All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 am

Post subject: Lake Town House review
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Now that I have had the kit for several days, I thought I would share my impressions of it.

Overall, I think it is a good model, but it could have been a great model.

First impressions – comes in the GW white box with no cover art – so strictly mail-order. Seems like a lost opportunity to sell it in stores as an impulse buy.

Flash was non-existent and mold lines easily removed. The house and piers were easily dry fitted together and will take minimal green stuff to fill in any gaps.

The attention to detail on the house and the separate pieces is outstanding, my only minor complaint here is I wish that the fish gargoyles they provided were of the fish on the bell tower and master’s house vs what they provided.

The scale of the house and piers vs the row boat is inconsistent, it seems like they did the scale of the house and piers with a figure minus its base – it would have worked better if the house was just a bit bigger.

The piers barely fit one figure across, if they had made them to fit a 32mm base so you could have a mounted warg on them and it would have been better for a least staggering two figures on them. Battles on the piers will be basically one vs one with support behind.

The dock/base for the house barely fits the house and a figure next to it. I felt if they had provided four pillars for the house it would have made more sense. The house isn’t designed for interior fighting so the need for a floor doesn’t exist.

The roof I felt would have fit the lake town theme better if the slates were more fish scale looking as they did on one part of the wall and if they had provided a ridgeline piece.

This model does allow itself to kit-bashing and I wonder how other makers houses/house bits such as Thomarillian/Ziterdes wooden dock and house pieces would compare in size. Their platform would add a nice fighting arena to this model. Rather expensive for my taste but not everyone has the time or access to a good hobby store to build their own.

I will probably use this house as a customs house and build a larger and taller dock to fit my barge.

Am I glad I bought the model – yes. Will I buy another – no. I understand the limits of the spruces and cost – but I feel the kit would have more versatility and potential for buying extra sets if GW had just done a bit more.