All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:52 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The East Gate of Moria - done!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:35 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

DaveT - still have some Dwarves to paint before Balin can do his expedition and waiting for GW to restock Grim Hammers (they seem to have a different interpretation of temporary than I do).

Love the Wile E. Coyote reference :-D :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That extra touch of gray really worked well to bring the stone look back to the rocks. Hopefully the restock the grim hammers soon. Makes me wonder how long I could have been waiting for the Master and Alfrid to get restocked had you not sent me them! Also, I think I see a style of tuft that I recognize on those rocks. If that is something I sent you, then I'm really pleased to see them getting used :yay:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

For DaveT :-D

did a quick platform for inside, walls of shaper sheet I had done before for the inside of Moria

Wile will have to run further now before running into the fake wall.

Kuribo - yes, those are your tuffs!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:42 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Aces! :)
 Post subject: Redoing the East Gate
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yes, I decided to take the plunge and redo my East Gate of Moria :o

As it is going to be part of a game board, I wanted something more dramatic (?). I looked for some Dwarven Statues to replace my chess pieces statues I currently used.

Current Gate.

Looked at thormillion statues.

Then I saw these on Reddit

Made with a 3d printer from a company in the UK. https://www.whitefoot3dshop.com/

More expensive than what I usually spend but I liked the scale, thought they would make a statement on the board. He sold them with a gate but I asked if he could just sell the statues and the plinths. He accommodated and I ordered them. I'll put more particulars under the Suppliers Forum.

Built a new gate frame to see how I wanted to use them. Sorry for the whiteness, only had a piece of white cardboard big enough to put behind.

With the plinths on top of the gate platform

Plinths to be at the same level as the gate platform

My wife thinks with the plinths on top of the platform the statues are too tall, will make a platform and stairs that will fit between the plinths or I might just use the statues without the plinths on top of a platform.

So it begins.

Post subject: Re: Redoing the East Gate
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:02 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I actually liked the chessmen, but, yeah, the Whitefoot models are more dramatic. (Thanks for the pointer, btw). I'm looking forward to seeing how the reworking goes, and hope it see it in action sometime!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wow those statues are mighty, I actually like them on top of the platforms it looks very imposing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:57 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

DaveT, I like the chessmen also, just feel I've used them too much. That said, I probably will use them on the board elsewhere. Either at the entrance to Durin's Stone or as Tylus mentioned, another place on the board for the dwarves, maybe a glade.

Mr Gimli, imposing is what I was going for!

Looking at my existing gate, filled in the mountain down to the gate itself, don't know why I didn't do it before

Did some work on the statues this week, used a x-acto to shave down some prominent print lines, did several layers of gesso to smooth the whole statue down.

Need better weather to prime them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:13 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

There's no doubt that the scale of the 3D printed statues is more in line with this terrain piece. Personally, I like that they're armored too as I feel like that is what the dwarves would make to "guard" the entrance of their kingdom. The smaller statues are perfect as "memorial" statues to some of the dwarven kings of old I'd say and it seems like you're already thinking something similar :) I am excited to see those statues weathered up like the stones (unless you're for a brass or bronze finish). Adding a moss effect like the stones have will really make them look nice I think.

Post subject: Re: New East Gate
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Old East Gate on left, new one on right. Went big.

Just on it's own base for now, still figuring out how big of a platform. Added depth to this, farther to go before running into the Wile E. Coyote wall.

Nain confronting Azog with his mattock

Young Dain avenging his father's death

Dwarf king converted to Nain with the addition of a mattock head, original axe head went to dwarf captain to make him a Khazad Guard captain, that axe head when to young Dain (Gimli head, grim hammer body)

Post subject: Re: New East Gate
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 3:55 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That new gate was well worth putting the time into. Now that is a gate worthy of Durin himself! I look forward to seeing it all painted up and among the other terrain you've completed. The conversions don't look too shabby either :yay:

Post subject: Re: Statue drybrush
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:58 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Had some nice weather to sit outside and do some dry bushing. Thought I would do something different with the statues, usually I start out dark and then go grey, wash, grey, white.

Did a base color of sand, then light dry brushes of grey, then white. Kinda of a wind worn look I think. Still need to do some selective washes in the recesses, etc but I'm rather hesitant as I like the look now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That is a nice and clean-looking statue! I'd definitely encourage you to add some shade in there if you can. Keeping the wash thin with water or Lahmia Medium should help you build it up/decide how far you want to go.

This won't surprise you but I like a bit more contrast and I can share what I do. My method for painting something rocky is to start with a medium or dark gray so either Dawnstone, Mechanicus Gray, or Eshin Gray, and then highlight in "layers" of drybrushing and I'll go lighter and lighter with each color so Dawnstone > Administratum Gray > Ulthuan Gray > White Scar. You don't even need to clean off your drybrush in between those as the colors mix on the bristles and make it look pretty smooth. I don't know if that info is of any use to you but I thought I'd share and you can do with it, what you will 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yup, the statue is too clean, just haven't had the time to "dirty" it up. Appreciate you sharing your layering scheme, most of the time my terrain projects are too large to use gw paints and I use craft paints instead, with the associated lack of finesse. I really need to look into lahmia medium, do you use gw's or a brand from a craft/artist supply store?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:31 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I always forget that the more widely accepted practice is to use cheaper craft paints, I'm a maniac and use GW paints for everything, probably because I'm comfortable with them and I'm a creature of habit! I use GW's product for medium but I would encourage you to match the brand of medium with the paint you're using. If I used Vallejo, I'd get Vallejo's medium as I would expect that they are formulated to work together. You can use water to thin paint too but I think medium delivers superior results, especially with washes.

Post subject: East Gate progress?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Haven't had much progress on this as I would like as I need to work on this outside my hobby space, so either on the workbench or outside.

Mountain face with plaster molds of rocks, still need to do the right outside and the facing walls next to the gate before I can fill in gaps, hide lines,etc.

With the gate and statues placed.

Still haven't figures out the terrain/slope/road etc.

Post subject: Re: East Gate progress?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:30 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Its great to see some progress on this. The scale of it is pretty epic looking! I really like the look of those statues. They look imposing and very dwarven to me. Looking forward to seeing more as you have the inspiration to work on it!

Post subject: Re: East Gate primed
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sealed the plaster of paris walls with gesso, did a light wash to show details better. Dwarf Kings on steps for reference

Post subject: Re: East Gate, getting closer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:34 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Had time with the weather being nice and no chores to work on this. Fairly happy with the color of the mountain side itself, added some wash to the statues to help define the features, still have a lot of work to do.

At the end of the table, mountain side cut at the top to fit under window sill, and below the light switch.

the lookout area at the top left

having a discussion with my wife on the colors, she thinks the mountain side needs to be more grey to blend with the gate more (as it was carved out of the mountain), I say I like it being different so it stands out better. My thinking is that under the top part of the rocks, it would be more grey underneath. Another thought is to color the gate to match the mountain side by making it more brown.

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: East Gate, getting closer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think you ought to do it the way you like, not like how we (or even your wife, with all due respect) think. :)

I don't especially mind the contrast, but if you want to tone it down a bit maybe a light wash of brown on the grey wouldn't go amiss.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next