All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:43 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Moria Gate - Mountain Spur primed
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

What is this gesso you speak of? Looks wonderful.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:50 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Gesso is a thick white primer that seals, stiffens and provides a painting surface. I usually use it on my plaster of Paris projects to make them stronger and fill on gaps between blocks. An artist product, I use Luquitex Basics.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:25 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I am irked. Had a few minutes before I had to put everything away so I thought I would see how a wash looked. Don't know if it is the gesso, the spray paint, the insulation board or a combination of all three but it is too well sealed and won't take the wash. Have not had this problem with gesso before so I am thinking it is the spray paint, don't know.

Tried some dry brush and that worked but I am irked.

When I get a chance I will spray paint it black to darken the crevasses and work from there.

Post subject: Re: Moria Gate - Getting close
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My irkness (is that a word?) is solved. It was the primer that was giving me problems. I had forgot my rule that when doing terrain, go cheap. I had bought a better primer than I usually get and it did too good of a job. Bought my $1 black spray primer, did my craft paint grey dry brush and felt better about it all.

This primer took the wash and I started doing different colors dry brushing, added some tea leaves scatter and some tuffs. Still need to work on the water run in the middle and of course keep fooling around with it.

This side shows more of the cutting into the insulation board vs breaking hunks off.

The insulation board actually worked better than I thought it would, easy to break off and score to show off the dry brushing well.

Some closer looks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:34 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Glad you were able to solve that. The final piece looks really, really nice. You outdid yourself with this piece of terrain I'd say :) I like the tufts and moss you added. I think that really brings the terrain to life :yay:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks Kurbio.

Using the Dungeon Keeper in his original design as Azog, coming out of the gate to challenge the dwarves.

Interior shot found on minecraft middle earth.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

What a fantastic image! Would you consider adding a bit of moss to the cracks and crevices of the gate? That is the only thing I can think of to improve that awesome image! I always love your atmospheric photos :)

Post subject: Re: Moria Gate - Western Spur
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Kuribo - I hadn't really dirtied up the top of the gate yet, waiting to have the spurs done and doing something above the gate. Did add some additional wash and tea leaves on top for now though :-)

Worked on the western spur, so far only the primer and dry brush done.

Has some stairs leading up to a platform for either the dwarf ballista or the orc drums. I called it a battle platform, my wife called it a patio (?!?)

Here are both spurs on the board. (forgot to put on the stairs)

Besides the painting/teal leaves/tuffs, I am torn if I need to redo the eastern spur to match more aesthetically with the western. I feel the eastern is too blockish in comparison with the western. Thoughts? Or did the dwarves use the eastern spur to build the stairs and gate? :D

Post subject: Re: Moria Gate - Western Spur
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

How did I miss this thread until now? Really nice work, Mapper! If you're looking for opinions, I fear I'm only going to muddy the waters because my tastes run to slightly preferring the shape/texture of the western arm but the color of the eastern.

But whichever way you go it's going to be an impressive bit of scenery.
 Post subject: Re: Moria Gate - Mea Culpa
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

With a handle of Mapper, you would think I would know better.

What I have been calling the east and west spur should have been called the northern and southern spurs. Looking at the East Gate of Moria, the spur to the right would be to the north of the gate and the spur to the left the southern spur.

oops.

DaveT - I haven't finished painting the southern spur yet, still deciding on what to do with the northern spur.

Post subject: Re: Moria Gate - Mea Culpa
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:54 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I have to admit, the Southern Spur is sculpted in a much more realistic fashion to my eyes. The Northern is a bit too blocky to match the aesthetics of the movies but that doesn't mean it doesn't look cool :) There are some cool (and unnatural looking) stones that are blocky in the Dragon Age Origins game that they remind me of. I thought that the stones might be more playable that way and that was why you kept some square (and more importantly, flat!) surfaces.

With that said, I think the Northern Spur has a more realistic paint job and has a bit more color and life to it. I think the Southern Spur is darker and uses colder colors which would make it a better fit for Mordor than a place the dwarves call home. Perhaps if you lighten it or use some more of the colors in the Northern Spur, it will look better? I think it would be good to have a little bit of overlap with the gate area color-wise like the Northern Spur seems to. That is just my two cents though. I'm sure you'll figure out what is best in due time 8)

Post subject: Re: Moria Gate - Update
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Redid the right side of the northern spur, added the mountain rocks to the back board, gave it all a black undercoat and a grey dry brush. Now I can start detailing it all with earth color paints, tuffs, etc.

Might add some more mountain rocks above the gate, need to look at it more.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That looks great. Love the perspective painting in the doorway.

You need to get some minis on that scenery. :)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Won't be able to do any updates on this for awhile, so have some figures on it!

Balin leading his expedition to reclaim Moria.

Be careful what you might awake.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wow, this is sensational work, my friend! :-D :yay: I really like how the gate and steps are a bit lighter than the rock so you naturally place your focus there. The images with the minis just make the scene come to life that much more. You really outdid yourself with this terrain and the time you put into it is definitely worth it!

Post subject: Re: The East Gate of Moria - done!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

First, apologies for the picture heavy post.

Finished painting, flocking and sealing the East Gate of Moria.

The North Spur

As a stand alone piece with the side gate

The Gate

The Southern Spur

As a stand alone piece with a bottom step added

Of course, with figures added.

With Balin's expedition approaching, the Goblin King decides to take the offensive and summons his forces.

The drums and shamans begin their call

The goblins pour forth to do battle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:23 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

My goodness that is a lot of goblins! Its nice to see the terrain finished and the trademark cinematic photos as well :D It really does look fantastic and was worth the hard work!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Agreed! Looks great on its own but even better with the figures.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks everyone!

I had to play around with some more figures on it.

While doing so, I thought it looked too green, so went back and did a grey dry brush to highlight the rocks more and make the difference between the flock and stones more distinct.

Just thought it needed the edge highlighting to show that the underlying rock was grey and that is what the dwarves used to make the statues/gateway.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:45 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Great images. Seeing the dwarves heading into the painted gateway calls to mind Wile E. Coyote. :)

Time to put it to use!
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next