All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:53 am

Post subject: new terrain website for HSBG "Wright War Game Terrain"
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:24 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Check out some awesome terrain for HSBG on http://www.wrightwargameterrain.com

!!!!!!!!! What do you think???

Last edited by aw1909 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: new terrain website for HSBG "Wright War Game Terrain"
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:22 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

While i understand that not everyone is able ( or enjoys ) making terrain to a standard that they find acceptable, but i believe that it is part of the fun. I have built a full scale rhosgobel and i enjoy it so much, because not only did i spend a lot of time to attention and detail, but because i made it myself. Honestly, whilst some of those pieces are nice, those prices are ridiculously high. A basic hobbit house for $120, no thanks. The ruined fortress doesnt have enough detail for me, the stairs arent even straight. Well thats my opinion. That being said, its great to have a company out there who is creating stuff for our great hobby. Pm me if you wanna chat any more.

tl;dr Meh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:52 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Structures are interesting, but the paint jobs are very amateur.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:50 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Gene Parmesan wrote:
the paint jobs are very amateur.

Yeah thats the first thing i saw. That ruined fortress is all mono-coloured. it seems the only technique used was one layer of drybrushing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:49 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Honestly looking at the paint jobs of the Hobbit Terrain and the custom order's sets, I think the site shows great paint jobs in many instances. Though I do agree that the abandoned fortress looks a little monotone, though this may be due to lighting and picture quality of the photo.

However I love the Rivendell set! I think it's very colorful and im really interested in how they did the waterfalls!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, there's some very exciting and well crafted pieces that are simply epic to battle on! The elf town is beautiful! The cost of material, time, and shipping for the size of these layouts is all calculated. Designing and selling an exciting environment for lord of the rings miniatures enhances the game and promotes the game as well. Enjoy playing the hobbit strategy battle game!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:06 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I would rather see some kind of terrain on the table than none. I can not agree about cost.Building terrain takes time. Time cost money. If he can sell it more power to him.

I would like to see the Rhosgobel model.I am at a loss on how to build one myself.
I also would like to see more interest in terrain in general.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:10 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'm not a great terrain crafter (yet) but I do paint professionally. And I'd agree with the above sentiments. The terrain isn't bad, my first thought was honestly that they were a little plain in some areas, the elf building roofs for example.

I'm still learning how to price this kind of commission stuff, as currently my prices are WAY lower than others who paint to a similar standard

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:30 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

JamesR wrote:
I'm not a great terrain crafter (yet) but I do paint professionally. And I'd agree with the above sentiments. The terrain isn't bad, my first thought was honestly that they were a little plain in some areas, the elf building roofs for example.

I'm still learning how to price this kind of commission stuff, as currently my prices are WAY lower than others who paint to a similar standard

I like the rock in Goblin Town, the ruined tower and open country. I do not like the seams on the Evil fortress. It is a bit monochrome. Correcting this to my satisfaction would double the cost. Putting shingles on the elf buildings would triple the cost. There is way more time involved in creating terrain than people realise.

I really like the dome on one of the Elf city buildings. Where did that come from.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yea terrain does take so t of time and patience. Pricing is done with three variables time (what's ur rate per hour?) Cost of material (foam, paint, glue , foliage) and shipping. Larger packages across the country add up! The dome in elf town are three hexagons made out of balsa that are glued together on top. I like them too
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:52 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

aw1909 wrote:
Yea terrain does take so t of time and patience. Pricing is done with three variables time (what's ur rate per hour?) Cost of material (foam, paint, glue , foliage) and shipping. Larger packages across the country add up! The dome in elf town are three hexagons made out of balsa that are glued together on top. I like them too

I have been looking at the photos on the website. I am a fan of the Abandoned Fortress. Nice playable layout. Very cool Hill of Sorcery.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I like the terrain that you have made especially the elven city, I can also understand your price rate it maybe be expensive but you took a week time for it and you made a full/part time job from it. For wich it is reasonable to take it. Thanks for letting me know this site, I will contact you oneday if I am going to need your aid for a specific piece of terrain!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Absolutely! Thank you I appreciate it
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Terrain making just like Mini painting is time consuming and if you do it for a living then prices will reflect this.

As a simple comparison check out

http://www.battleboards.co.uk/

Lots of prices listed throughout the site and will help provide a yard stick against which to measure price vs quality, what you can get for your money etc etc
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yeah i only looked at the hobbit house and ruined fortress. I didnt know that the boards came with them.
Yeah Rivendell does look alright but i do agree about the roofs. But i must admit the waterfalls are kinda cool.
And the evil terrain set, idk what its for but that river would make a good swimming pools for some Nids aha
@Oldman Willow I got that concept art and built the tree out of different sticks and twigs from the garden, then filled in the gaps and the joins. Then measured and put in walls accordingly to the measurements between the sticks. I made it out of foamcore, put perspex windows in, and a thatch roof. I wonder how i could put it up on here/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:13 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have actually seen some of these boards in person and I have to say I like them alot. The ones I have seen were used in a Games workshop for a local hobby group, and it was very fitting for the battle. On the site, I really like the Amon Hen design and the waterfalls on the Rivendell (or Elf City)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

All i have to say is 650 dollars for a half empty amon hen board? Lololol my ass....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:49 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

You don't have to like or understand the price of Amon Hen but have some decency. thanks for your disrespect on this forum discussion. Everyone appreciates it
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:55 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ok lets not get carried away. Lets keep this thread argument free. But i must say that i do like the hill of Amon Hen but then it does just go into nothingness if you know what i mean. However i suppose you could put your own trees there. But I suppose thats what LordoftheBrownRing meant. 650 is a high price for that. You do have some obvious terrain building skills but with a bit more effort, the effects of the terrain will go heaps further, like putting the shingles on the roof like Oldman Willow said. You know you did put this up for peoples opinion, lets keep it nice people

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I agree , opinions are fine, I don't care for the wording Lordofthebrownring used to share his opinion, its rude. i have customers that could be viewing this forum who have already purchased these terrain pieces. Amom Hen is 6ftx3ft, I need to update pics because there's another section that's not in the photos. The openess is simply for large point armies to maneuver. Shipping alone on that size layout was $187 !! Then there's the time and material. It all adds up. I agree the extra step can transform terrain into a better piece (like the shingles). That's extra time and material too, which effects price. Doing this as a full time job you have to consider all costs to make sure its worth it because its a living !
I am excited to build Laketown as my next release , should be a very exciting layout for scenarios!! Part of it will be scorched from Smaug...........!