All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:41 am

Post subject: Hirst Arts mold 200
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wall Builder Mold #200
Used to make quick wall sections, floors and walkways.

Ordered this mold as I wanted to make a simple Gondorian wall. It is only one sided but that was ok as I hadn't planned on having it an open building.

The mold result.

As you can see, it interlocks. Since I use plaster of paris, it's easy to cut off the ends or use other blocks to fill in to make an even end to the wall or floor.

You could glue them back to back to make a wall, here I put a cap on it with other blocks from another mold.

Just some pics playing around with it.

A dead end.

Simple wall and platform

With arches and statues.

Another way for the statues.

For a simple mold, it's quite a versatile in it's uses and it is easy to pour with very few areas for air bubbles to form.

Post subject: Re: Hirst Arts mold 200
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:25 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

This is a great mould. I like using the last bits of plaster that are a bit hard in it, you can smear it in like peanut butter and it still turns out well. My Minas Tirith walls are made out of this glued onto 1" foam. So simple. It also makes for a decent road.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:11 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Nice show case of the mold. This one is on my list to get one day. Mainly to use a Great Khan described; making the walls of MT. One day.
So much Hirst stuff is perfect for LoTR. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:00 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Came in here a week ago and thought - "That looks awesome". You inspired me to order some plaster of paris and get my moulds out again for the first time in 10 years. I had an awesome time watching Fellowship and casting last weekend!

It's really impressive how well made these are. Such consistent results no matter the material.

My WIP: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=21545&start=40
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The molds looks very nice. Maybe I will buy some of them, at end of summer I think, but still, it seems very good.
Two questions about it:
What kind of plaster do you use? (and if possible, a brand that is sold in the Netherlands/Europe would be nice, if someone from Europe or even the Nethterlands is reading this and knows one)
What kind of glue do you use to make it a solid building? Is there a special glue for this, or can it be done with a lot of glues?
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I just use plaster of paris, here in the US it is cheap and if I make mistakes (see gondor wall thread) I don't feel too bad about breaking it up and starting new. I use Tacky Glue to glue my pieces together, also use Elmer's white glue sometimes - no need for a special glue.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Just a word of caution I discovered while using this mold. If you use several together they may not measure up to the blocks you add. The distance between blocks on the mold are tighter than ones you might get when glueing single blocks together. Extra care will be needed to tighten blocks together if you are adding blocks on top of or against this mold.