All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:18 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Everyone did a great job, really! The amount of entries was also nothing to complain about. Especially the 30+ entries fighting for the greatest honour in the Painting Category was heartwarming. It makes it all worth :)

Congratulations to everyone who participated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:01 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the comment Beowulf03809! I actually thought of doing the same thing for some Castellans, but it was too time consuming. Instead I tried a different experiment with making spectral Castellans with glowing swords (of course the swords now remind me of light sabers :lol: ).

The Necromancer was inspired by this one http://www.coolminiornot.com/130643 which I think is really amazing. Unfortunately, I did a lot of trial and error painting it, and I found it very time consuming and frustrating trying to do the reverse highlighting. I've even changed it since I took the photos for the competition. So I don't think I could put together a very good article since I never came up with a consistent technique that was time efficient.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

thanks a lot to everybody that voted for us or who left some critism or opion, we are really honoured to be two times second :D also, really amazing we were chosen by commitee choice award! thanks a lot to eveybody and congrats to everybody who has entered...
this whole community is really great and we al learn so much from eachother. eveyone, keep up the good work and if somebody maybe has some questions about painting or something, we always want to give some advise of tips or something..
sorry for my english... :wink:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

awcho wrote:
Thanks for the comment Beowulf03809! I actually thought of doing the same thing for some Castellans, but it was too time consuming. Instead I tried a different experiment with making spectral Castellans with glowing swords (of course the swords now remind me of light sabers :lol: ).

The Necromancer was inspired by this one http://www.coolminiornot.com/130643 which I think is really amazing. Unfortunately, I did a lot of trial and error painting it, and I found it very time consuming and frustrating trying to do the reverse highlighting. I've even changed it since I took the photos for the competition. So I don't think I could put together a very good article since I never came up with a consistent technique that was time efficient.

I understand that completely. Maybe some more pics of various angles and some thoughts on what you remember of the color selection would at least give a jump start. I have some pretty decent images of Minas Morgul that I was using as my initial inspiration but it's going to be a bit of trial and error to get something that looks right. At least I have a few Castellans and can commit one to "experimentation mode". 8)

I had looked as those other threads in the past as well. The purple one is impressive but not my taste at all. Most of the others are also well done (like the mostly-red one) but not really what I'm interrested in. Yours was the first I've seen that did a good job getting the "green glow" look.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject: Suggesting changes
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The ORA are great and I enjoyed the last one very much. A while back I remember someone saying that they'd like suggestions for the ORA.

I have a few that might make it run a little sweeter.

Voting - would best be limited to just two weeks. Most members who visit the site regularly are well aware of the awards and I would guess that most of them voted pretty early on during the last awards. A whole month is a very long time for all entrants to wait, gnawing their fingernails away.

Announcing winners and revealing votes for each entry - I would like to suggest arranging the deadline for voting at a convenient time for the moderator who will be assigned the task of announcing the winners (not mid-night). Then, as soon as the votes are published (automatically) the moderator can make an official post of winners and runners up straight away.

Here's hoping these ideas are useful!
Kind regards,
Natarn Ulka.