All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:25 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:17 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Could you please send me my score Potenza when its done :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The winner will be announced together with his/her score and the correct answers. Everyone else can ask for their result via PM, but I invite everyone to check the solutions once they're online and see for yourself.

Two days left, hurry hurry hurry!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:12 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

It took me some time but it was worth it! Awesome initiatif mate! Great great job!
Many thanks for putting this together!

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:52 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Sent mine last night . . . some of the questions where pritty good :-)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:28 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Just submitted my results. I really shouldn't be such a procrastinator on these things!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:11 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

All received, many thanks boys!

Last day today, the Quiz closes at midnight.
The results and winner will be anounced tomorrow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:18 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Good luck to all who entered, and many thanks to Potenza for running the quiz - man, some of those questions were hard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ladies and Gentlemen, the winner is...

Nah, let's do the answers first!

a) Tolkien and Jackson’s world

1. Helm’s Deep was surrounded by three tall and jagged mountains. How were they called and what does it mean?

Answer: Thrihyrne - Three Horns

2. Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings trilogy was nominated for a certain amount of Acadamy Awards (Oscars). How much nominations received the three movies together, and how much did they win of those nominations (all together as well).

Answer: 30 nominations - 17 wins

Note: almost everybody used the individual scores for each film as well in his/her answer, which is good, but no extra points for that!

3. Under which name was Gandalf known in the undying lands? When was he send to Middle Earth and by who’s command? Why?

Answer: Olorin - around the year 1000 of the Third Age - by Manwe & Varda (Valar) - to oppose Sauron

Note: most of you answered on the last part of the question "to aid the Elves and man" - which is correct, but somewhere in the answer I wanted to see Sauron. Otherwise Gandalf and other the Istari could have been send to aid the Elves and Man with the production proces of potatoes in Middle Earth...

4. One of the Lord of the Rings actors played a small role for a while in the Australian Television Series “All Saints”, during the filming of the Lord of the Rings. What’s his real name and what’s the name of his character in the Lord of the Rings trilogy?

Answer: John Noble – Denethor

Note: Some of you were clever enough to find Marton Csokas (Lord Celeborn). Unfortunatly he only made a guest appearance in one episode whilest John Noble appeared in several episodes as one of the main characters. But because I was charmed by the cleverness of those who found Marton Csokas I only took one point of, but there's still a difference between "a role" and "an appearance".

5. What’s the chief mark of royalty of the North-kingdom of Arnor? Did this chief mark still exist at the end of the third Age, and if so, how old was it at that moment?

Answer: The Sceptre of Annúminas – yes, circa 5000 years old

b) The Hobby and our Community

6. What was the name of the first Gaming Supplement Games Workshop released for their Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game? The Supplement Book is divided into two sections, what’s the first part about (one word, a location in Middle Earth)?

Answer: Shadow and Flame – Moria

7. All kind of competitions on the site are designed and run by the Competition Committee, a team of dedicated, hard-working, beer-swilling rock pigs. Give three random usernames (nicknames) of members who are currently in this committee (without the admins). Add their first names too.

Answer: Azog, Pete – Nygyll of Wyvernhole, Tony – gondorian_knight, Dave – Potenza, Klaas

Note: this became in no time the most difficult question of all, which I found amazing. This question was meant to banish anonymous members who are only interested in winning the price. Appearantly we, the committee, are almost unknown. But it wasn't my intention to make a hard question with this one, sorry for that! And no, Mac (Miguel) is NO member of the committee! He's just decor really...

8. One the best Sculptors with an extensive shop is Ebob, of course. One of his newest models is the superb Giant Eagle. For this miniature he also sells two different bases. Give both official names (descriptions used by Ebob) and add their diameter as well.

Answer: Rocky Outcrop & Woodland, fallen trees – 60 mm

9. If you would like to make trees yourself you can use two articles from the valuable One-Ring Article Library. How are both articles titled and who made them (nickname)? On which date were they submitted?

Answer: “Simple Grape Stem Trees” – Azog – 25-10-2005
“Twisted Trees” – Dagorlad – 15-09-2005

10. On the official Lord of the Rings page from Games Workshop you can find some hobby-related articles like scenarios and conversion guides. How many painting guides are available for the realm of Isengard?

Answer: 5 articles

Note: for those who weren't sure, I was referring to the UK version indeed, but nodbody got this one wrong anyway.

That's it, not so difficult after all eh?
(It took me less then an hour to make it...)

I won't post everybody's score, simply because this may cause people start arguing with me and eachother about their scores. I invite everyone who participated to read the answers and notes, and I'm sure you can 'calculate' your score. Two points can be one with each question, depending on the amount of sub-answers everybody should be able to get a clear view of their score.

