didn't interact with all the time. Then I saw this:

Dorthonion wrote:
I found this on The Buffalo News website: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/buffal ... bLoggedOut

and learned he was from Buffalo, of all places! As the closest large American city, I've spent quite a lot of time in Buffalo. I frequented the old Walden Galleria GW while it was open. This immediately made the whole thing seem real, when the possibility arises that I may have crossed David's path in that store years ago.

He was a kind man, always generous and upbeat. His work was incredible; moreso considering his illness.
Ultimately, the influence of his own work and his encouragement to me have made my hobby more enjoyable. I don't see any reason why that would change because he's gone. Rest in peace, my friend. I'm sure the influx of new hobbyists that comes with The Hobbit will find the same joy and inspiration in your work as I did.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

ugh,...
I don't always take the time to go trough all of the forum, just saw this contribution one of the or members was making. I tought it was a very nice thing to do. I didn't really realised he passed away till i saw this post.. :(
I don't remember seeing a picture of him. But he still looks to young to pass away. Sad thing to happen.
*moment of silence¨*

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:12 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Okay I'm in shock. I've been busy with school the past few months and only came across this now and I had no idea. Read most of the thread replies here, his obituary link, a bit bewildered.

Like most of you here, I didn't know David personally. I didn't know his name, I only knew him as BilboOfTheWhiteTower and barely interacted with him much on this forum. It's funny how I sit at a table looking at my cpu monitor for hours writing to total complete strangers all across the globe that share a common interest, and only recognise them by their avatar pics and user names. You'd think one would not be affected so much, but truth is we're a community of people, BilboOfTheWhiteTower, David, is a real person, and then to learn that he is gone... it does have some affect. He was a staple on this site and the realization that he won't be here posting anymore saddens me and definitely leaves a hole in this community.

The Painting Challenge here is one of the major things that keeps my interest to this site. And to recognize and see recurring members participate and improve over and over. We could always count on Red Corsairs to set the whole thing up monthly (amazingly), and see the entries of: Garmenhord's picasso work, Edge67's overkill base work, talented jobs from DMS and Valpas, then there's Wah Wing, PowerOfWill and Minimal Monkey Saddle, and other regulars. And that's what I remember David for mostly personally. When I see a darkly toned miniature for an entry, I didn't need to see the username to recognize that it's BilboOfTheWhiteTower, it's his distinct style. I'm going to miss his entries, and even though I barely interacted with him on this site I'm going to miss him as well.

Condolences to his loved ones, be at peace

-Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:17 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Location: Chester, Cheshire, or Durham, Co. Durham, both England.
I'm very sorry to hear this. BoWT was a constant presence a decade ago when I first started getting involved in the hobby, and it's been comforting ever since to see him around and active whenever I've logged in. He produced some truly great articles. I knew he wasn't too well, but still, this is a shock for me. He and his family will be in my prayers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:23 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Even though I didn't know him personally, I did know his work before I started using my old account. In fact, it was one of the reasons to visit the site once in a while! His work was just stunning and really inspirational. I had even saved some pictures of his work on my computer to use as inspiration for whenever I would need it.

My sincerest condolences to those who knew him. :(
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

This is shocking news to read. I didn't know David personally, only through BOTWT here on the One Ring but this is tough to bear. I don't know what to say. My thoughts are with his family and close friends. The loss we are feeling here must be 100x greater to those knew him in person. His posts on here always made me smile and his conversions often helped inspire my own. A great inspiration for members here and one who will be sorely missed. I'm going to miss his kind messages and interesting posts and conversions and the avatar of Bilbo greeting us. He will continue to live on through our memories here and always be remembered.

RIP David

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I really dont know what to say, i've been reading this forum for years. I didn't know David personally, his topic was one of my favourites topics on the site. Couples days ago, he comment my topic, and now hes gone. Im really sad. I didn't know that death of person i didnt knew will touch me so hard.

My sincerest condolences from Poland, for his family.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:25 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I have only got back to OR recently came across this sad post.
I can only mirror what others have already said.
The gaming community will be a poorer place for David's absence.
My condolences.

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:55 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

For years now, since 2006 that is I have been keeping an eye on this website, looking through galleries and threads, I must say although I never even spoke to him, I will remember him, And I find it a great consolation that this community cares so much
:)
May he journey well...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:53 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

All I can say is farewell, Bilbo.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:55 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I've been off this site, other than replying to a few threads, for many a month now. I'm shocked to red this. David and I never met in person, we lived at the opposite ends of New York State, now I'll never get to meet him in person. We PMed frequently some years ago about the exploits of his all hobbit list and how his illness prevented him from painting sometimes. He told me how wonderfully supportive his wife Lisa was. My sincerest condolences.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Before the gates of another fortress, telling those maggots that they have to form ranks!
Ehm... It's strange that, after half a year of not being active on this site, this is the first thing that noticed me...

Like many others, I didn't have the chance of knowing Dave personally.
And because I wasn't as active in the painting part of the forum, I didn't really get into big conversation with him either.

But I always counted him among the old core of the One Ring, and had the greatest respect for him. It was one of those few that where there from the beginning and would stay forever.

So Dave, you probably don't know me, but I wish I would've had the chance to know you better.

My deepest condolences to Lisa and his family.

But also to you Matt, because I know how a great friend he was for you.

ps: Through this topic, I realise why I've missed this community so much. This is really one big family, isn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:41 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

My thoughts and prayers go with all his family and friends.

Corsair.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Truly terrible, had frequent contact with Dave due to trades and chat and such, he was a valuable asset to this community and a part of the family. He will be missed, thoughts go out to his next of kin..
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:58 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

This is terrible, truly we lost a great artist and more imporantly a good person.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:36 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I to have come back to this site after a short time away due to work and have been immensely saddened to hear of his passing. Like many others on here i only knew him from his many wonderful works on his wip and painting, he was one of the most creative and polite people i have ever met on the internet. He was always there to lend a kind word and never criticised anyone harshly but always tried to give constructive feedback. I am still in shock really and it is so painful to think that this wonderful, kind man will never again will depart his words of wisdom and friendship upon us again. This has been very hard to write for me as he was one of the reasons that i tried to persevere with the hobby. My condolences go out to his friends and family, he will be sorely missed by many and all of those on the OR.

Rest in peace Bilbo, may your road go ever on

Ed

:(