All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:58 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Discussion: Posting about miniatures and supplies for sale
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:12 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

There has recently been discussion about what kinds of announcements about having your miniatures for sale on eBay are appropriate. (EDIT: deleted the original thread on the request of the author)

We have a Trading Post, where members can trade minis for minis, and there are quite clear guidelines about how to do that. That should be pretty clear.

The trading post has been strictly a trading post, not a selling post, because we don't want to be a mediator for selling and buying involving money. That could cause trouble.

We have a Suppliers' Forum, where members can ask about where to get some items, and although it has not been explicitly mentioned, suppliers have been able to post news about their products that would be interesting for the members and answer members' questions about products. We should maybe write better guidelines about what is appropriate but so far it has worked well even without them. It is not for advertising, but for informing us. The line is of course quite unclear, but as I said, it has worked well.

We have News forum, which is generally used for heads-up messages about new products available - from GW or from other sources. These news have not usually been posted by the company or person responsible for the product (well, we still don't have GW as a member... :-) ).

What we don't have is a place where members can post about their miniatures being available on eBay and other places like that. That could be arranged, since then OR would not be the place where the things are sold, just a place where members can notify each other that something interesting is for sale.

My personal opinion is that we don't need that kind of forum or post those things on some existing forum unless the item being sold is something that is not generally available. Anyone can buy a box of WoMT in the nearest GW and that being available from some member's eBay is not newsworthy. Something original (like an original sculpt), a home made terrain piece or an out-of-production regular miniature would be useful to know and would deserve a post. We could use the News and rumours forum for that.

Your thoughts?

-- Pasi

Post subject: Re: Discussion: Posting about miniatures and supplies for sa
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:23 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yep mate I totally agree about this. I saw about the situation with ukfreddy and something like this needed to be discussed. Hope he hasn't left the site. :pray:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I agree too mate, unusual or hard to find items deserve a mention but probably not their own forum, I for one would be interested.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

To tell you the truth I found a few (not all) of those members who were policing on that topic thread to be annoying rather than the topic itself for possibly being in the wrong forum. Although they may have a point that you can't just have anyone on here come up and push their products as news, but it's not like Freddy was spamming some unrelated product to the core subject of this entire site which is LOTR miniatures, albeit GW miniatures. I mean if there's a problem is it not simpler to pm you Valpas or others in your position rather than cause a stir?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

In my opinion, if someone has something interesting to sell (like ukfreddy's original sculpts or someone's entire collection of a decade,etc)
it's worth it to mention it in either the news or the suppliers forum.
But for normal hobby "advertisement" a special forum might be usefull.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would say leave the 'normal' stuff. We don't really need a forum for that, anybody can search on e-bay if they want it. Having said that anything unique or one of a kind, or self made, or rare would be fine to post about imo. As abviously that stuff would not be posted too often, probably just once a month or so. And in the case of Freddy's stuff I was totally glad to see him post them up, as if I had the cash I would have been interested in them. And seeing as they are a piece of O-R history (imo) it was good that he posted their sale up. I also have no problem with people posting 'wanted' posts for rare/ hard to find stuff, as I enjoy finding them and helping people complete their collection. E.g.: brent's post for the rare mahud, or the one for the armoured boromir with banner. (or was that on tla, can't remember now. :oops: )

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sacrilege83 wrote:
To tell you the truth I found a few (not all) of those members who were policing on that topic thread to be annoying rather than the topic itself for possibly being in the wrong forum. Although they may have a point that you can't just have anyone on here come up and push their products as news, but it's not like Freddy was spamming some unrelated product to the core subject of this entire site which is LOTR miniatures, albeit GW miniatures. I mean if there's a problem is it not simpler to pm you Valpas or others in your position rather than cause a stir?

I also agree it's like they didnt bother to look at what he posted and they just tried to be a smarty pants saying that it shouldn't be in news section.

But we don't need to b**** about it any longer and just find a solution.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:25 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Dave checked it with me first and I said it was ok. I felt that his minis were a significant part of the history of the game and also of this community and it would be as important a piece of news as if Garry Morley or Ebob were selling off an original master model. Dave got his start in the business by winning a sculpting tool set from the One Ring and has been a great supporter of the One Ring over the years.

I wouldn't like to speculate that many of the people who complained here are the same ones who joined in the discussions over at another site, so I'll leave that unsaid.

Discussion is over, topic is locked.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]