All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: David Terian - BilboOfTheWhiteTower :'(
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:13 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Sorry, I was unable to say much before because I was completely lost for words.

I knew Dave was ill and that it was getting worse daily, and I should understand it better since my sister is suffering from the same disease. But you always expect people to still be around whenever you look for them - and now he's gone. And I'll never get a chance to meet him and Lisa.

Dave's contribution to our community was exemplary - no one will ever come close to him with regards to his conversions especially. He was adventurous, mischievious, innovative, and inspirational in the combinations he would put together. Not all of them worked as well as he'd like, but that never deterred him from hacking up the next figure for another go. I remember his trade post was full of dismembered torsos and limbs from just about every figure in the range, but his passion was for filling the gaps in the Hobbit range - with Rosie Cotton, Will Whitfoot and many others. I have a couple of articles he wrote for converting hobbits that were never published anywhere - I will work on them and get them into our Article Library.

But aside from his mad skills with a hack saw, he was one of the nicest guys I have ever known and was always cheerful, generous and helpful. I loved him like a brother and I am so sorry that he's gone. It's been an honour to be able to count him as a friend and I am devastated that I never got a chance to meet him in person.

The One Ring has lost it's first member, and he was the best of us.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

This is a deep shock. I never met David nor did I know him as well as many in this community. However, his impact on the nature of this community cannot be over-estimated. Every single comment he made on other's work (and he made 100s) was supportive and respectful. You could always rely on him to give positive feedback no matter what. I've spent a lot of time looking at his painting recently because I was trying to emulate his painting style for some of my minis.

His kind and positive outlook should be a lesson to all of us - and we should respect his memory by vowing to support all members the same way he supported us.

My deepest sympathies are with Lisa and family.

David - you will be sorely missed mate - but never forgotten.

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:42 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have only just joined the forum so did not know David. However, it is a tribute to him to see how many people could see his kindness, talent and goodness even from just talking to him online. My heart and prayers go out to all who knew him and especially his wife and family

"Death is not extinguishing the light; it is only putting out the lamp because the dawn has come." -Rabindranath Tagore
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:55 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I am shocked to learn of David's death. Like the others that have posted, I genuinely enjoyed our interactions here, and on our blogs and Facebook. He will be greatly missed and I will be praying for his family.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It's very sad to hear of his passing.
He was a very positive influence on this site and he will be greatly missed.
My thoughts go out to his wife and family.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:12 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I can add little to what has been posted here but feel a need to comment if only for myself. I didn't know him nearly as well as many of you but have "seen" him here since I arrived and he has been one of the foundations that has kept this site the wonderful 'Shire' on the web that it is. He has shown again and again through the years not only a passion for the creative works we admire but a wonderfully skilled artist and more than that a great fellow to engage in a conversation with. Having only known him from his posts here I can still say I am lessened by the loss. I could only imagine the pain felt by those that have had a chance to engage him personally.

I am shocked by the suddenness of this as many of you are. I was not even aware he was so ill, having seen posts from him from only a few days ago I believe.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Tragic news, to be taken so young. I didn't know him well, but I found him always so positive and constructive with his comments on other people's work, and I really enjoyed the energy and humour he put into his own work too. I hope you're at peace, man. My thoughts go out to his family.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:58 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

What a lovely picture of him Matt, thank you so for your kind words. The only thing that is really helping me right now is to know how many people he touched and how much you all thought of him. He was a wonderful man and I loved him very much. Now I have to get serious because there is a lesson here. David was ill but David also went very dark, I didn't know how bad those demons were until this past weekend. He didn't have to pass the way he did, it was senseless and tragic not only for me but all the people around him that were cheated out of being his friend, wife, brother, uncle etc. I am feeling so many feelings right now. What is incredible to me is the love I see around me...so much love. You guys knew him over your mutual love for the hobby and you grew to love him. It takes my breath away to know how many people cared for him. I wish that he really knew how much he meant to so many. If I can say anything I will say this....what he didn't do was reach out to his family,friends or to me. If he had done so we may have been able to help. That is all water under the bridge now, I will never know. What I do know and will always carry with me is how much you all cared for him and how much pleasure and happiness he derived from not only the hobby but from all of you. It will never be forgotten, he will never be forgotten. Thank you all so much for your kindness. i wish I could hug each of you tonight and thank you in person...this seems a poor substitution but it will have to do.

Sincerely,
Lisa Terian
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:47 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

very saddened to hear, my deepest condolences to his family and those of you who call him brother and friend, I wish you peace.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:00 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Shocking and disheartening news. Bilbo of the White Tower was and will always be someone who truly helped make the One Ring what it is. He always had excellent comversions, a unique painting style, and positive comments to make. Lisa, my sincerest condolences go out to you and your family.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:25 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wow. It's taken a little while for this to truly sink in for me. I didn't know him well, but now I feel like I do. All these heart warming affirmations are exactly what he deserves. In the short time I spent on this site while David was here, I began to recognise him as hugely passionate and supportive about the hobby, whether it was his own work or somebody else's.

It's a sad day when you lose someone like David. My thoughts are with all who were close to him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:45 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I am profoundly shocked and deeply saddened to hear of this. I knew he was ill but he put so much time and creativity into his minis - all those clever, well-crafted conversions - that it was something in the background for me. Dave could be very, very funny in a gentle fashion. Can't type any more guys, just too wrecked at present. I am so, so sorry.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Rest in peace, David.

And my sincere condolences to your family.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:36 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I always appreciated his supportive comments and his outstanding WIP.
It's amazing that, from the little I've seen of him on this forum, I always thought of him as a great, nice guy.

Obviously he will be missed, my condolences.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I didn't really know him other then from his painting thread and the positive comments he left in my own thread but he seemed like a lovely guy with a great talent for modelling and painting, a sad loss.
I hope he finds peace in the halls of his ancestors.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm in a state of shock. Like many here I only knew David from his contributions to this site and wasn't even aware that he was ill but I'd just like to echo the quite moving comments that others have already written about him. He was a wonderful guy, always so positive and supportive to everybody and clearly passionate about our hobby. Will be sorely missed by all.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

David, I will miss you very much. You were one of the reasons I loved to visit this website.
My condolences to your family and I hope you find peace in the world of your dreams
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

David had been around here for even longer than I have. He was a trusted friend, and always had a good thing to say. I loved his brilliant converting skills and I was quick to emulate them with my own ideas. He was one who saw potential in me and encouraged me to sculpt my own stuff, of which he has bought at least one of each casting in full support of Majestic Bear Miniatures. He especially loved those "Tree Giants" and was regularly prompting me to create some more. Before he became ill, I enjoyed helping him with a few things on his Hobbit redux supplement, which I still have a copy of in its sadly unfinished state.

I for one will miss him dearly.

RIP David, and may the big man have a gaming table ready and waiting for yer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Didn't ever have much to do with him personally but he's always been around the place and one of the iconic members for me. It'll be different without him around and not in a good way. :(

My sympathies and condolences to his friends and family.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wow, this is very sad news. I too only knew him through his posts here, but he did seem to be a very nice person. He always had something nice to say, and was very encouraging. He was very imaginative with his conversions, and he was a solid painter too. It's people like him that make this place my favorite place to go, I only wish I could have got to know him better.
His family is in my prayers.

-PoW

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next