All times are UTC

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:17 am

Post subject: Castle Building
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have this nice corner in a room in my house with a slanted side, and I was thinking of build a Minas Tirith style castle there, with floors and walls just out of cheap painted wood with glue and maybe a few screws.

My main Evil army is Isengard, and so I was thinking of getting some ladders once the castle is finished. So my question is just can someone who owns one of these ladders tell me their height so I can base the height of the castle on that. Thanks
 Post subject: Re: Castle Building
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:54 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

What do you mean by this slant? if you could take some pictures it would make it easier for me to help you :)

Sounds like a great idea though 8)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hiya the height is about 12cm excluding the spikes at the top (see pic) and it's about 2.5cm wide. It might be worth making a card template so you are able to try it against your walls...

Hope this helps :)

Good luck with the project.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:18 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

One of my sourcebooks mentioned this, so I just wanted to point it out. You can make ladders any height you want, but if they are more than 6"/12cm, then models can't get to the top in a single turn, and are very likely to get the ladder pushed down on top of them.
So gaming-wise, walls are usually 6"/12cm high or less (unless you really, really care about scale and accuracy).

Forth Eorlingas!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:54 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Excellent point, ChristsSoldier- it is best to keep the walls under 6"- usually I have done mine between 4.5-5". They tend to work well, but it is ultimately up to you! Looking forward to hearing more about the project!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:47 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The size of the whole area in 105cm x 80cm. Does anyone who has made something like this know any tips?

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/G8rRM
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:24 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

ChristsSoldier wrote:
One of my sourcebooks mentioned this, so I just wanted to point it out. You can make ladders any height you want, but if they are more than 6"/12cm, then models can't get to the top in a single turn, and are very likely to get the ladder pushed down on top of them.
So gaming-wise, walls are usually 6"/12cm high or less (unless you really, really care about scale and accuracy).

Or if your opponent is a complete jerk, like mine. How the heck are dwarves gonna make a 12in wall.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Draugluin wrote:
ChristsSoldier wrote:

Or if your opponent is a complete jerk, like mine. How the heck are dwarves gonna make a 12in wall.

What do you mean make?
How they are going to build a wall?
Or climb up on ladders?

Use some battering rams to break open the main gate and keep pressure on it.
Keep picking of the enemy on the battlements with your ranged weapons.
And make sure that you have a couple of dwarves on the ladder so it is harder to push it down.

Once you have a couple of dwarves on the battlements keep defending until you have more dwarves ready to climb up.

Dwarves are not the ideal warriors to besiege the enemy, but once they have a foothold there is a big chance of victory.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:36 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

No, how are a bunch of half in figures going to make (build) a 12in wall is what I said. He plays dwarves, who just happen to be the best defenders of any race.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:40 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Dwarves would have no trouble building walls of any height. They built all that awesomeness in Khazad-dum, after all.

But! For the sake of good sportsmanship, yes, the guy should have made the walls short enough for you to play reasonably - or else let you have a house rule of hooks at the end of the ladder to hold it in place. There is real, historical precedent (to say nothing of them being easily spotted at Helm's Deep in TT movie) for that after all.

@ Firinsazor: Were you wanting to make this display playable or purely a diorama? I think that everything else would depend on that distinction.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:42 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Draugluin wrote:
ChristsSoldier wrote:

Wow, haha, that's a good point. And Hobbits would have even more trouble. I think I made my walls 5in because I liked the scale there (for a small outpost/small city wall feel), but I guess that was really good for my dwarf friend. You could always houserule that they can move all the way to the top if you're playing with a 6in. wall.

Edit: Oh, did you say 12 in? Wow, now that is really mean, especially with dwarves. :?

Forth Eorlingas!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:34 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Nah, just give the attacker more points, sooner or later you will make it to the top or break through the gate.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:24 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The Horde Lord wrote:
Nah, just give the attacker more points, sooner or later you will make it to the top or break through the gate.

We did that, but he was fortunately dumb enough to not include a door. I just ignored the walls and warg rushed the door. When he inevitably lost, he blamed the point difference. I blame his lack of brains. :lol:

No, I mean the dwarves were defending, not attacking. Yes they made Khazad-Dum, but you should see this thing. Imagine a deep quarry, now invert it. It has no courtyard or anything, it's literally just a 12in high circle.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

So, there is no way of getting up and down from the wall? That doesen't sound like a castle at all.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

EXACTLY! But he won't listen to me! He's one of those powergamer wannabes. I came up with some pretty balanced house rules, that make certain faction that really need it better, but since dwarves are more than good enough already, I didn't do anything with them. He then started complaining about how his dwarrves are no longer any good, even though they have a winning record (that he keeps ignoring).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:26 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Why don't you ask if you can defend the castle/[word deleted] the next time, if he looses, he'll probably bitch a lot or just smile and admit his douchbaggerisms. Out of curiosity, waht kind of house rules where you introducing.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:16 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I have, I even offered to use the exact same models that he used! But he refuses!

Mostly adding rules like Rohirrim can use throwing spears as regular spears, but not if they threw them that turn. Stuff like that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

So, is this guy 8 or something. Can't really say I care for you houserule, it's not like Rohan is useless anymore. Besides, adding spears to an army that doesen't have it is quite a drastic messure.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:01 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

But paying 2pts for something that you'll get to throw maybe once is pretty useless, just letting them support with a next to useless 2 pt weapon isn't that drastic.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:02 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You can throw it any time you charge, which is 50% of the time, but you use heroic move to get it up to 60% of the time. Now, th throwing weapon is strength 3, the same as your warrior, you hit half the time, which is probably more frequently than you win fights, and you don't even run the risk of getting killed. So, no, it's not useless at all.