All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:38 am

Post subject: The Deeping Wall?
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I would like to be able to model the battlefield for a Helm's Deep scenario later this summer and have come up with a problem. I have the old GW "Helms Deep" model to represent the citadel, but I'm at a loss to represent the Deeping Wall. There was someone who was making straight wall sections to match the GW model, but that was years ago and can't find their website anymore. :roll:

My plan was to place the GW model in the corner of the table, and then run straight wall sections along the adjacent table edge

Does anyone know of a company that makes sections of suitably sized crenelated stone walls I could use? I'd don't really have the time, skill or inclination to scratch build the walls myself so I'm hoping for a commercial product close enough to use.

Thanks! 8)

“The Ring has awoken, it’s heard its masters call.”
– Gandalf
 Post subject: Re: The Deeping Wall?
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:26 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

This article was written years before the movie and uses an OOP GW fortress.
http://larsen-family.us/~1066/helmsdeep.html

I favor this product over many more realistic walls because the wall was designed with/for Old siege book and rules all years out of print. You can still find them on ebay from time to time.

I built my walls to fit with the scenario books.

I used the octagon tower mold and the wall builder#200 from Hirst Arts to match the Helms Deep GW model.

I Found a better design later.

Here is the early wall that Matches the height of the GW model.

You can match the stone pattern by engraving foam with a pen if you prefer.

In this photo you can see that the Deeping wall is made from several sections of the Original Mighty Fortress and a Wooden Tower also long OOP.

Note the other tower described in the book but not in the movie. The OOP Wooden tower represents the removable if destroyed section.

This drawing referenced in the above article was drawn on an envelope by JRR shows the Deeping wall as a wooden placade.

Post subject: Re: The Deeping Wall?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for sharing that, Oldman Willow! That's a beautiful set up to run the scenario on, and your write up gave me some ideas to tweak my own version of the scenario and terrain.

As far as the Hirst Arts pieces go, they do make for a beautiful wall, but I really need something premade. I'll be lucky to have all the miniatures I'll need painted up before the game, I simply don't have time to cast, assemble and paint the Deeping Wall, too. :(

Thanks again!

“The Ring has awoken, it’s heard its masters call.”
– Gandalf