Perpahs you might think I've been very harsh on several questions (like, the difference between a role and a guest appearance). Yes, you're totally right to say so. And I did it that way with reason. I wanted a quiz with clear varaitions in score, I didn't wanted to see it end with almost everybody scoring 20/20 - otherwise we could have raffled the mini. Feel free to disagree, but I assure you all every single one of you got the fairest score.

I hope you all enjoyed this little piece of entertainment. I hope you all understand I've put some time in this, more then anyone of you needed to find the answers. So don't be sad if you could't score 20/20, the only thing that matters is the funfactor!

If you have suggestions for us, we might do something similair in future, please send me or someone else of the committee (now you all know us!) a PM and we'll have a look at it.

Right, that's it, nothing more to say!

Or wait...

The winner is, after being selected (two members managed it to score a perfect 20/20) by an innocent hand (my little sister!)...

Tarararaa

[spoiler]BrentS![/spoiler]

Congratulations, the Invisible Frodo will soon be yours!
In the mean time, you can start finding a paint guide.

Yours,

Potty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:18 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Congratulations BrentS. You won on a coin toss!

Was I the other perfect scorer, Potty?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:39 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Congrats BrentS!
Well deserved! A perfect 20/20 ... wow!
I got fooled by the scepter... as I went for the Star of Elendil... :S

And some small other things... lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

WOW! I'm quite happy, thanks so much! It took quite a bit of research for me to pull all those answers together. Figuring out the competition committee and their real names was the hardest for sure! I guess I got lucky on the coin flip :oops: Thanks again to the One Ring and Potenza for a full contest!

Potenza wrote:
Congratulations, the Invisible Frodo will soon be yours!
In the mean time, you can start finding a paint guide.

I'm not even sure how to go about painting an invisble figure :wink:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ukfreddybear wrote:
Was I the other perfect scorer, Potty?

Yes you were! And actually, it seemed like you would be the winner for quite a long time. Brent was the very last one to send his answers... But don't blame me, the innoncent hand picked Brent :)

So, Freddy deserves some honour as well - mr. Runner-up!
Besides, everybody who participated deserves honour!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:44 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well Done Brent!
I suppose you should... varnish the invisible Frodo? :)

I know where my mistake was anyway... put Azog up for question 7 but not his name.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:14 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Well done to BrentS and a hearty thanks to Potenza for coming up with a fascinating quiz.

Maybe this could become an annual event?

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:42 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Oooh, so close. And I was pretty confident too! Pipped at the final post as it were.

I imagine Brent that you are a bit of an ebay sniper, swooping in at the last possible second to snatch victory, just like you did here! :wink:

Thanks for the compy Potty. It was fun! The diorama will just have to wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

ukfreddybear wrote:

I imagine Brent that you are a bit of an ebay sniper, swooping in at the last possible second to snatch victory, just like you did here! :wink:

I've sniped an eBay auction in my day but I must confess that was not my intention here! In my typical procrastination mode, I almost didn't get my entry finished - however, on Tuesday night (in the US), I was surfing the web while watching American Idol I had some time finish up.

I wasn't entirely confident that the got the competition committee question correct. Even if correctly named three people, I really didn't think I'd be able to come up thier first names. For what its worth, I went through ever page in the "Member News" forum to get a clue about peoples names from Happy Birthday messages. That yielded two names and the third was unearthed looking as messages in member's galleries!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:14 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I must have read at least half the OR site looking for those names, until I suddenly dug them up in some old topic on the committee's role (all names except gondorian knight). For the names I was just spying on the Chatbox for ages when I finally thought of looking in the "Find your opponent" thread where a good number of first names are listed...
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Turgon3j wrote:
For the names I was just spying on the Chatbox for ages when I finally thought of looking in the "Find your opponent" thread where a good number of first names are listed...

Darn, that would have saved me a lot of time.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:48 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Thank you Klaas for running such a challenging quiz. And thank you to everyone who entered. (Klaas, could you please send me a list of their names and their scores so I can award some 'Gold Coins' to each. Thanks)

Well done UKFreddyBear and BrentS for getting full marks (I was stumped on the age of the Sceptre of Annuminas and the number of Oscar nominations), and congratulations to BrentS for winning the Frodo model (its becoming increasingly difficult to find that model these days, so he's definitely a collector's item).

Can you please contact DurinsBane or myself with your address details and we'll ship that out to you straight away.

I'd like to see this done as an annual event if the Committee is willing - we'd try and find some very rare models as prizes (now where did I put that spare Gimli on Uruk-hai blister).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I imagined the real names could be a slight problem, but I never expected it to be such a problem! I hope you all know there's a "Member list" available on this site. You can easily consult who has which function on this site...

I'll send the full list immediatly, Alan. Check your PM-Inbox!

And yes, I wouldn't mind doing this again if you liked it. To be honnest I've got other ideas as well (for this kind of small competitions).
But first, the new Awards are about to come, yesss my love!