All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:21 am

Post subject: One Ring Awards - Master Craftsman theme revealed !
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:52 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The Master Craftsman Theme for the relaunched One Ring Awards is:-

Production in Middle Earth

We would like you to create a themed entry of your choice to do with the
activity of making something to be used by any of the cultures in Middle Earth.

For example, this might be growing things in Hobbiton, Horse Taming in Rohan or the creation of the Uruk-hai themselves in the Birthing Pits of Isenguard. It might include the creation of the Rings of Power by the Elves, or the One Ring by Sauron the Deceiver. Perhaps you might enter a themed entry showing how Gandalf produces his fantastic fireworks. Does he have a workshop ? Or maybe a dwarf standing over an anvil making a mithril shirt. The final choice is down to you.

If your entry was a single miniature then some form of customisation would probably be required to properly reflect this theme. Hopefully this will encourage a more ambitious piece of work than a typical One Ring Awards entry and might well appeal to the more established hobbyist, although EVERYONE is welcome to submit an entry. Indeed, a well
thought out entry from a relative beginner might well come out on top.

It is important when creating your entry that members should keep in mind how well it fits the chosen theme in addition to the overall quality of the work itself. The votes cast be the members should reflect how well the winning entry has met both of these criteria.

Good Luck Master Craftsmen .. 8)

The Competition Committee

Azog

Forum Guidelines
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25260

Last edited by Azog on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:49 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Just a query/clarification question: since farms produce food, vineyards produce grapes (for wine etc) and plantations produce pipeweed, do they count as production in Middle-earth, or is it more strictly the making of something rather than the growing/cultivation aspect. If that is so, then no farms but, for example, the hobbit bakery where Bilbo's 111th birthday cake was made, would be eligible for entry.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:11 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Quote:
farms produce food, vineyards produce grapes (for wine etc) and plantations produce pipeweed, do they count as production in Middle-earth,

when i first read it it sort of sounded like you were planning to make and enter pipeweed in the competition

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:02 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Dorth .. and others .. the idea of this theme is the act of producing something" within a Middle Earth context. To my mind, cultivation or growth is producing an item that can be used by a resident of Middle Earth. The item produced could be or enjoyed or feared depending upon what is being produced. This theme can apply to any being in Middle Earth and tries to get you thinking in a novel or original way about the hobby.

Since you, the members, will be voting, it will depend on each member to judge for themselves how well an entry meets the double criteria of "theme" and good or original work when they are casting their votes. If your interpretation of the theme is vague, other members might not 'get' your attempt of meeting the theme. In some respects, a single mini is probably at a disadvantage without other items to emphasise the theme. Having said that, the ingenuity of a member to produce a single mini that is excellent work AND meets the theme in a novel way with a fantastic modification to the stock mini might be considered a winner by the voters.

As such there is no wrong entry, a member can submit anything they want provided it doesn't go against any restrictions identified in the General Rules for your entry be it a mini, diorama, terrain or sculpt. All restrictions identified in the General Rules for a normal entry apply in the 'Master Craftsman' category too.

If you don't do a very good job of matching your entry to the theme, it is possible you work won't be rated as high as another persons work who has tried to create a novel or original entry. You might therefore get less votes by ignoring the theme.

Obviously, we cannot influence the voting of the members, but we have requested:-

Quote:
When voting for this award, members should keep in mind how well each entry fits the LOTR theme, established at the end of the previous competition, in addition to the overall quality of the work itself.

We are hoping that the theme will really get people thinking originally about Middle Earth and since this category is open to all, there is a chance that a novel entry from a beginner might win this category. The result, as always, is in the hands of the members.

Azog

Forum Guidelines
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25260
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:59 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Ooooh... I missed this one... a zillion of ideas is already crossing my mind, I just hope I actually get to make at least one of them. :lol:

I originally thought there would be some kind of juri for this one, like in the committees choice award.

Hmm, better to start planning something. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ahhh yes, like Mac said, a zillion ideas, now I just need a zillion minutes! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:25 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm thinking of a picture in the art of TTT book of 'growing' uruks, I may have to have a shot at it...
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:33 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Something useful to keep in mind: try to keep your ideas private - we don't want quarrels when the Awards start about "That was my idea, you maggot!". Plus, it will increase the surprise effect!

Be careful though, as always make sure you have at least one WiP picture. It's not our custom to ask for it, but if you come with something totally unseen, we might want to see how (and if) you did that :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:46 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Remember, The Workers control the means of Production! :P

I have the same thoughts as Mac and Dave - I have so many ideas, but which one to pick, and will I have the time... I have a few ideas I had been holding back for a while, but I may advance them to the front of my line.

Potenza wrote:
Be careful though, as always make sure you have at least one WiP picture. It's not our custom to ask for it, but if you come with something totally unseen, we might want to see how (and if) you did that

If the theme is "Production in Middle-earth", doesn't a WiP count as "production" by default? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:17 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Don't wait too long, we are really willing to see "la crème de la crème", the best of the best - but part of the challenge is to do it fairly quickly. 36 days before categories are openend, and 30 days to enter your work, that's not very much lads. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:50 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well,this may sound like a stupid question but where do you get the stuff to make figures??I have an idea which i like.Itll probably turn out rubbish as this would be my first attempt and it will have to be quite rushed (36 days) but its worth a shot.So what things would i need and where can i get them

Thanks

TheElvenLord
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:12 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Do you mean GreenStuff? You should be able to find it in any GW (or hobby) store. If not, you can simply try the online stores or even eBay.

There are olher brands like Milliput or Andreas Putty that should be easilly available in hobby shops too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:27 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well im going to St.Austell Hobby Centre Tomorrow (thats the biggest hobby shop in Cornwall but is a long way away),i will look there,thanks MacGothmog.Hopefully i will get my entry in.May i ask,it says 36 days at the top,but is that the deadline,if not could someone tell me when it is.I will be relieved if its more than 36 days away as it gives me more time.

Thanks

TheElvenLord

PS.Just to add a little suspense ,Its something to do with my username and is something i do all the time.Can you guess?Probably not.lol.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

TheElvenLord wrote:
May i ask,it says 36 days at the top,but is that the deadline,if not could someone tell me when it is.I will be relieved if its more than 36 days away as it gives me more time.

In 36 days the awards will start accepting entries - you will have 30 days from then to submit your entry before voting starts.

So effectively you have 66 days until the deadline for your entry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:02 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Excellent,that gives me decent time for an entry.I will also post a WIP after the awards have ended.
Thanks you Josephaghababa

TheElvenLord
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Joseph is totally right, however, try to focus on those 36 days. You will be able to enter your work for about a month. However, this might be a few days shorter. So don't plan to enter on the very last day, the sooner your work is uploaded the better.

But it's not a bad idea either to do it more slowly and enter your work, say, about two weaks after the Awards have started. Waiting any longer might, I say might, be dangerous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

HEY GUYS, I recently got out of a non O-R phase which lasted a couple of months it was really good for me to rekindle the burning hobby desire.. Any way I was wondering when the o-r awards after this one are, as I doubt my big project fit the criteria and that I will be finish with it in time.

Thanks TB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The idea is to run our Awards twice a year. By doing so we are hoping to have more and better entries (which doesn't mean that they were bad in the past, but you know what I'm trying to say). I can't give a specific date, but it will be somewhere around the end of Winter and the beginning of Spring (like we're doing it now towards the end of Summer and the beginning of Autumn - Bilbo's Birthday!).