All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 pm

Post subject: Need help deciding
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Last winter I ended up without enough figures primed and projects ready for work during the winter months. I like to spray primer outside and summer is better for working with hirst arts molds (I can do both in the winter but takes longer for both and gets in the way too much)

So I am looking at building a center of evil so to speak. I have nine statues that can be used for the nine men turned to ringwraiths and I am having a hard time deciding what kind of structure to build for them. Scenarios being built in my head include Aragorn and fellow rangers hearing of Gollum being held and going to retrieve him before he tells too much or Legolas and some either wood elves or mirkwood rangers trying to recapture Gollum from the orcs that helped rescued him.

The two choices I am pondering is either a circular one similar to Weathertop or a hallway set piece like Balin's tomb.

I have a half circle Elf structure already

that I would basically duplicate with maybe higher arches and filling in more of the circle, to maybe being placed in a wooded glen, kinda like this:

Or I started doing a hallway that could either be inside or again in a wooded glen

But I don't know which way I want to go and need to start casting some blocks. Suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Need help deciding
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:33 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I like the hallway, as it feels more grand and powerful which is the impression I get from evil. Just looking at your two mock-ups, the hallway feels more sinister (though maybe that's what I'm used to from video games). Or you corrupt/desecrate what was initially a good monument which also seems common, particularly for Orcs. Either way it'll depend on the surrounds to make it really works, with darker colours and no plant life (or sickly if it exists).
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:37 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I would say either mock up works well enough but it depends on the size of the board you are planning on using. Where in Middle Earth you are placing it: an open area; I'd go for the circlurar temple look. For a mountain top or ruins, then go hallway.
Just my two cents worth.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:33 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I agree with First Ager Smith: it ultimately depends on the environs of the piece. In my opinion the rectangular configuration is more befitting to underground structures, while the crescent to raised ones. Nevertheless taken out of context I would choose the crescent, for I prefer it as a shape, and believe it offers more variety in play.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Both ideas are good, I can't think of much else.
To me, I think that the hallway type is more playable, as it has a bit more open space, but not if you intend on putting arches between them - instead you could put the arches behind the statues and leave the gaps to go through. This would make it better as a gaming piece.
As a display piece though, hall with statue between arches is typical and does a good job.

Again for display, I would choose the circle as it feels more ominous to me. I think it is important that it is 180 degrees only, and not much more if it can be helped otherwise its not gameable as whoever is inside is trapped.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Both are good for games, and can fit into a variety of locations.

One thing I'll say is that the rectangular one, imo, best emphasises the character of the Nazgul, if that's important (and the statues would suggest so). The Nine have a single, defined, leader, who I doubt would willingly elevate his others to positions of equal respect and power. The round room has a sort of 'round table' thing going for it - giving a sense of equality and nobility to any gathering of the Nazgul there, which would feel a bit off. I'd personally rather emphasise the Witch King's dominance of the group by giving him a place at the top of the hall. In that way it's almost like the other royal courts featured in LotR, think Meduseld, or the Throne Room at Minas Tirith, but ruined from misuse and the service of evil. A proper gathering place for the Nazgul. When the Witch King calls. Just a thought.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks everyone for your input. Still thinking about how I will use it, which will help determine the round vs long.

Hodush, thanks for reminding me about playability as well as looks, I agree the circle might limit the action inside.

Creaky, while I agree about the "round table", I also think of it as the center of evil :).

Again, thanks, still have some thinking to do. Of course now I am thinking about instead of a hallway having it a series of levels going up with the last of the nine at the top.