All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:04 pm

Post subject: What is the difference between these foams?
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:07 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

What is the difference between Styrofoam and INSULATION BOARD?

I want to create a diorama and dont really know what to sue as a base. Last time I made a diorama, I ended up using A4 foam-boards but this time, it is a bigger diorama.

I have been recommended both of these to use as a base, but I dont know which one to use as I do not know the difference.

Thank you
 Post subject: Re: What is the difference between these foams?
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:10 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Styrofoam is a brand name.

I use the pink foam shown. Notice Pink is a trade slogan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styrofoam

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

What you really want to know is the difference between beaded styrofoam and Dow insulation board.
Beaded styrofaom is usually found as packing material and is easily broken. It's generally white and you can see all the beads that make up the board.
Dow Insulation board is dense, usually pink or blue and extremely durable.

Go with the Dow and avoid the beaded stuff at all costs.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:18 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I ended up getting insulation board a few weeks ago, the display is going a lot slower than I thought it would, mainly down to the weather. Plus unforeseen problems such as, I did not take in to account that the foam board would bend and not stay straight. And things like that, another stage I am adding, which I didnt original plan is to paper-mache the whole board, just to strengthen it up.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:28 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

TheWolverine wrote:
I ended up getting insulation board a few weeks ago, the display is going a lot slower than I thought it would, mainly down to the weather. Plus unforeseen problems such as, I did not take in to account that the foam board would bend and not stay straight. And things like that, another stage I am adding, which I didnt original plan is to paper-mache the whole board, just to strengthen it up.

I do not think Paper-mache is the answer. :?
Explain what you want to make and exactly what you purchased.
Are you going to support the board with a table? Or will the board be self supporting like a train board?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:36 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

This table was built to support 4' by 6' insulation board sheets. 3/4" or 1" thickness was perfectly fine for home use. The insulation board is not tough enough for the retail store. I made a hardboard and plywood board to fit. You can see the insulation board is still on the bottom support.

I use the same methods to finish MDF, plywood, hardboard and insulation foam.

Drywall mud/filler

latex paint

Blended craft paint colors. The rock surface is pine bark

Woodland Scenic Flocking and Mod Podge for water

You can see a 3/4" by 4' by 8' Pink insulation board in the background. That size board would need to be framed. However you can purchase it in 2' by 2' sheets that are rigid enough and modular enough for the kitchen table.

2" thick insulation foam is also available.

I like to use the thicker sheets of insulation foam for mountains

White beaded foam or Styrofoam requires a base of cardboard or MDF and foam coat

See this link http://hotwirefoamfactory.com/Foam-Coat-Foam-Glue-Foam/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpbOzjnAueI

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I am making a Alien vs Predator display/stand for the neca figures. I had glued the base onto wood. It is being made on a table but will be moved onto a large shelf area

I thought the back and sides would be ok with hardwood, but it didnt fully straighten them out. I have attached one of the side walls and the back wall. The Back Wall, I did attached the rest of the wood, the same as I used on the base, but I did not have enough to finish both sides, so with the odd cuts I had left over I have attached them to the back, just to try and straighten them out a little bit more.

I think I will paper-mache the whole piece, not just for the strength but to cover up little gashes in the insulation board.

Apart from the bending of the "walls" everything else has gone ok, I had planned the whole display out and planned a number of the little bits out, such as the walk way and steps and "river."
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:52 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The walls are on, just waiting for the glue to set, I thought it was set, removed the support and it wasnt fully set. :/

Oldman Willow wrote:

This table was built to support 4' by 6' insulation board sheets. 3/4" or 1" thickness was perfectly fine for home use. The insulation board is not tough enough for the retail store. I made a hardboard and plywood board to fit. You can see the insulation board is still on the bottom support.

I use the same methods to finish MDF, plywood, hardboard and insulation foam.

Drywall mud/filler

latex paint

Blended craft paint colors. The rock surface is pine bark

Woodland Scenic Flocking and Mod Podge for water

You can see a 3/4" by 4' by 8' Pink insulation board in the background. That size board would need to be framed. However you can purchase it in 2' by 2' sheets that are rigid enough and modular enough for the kitchen table.

2" thick insulation foam is also available.

I like to use the thicker sheets of insulation foam for mountains

White beaded foam or Styrofoam requires a base of cardboard or MDF and foam coat

See this link http://hotwirefoamfactory.com/Foam-Coat-Foam-Glue-Foam/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpbOzjnAueI
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:31 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I will be starting again with my display, I wasnt 100% happy with it anyway, but I added the resin for a river and it set too quickly, and expanded, breaking the banks, I tried to wipe it off, but by that time it was too late.

So this time, I am only using the insulation foam as the base, (I will glue that onto some wood) and then wooden sides and back piece.

Luckily I ordered two Insulation boards as there was an offer on it. But....I have wasted quite abit of cash on that one. ;/
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:38 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

TheWolverine wrote:
I will be starting again with my display, I wasnt 100% happy with it anyway, but I added the resin for a river and it set too quickly, and expanded, breaking the banks, I tried to wipe it off, but by that time it was too late.

So this time, I am only using the insulation foam as the base, (I will glue that onto some wood) and then wooden sides and back piece.

Luckily I ordered two Insulation boards as there was an offer on it. But....I have wasted quite abit of cash on that one. ;/

What kind of resin?

A photo is wort a thousand words.Take one with your phone and show us what happened. We all learn from our mistakes and the mistakes of others. I have made some spectacular mistakes over the years.

Too much catalyst can make resin set too fast or too hot.