All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:21 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm hoping to enter two categories (painting and conversion) assuming real life family issues don't take a bite into my hobby life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:16 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Azog wrote:

In general I would say it would be nice to limit your entry to the One Ring, but I am realistic to realise that people frequent other hobby sites and may wish to enter a submitted piece elsewhere.

ahh I see, o will make a Only OR next time then!! :D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:32 am 
Administrator
Administrator

There are so many sites around the place that our member's enjoy visiting besides here: World of Miniatures, the Last Alliance, The Palantir, CMON, etc etc, and it would be unfair to say 'OR-only guys' when it came to entering the competition.

But we think we've given you enough time to prepare for the OR Awards, we've had the countdown running now for 35 days and you've still got plenty of time to make a start on something new if you want to.

So it would be great to see new material and new talents coming out for our Awards - especially since the prizes are pretty darned good too (there's a Birch Tree Giant from UKFreddyBear in amongst them). It's the best miniatures competition on the web quite honestly, so it'd be great if people made that extra effort.

I reckon I will be entering the terrain contest next time around (can't do it this time because I have been busy with so many other projects), but I'm looking forward to seeing what the 'opposition' is like in next month's competition!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:54 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I've got a question about entering the beginner category. Do you know yet how you are going to evaluate this status? I've only been painting minis for less than a year so in some aspects I'm very much a beginner. However, I'd like to think that I've progressed enough to enter the general competition. Should I go ahead and register as a beginner and let the committee judge for itself??
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Deciding wether you're a beginner or not is an old pain. Some people find it hard to realise that their work is average (or even below), whilest others strongly believe that what they produce is nothing more than beginners work. To help with this struggle members will have to registrate if they would like to participate the Beginners Category.

One of these the registration page will be placed online, allowing every member to (pre-) upload their entry. Committee will decide if it is Beginners work, and can join the competition. So yes, in the end it's us who decides, but the first step is yours anyway.

EDIT: Beginners Registration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:41 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

One question about competitions. What's the picture size limitations and pic dimensions. Because I have to start thinking about how to present my bigger project

www.independent-painters.blogspot.com/
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:59 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

800 x 800 pixels, 128K.

GIF, JPG, PNG file formats accepted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:27 am 
I am going to be making a start on my entry today, hopefully I can acomplish a fair bit by the end of the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:20 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Since we are only allowed one entry, can the photos for the entry be "photoshopped" such that they show split images (lets say the front and back of something?) I know that a lot of gallery images do this.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:36 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Although im not on the comittee, ill answer ur question, yes you can!

To show both the front and back you can photoshop it! You can even do so I believe for the background like if you want to photoshop the background I believe you can do that! The only "photoshopping" you cant do is on the model, for example making a sword looking more shinier than it actually is!

Hope that Helps :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:59 am 
Administrator
Administrator

CapOfMen is right, you can merge two or more images of the model into one picture to show the back and front if you like.

The sort of photoshopping we're trying to stomp on is people enhancing the image to hide any faults or 'improve' the painting quality - you know, the sorts of things WD do in their articles... ooops did I really say that? Just kidding!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:32 am 
Quote:
This includes miniatures painted on your behalf by another and the submission of major, commercially available, terrain items.

Does this include resin bases, these are commercially available and are very popular now. I use them nearly all the time and they do enhance a model especially if you are not confident at making scenic bases.
I would just like to know before I complete my entry as i don't want to be disqualified by falling foul of this rule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm not sure, and I am not in the competition comitee but I would say its ok to use resin bases, as long as you paint them, or else we would have to sculpt our own minis too.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Resin bases are mostly, if not always, okay. A base is a only a small part of the full Miniature, mostly not very remarkable. That rule is meant to avoid terrain entries that are no more than a bought item with a paintjob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:30 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

um...i've got a question about the craftsmen competition, what is counted as production???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:45 pm 
thanks for the answer mate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

skully wrote:
um...i've got a question about the craftsmen competition, what is counted as production???

Any kind of Middle-Earth industry, agriculture, fabrication, manufacturing,... you can think off. This covers so much options, it would suprise me if you can't find a good idea yourself actually. I can't give you examples either, I might reveal someone's project without knowing - but if you aren't sure wether your idea suits the theme you can always PM one of us.